Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bend_design
Blue Screen Again
Views: 608
Message 1 of 8

Yoga 910 Won't Charge While On

I have a Yoga 910 with maybe 20 hours of use (I've had it 2 years). Currently, it will not charge while the laptop is on. While the system is on and plugged in, the plugged in symbol will occasionally flash and the screen dims when this happens. The laptop will only run on battery power. If I turn the laptop off it will eventually charge (seems to take longer than it should).

I'm using the OEM charger it came with as well as an OEM charger I just purchased (same for both)
BIOS is out of date, but I cannot update as the laptop will not register that it is plugged in...
I updated the ACPI driver from the Lenovo website (it's from 12/2016 though)

Is there any way to get around the having to be plugged in BIOS update issue? Or what else could it be? Since it charges while it's shut off it seems like it's a software issue and it just started doing this all of a sudden...

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 583
Message 2 of 8

Re: Yoga 910 Won't Charge While On

Hi bend_design!

Welcome to the community forums.

When did the issue start? Is there a recent change or update on the laptop prior to this issue? Could you try to perform a Power Drain on the laptop and check if the issue remains? You can follow the steps below on how to perform a Power Drain.

1. Shut down the laptop
2. Unplug the charger
3. Press and hold the Power Button for 10-15 seconds.
4. Reconnect the charger and restart the laptop.

Let us now how it goes.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

bend_design
Blue Screen Again
Views: 568
Message 3 of 8

Hi and thanks for your response. This laptop was on loan to a friend when this issue started so I'm not completely sure if it happened after an update or not. My friend says it did, but she isn't sure what the update was and she's a little "iffy" on exactly when it happened. Even though the laptop is 2 years old, it literally has about 20 hours worth of actual use. It's spent the vast majority of it's life safely tucked away in a laptop bag...

I tried the battery drain. It didn't do anything. The issue persists and now it doesn't appear the laptop is even charging while it's off. The battery is down to 8% so there is barely enough power to do anything. I'd like to do a factory reset but there isn't enough power. I paid $1700.00 for this laptop 2 years ago, so I'm beyond frustrated right now.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 565
Message 4 of 8

Hey there, bend_design! 

Another help here. Just to confirm, does the laptop still show any light indication while the charger is connected? If not, this could be a hardware concern with the laptop itself. How long have you tried charging the laptop recently?

In addition, if the laptop is already failing, the only way to get it fixed is by having the laptop service for repair. You can try bringing the laptop to any third party repair shop (Geek Squad) and inquire about the repair service quotation. 

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

bend_design
Blue Screen Again
Views: 564
Message 5 of 8

The laptop LED blinks when the charger is connected (currently blinking amber due to the very low battery power).
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 560
Message 6 of 8

Have you tried using a different charger? If yes and still does the same, then there could be an issue with the battery, motherboard or the AC port. We would suggest visiting the nearest Lenovo Service center here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht118678?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6 for repair options. Thank you. 

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

bend_design
Blue Screen Again
Views: 558
Message 7 of 8

I've tried both the OEM charger it came with as well as a new OEM charger I purchased. If this is a hardware issue, given the actual amount of time this laptop has been used - approximately 20 hours, then this is truly a garbage laptop.

bend_design
Blue Screen Again
Views: 528
Message 8 of 8

So, when the laptop is on and plugged in it seems to cycle between plugged in and battery power. I tried resetting the laptop to factory but the problem persists so it must be a hardware or battery issue. Would a bad battery cause this behavior? Or would it be the USB card? 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors