01-05-2017

United States of America

64 Signins

300 Page Views

• Views: 300
  • Message 291 of 483

Re: Yoga 910 crazy loud fan even when CPU at <35%

2017-01-24, 2:02 AM

Nothing in those screen shots indicates any reason the fan would need to be running. I have more going on that that and the fan is idle. If you have a fan running with that level of CPU use, something else is going on.

Options

53 Posts

12-13-2016

United States of America

120 Signins

824 Page Views

• Views: 824
  • Message 292 of 483

2017-01-24, 4:42 AM
Exactly my point. Can't figure this one out.
Options

1 Posts

01-24-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1 Signins

12 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 12
  • Message 293 of 483

2017-01-24, 21:17 PM

i am also having issues with this fan noise.

the fan noise is loud when i browse on microsoft edge

has any got any solution to this problem from lenovo

i have got 14 days to return

can you advise please

Options

3205 Posts

12-13-2016

United States of America

5320 Signins

58626 Page Views

• Views: 58626
  • Message 294 of 483

2017-01-24, 22:11 PM

muruganselvaraj..

Didja read through this thread and apply the fixes? 

What websites give you louder fan noises?  There are a lot of websites with video, animation, and just plain bad code that will cause any processor to work harder. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Using Browser Search To Find Answers in the Lenovo and Moto Communities
Check out our new Recent Service Tips Area ..your issue may already be solved!
Options

27 Posts

01-04-2017

United States of America

58 Signins

171 Page Views

• Views: 171
  • Message 295 of 483

2017-01-24, 22:40 PM

With the WLAN or while removing the WLAN, I still get a single daily slow/lag/freeze. the laptop kinda slows down and crawls, and then all goes away after restarting. is this connected to the DCOM issue we all experiencing, is there a driver that does NOT reinnstall the 'installer' file? I tried the one on Lenovo site and it immediately adds the installer back.

Options

3205 Posts

12-13-2016

United States of America

5320 Signins

58626 Page Views

• Message 296 of 483

2017-01-25, 2:58 AM

As posted upthread, let Windows find and install the driver. Go to Device Manager and do it old school. 

Options

1609 Posts

09-16-2014

United States of America

3048 Signins

61403 Page Views

• Views: 61403
  • Message 297 of 483

2017-01-25, 13:04 PM

Lenovo has released a BIOS update with a new feature called Quiet Mode to provide a quieter fan experience for customers with Yoga 910-13IKB and 13IKB Glass laptops. Please note that this is a two-step process. After updating to the BIOS v.35, it will be necessary to then go into the BIOS and enable Quiet Mode.

Quiet Mode achieves a lower overall fan volume by making minimal changes to CPU performance and system temperature.

Version 2JCN35WW

Modify thermal and DPTF setting, add Quiet Mode.

• Enter BIOS setup, which can be done by holding down “FN+F2” keys during system start up or pressing the Nova button when the device is shut down.
  • Go to page “Configuration” and change system performance mode to “Quiet Mode”.
  • Select “Exit saving changes” or in page “Exit” or F10. System will reboot.

BIOS v.35 can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS119202

----------------------

For customers experiencing a continuously running fan on Yoga 910-13IKB and 13IKB Glass systems, please upgrade to the latest WLAN driver, v. 12.0.0.278. It can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS119197. If this does not change the fan behavior, try uninstalling the Qualcomm Atheros WLAN Installer, then reinstalling the driver.

The Qualcomm Atheros WLAN Installer can be found in Settings -> Apps -> Qualcomm Atheros WLAN Installer. Select it and then right-click to open a menu. Select Remove It. Restart the system.

----------------------

For customers experiencing a fan whistling or whine noise, the investigation continues. I would like to hear from customers who have upgraded to BIOS v.35 but continue to hear this distinct fan sound.

I am marking this post as the solution to allow customers joining the discussion to easily find solutions for two of the three reported fan issues. I will post again when I receive an update on the fan whistling/whine investigation.

Thank you,

Options

2503 Posts

04-17-2014

United States of America

3441 Signins

42730 Page Views

• Views: 42730
  • Message 298 of 483

2017-01-25, 13:49 PM

Awesome, just tried it out, and it's working great. Thanks Amy! 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Please do not PM me for individual requests... please post to the forums instead :)

Lenovo Forums have transitioned to a new platform. The team is working hard to bring new features and make the forums better than it was before!

The 'Search' function is currently down. In the interim, please get help through browser searches.

Please ensure the option 'Subscribe me automatically to all discussions I have participated in' is enabled under your forum settings. That way, you'll be notified if anyone replies to your thread!

Communities:    Moto English     English     Deutsche     Español     Portugues     Русскоязычное     Česká     Slovenská     Українська   

Options

3205 Posts

12-13-2016

United States of America

5320 Signins

58626 Page Views

• Message 299 of 483

2017-01-25, 14:40 PM

Amy: The WLAN driver version you cite should end in .278 not .78. Not that most of us don't already know that, but... :)

Options

26 Posts

02-12-2014

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

69 Signins

640 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 640
  • Message 300 of 483

2017-01-25, 18:49 PM

Hi Amy,

I've had an opportuniy to run some tests with the new BIOS and quiet/balanced/performance modes and have some very intersting results but a question at the end.

For testing purposes I ran msconfig.exe and restarted by machine in diagnostic mode so all extraneous services had been stopped. I then ran a number of different tests using each of the modes selected in the BIOS. Here are the results:

1. Visual Studio Solution Build (each time I clean the build.) This is a real-world test of the sort of thing I do throughout the day and usually drives the fans mental (but not on my 3 year old Yoga 2 Pro which is as quiet as a mouse)

• Quiet Mode: Run 1 - 1m 25s, Run - 1m 06s, Run 3 - 1m 06s, Run 4 - 1m 06s
  • Balanced Mode: Run 1 - 1m 25s, Run 2 - 1m 05s, Run 3 - 1m 05s, Run 4 - 1m 06s
  • Conclusion - unfortunately I didn't run this in performance mode but the timings really were exactly the same but I did think the quiet mode was noticeably quieter throughout the tests.

2. Performance Test from which I only ran the CPU benchmark

• Quiet Mode: Run 1 : 5752, Run 2: 5787, Run 3: 5792
  • Balanced Mode: Run 1: 5758, Run 2: 5752, Run 3: 5856
  • Performance Mode: Run 1: 5768
  • Conclusion - again no noticeable difference.

3. Blender Raytrace using demo file Fishy Cat

• Quiet Mode: 1m 45s
  • Balanced 2m 14s
  • Performance: 2m 08s
  • Conclusion - now we're talking... but wait Quiet mode is not only quiet but much faster!! What's going on! This is when I started running HWMonitor to see what was going on in the CPU and discovered why Quiet is so much better and problem should be always on. Here's what I found:
  • Quiet Mode: Max 87C and clock speed flipping between 3029Mhz and 3192Mhz
  • Balanced Mode: Max 96C and clock speed shifting between 399Mhz and 3495Mhz
  • Performance Mode: much the same as balanced but seems to spend less time at 399Mhz.
  • Theory - I think Quiet focuses on keeping the temperature down by controlling the Mhz but that just happens to end up much faster - a bit like saying 'slow and steady wins the race'. Performance/Balanced however try for more raw power but spending longer throttling back to 399Mhz given the critical temperatures - a bit like sprinting and running out of puff and taking longer to recover.

So, great news, Quiet seems like a real win.

However, when I used msconfig.exe to get back to normal and have all my services running again I discovered a couple of weird things:

• CPU Benchmark now returned 5508 and 5350 in two separate runs
  • Blender now took 2mins 8secs to render
  • Theory - I might have thought that other processes were simply consuming processor time making these take longer (I did change the CPU benchmark to run in a higher priority to try and mitigate for this.) However, what I noticed when running blender was the temperature now hovered at 71C and the Mhz oscillated between 2583Mhz and 2896Mhz both a lot less than previously. I also tried changing the power plan from balanced to performance but that made no difference.

Question

So I'm left with a question. Is there a service that's limiting the performance of the CPU? And whilst I'm here - is this anything to do with the constant logging of the following in the event log:

The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.

which is being logged by Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power.

And finally

Amy, I hope my findings above are useful to you. My initial feelings are you've done some great work on getting this BIOS written and I'm very grateful. I still get the feeling the fans themselves are a little noisy (especially compared to the Yoga 2 Pro) but at least now they're not spinning up quite so fast now.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms