Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Message 281 of 426 (7,358 Views)

Re: Yoga 910 crazy loud fan even when CPU at <35%

Nothing in those screen shots indicates any reason the fan would need to be running. I have more going on that that and the fan is idle. If you have a fan running with that level of CPU use, something else is going on.

SCSI Port
Message 282 of 426 (7,329 Views)

Exactly my point. Can't figure this one out.
What's DOS?
Message 283 of 426 (7,208 Views)

i am also having issues with this fan noise.

the fan noise is loud when i browse on microsoft edge

has any got any solution to this problem from lenovo

i have got 14 days to return

can you advise please

HDMI
Message 284 of 426 (7,199 Views)

muruganselvaraj..

Didja read through this thread and apply the fixes? 

What websites give you louder fan noises?  There are a lot of websites with video, animation, and just plain bad code that will cause any processor to work harder. 

Fanfold Paper
Message 285 of 426 (7,188 Views)

With the WLAN or while removing the WLAN, I still get a single daily slow/lag/freeze. the laptop kinda slows down and crawls, and then all goes away after restarting. is this connected to the DCOM issue we all experiencing, is there a driver that does NOT reinnstall the 'installer' file? I tried the one on Lenovo site and it immediately adds the installer back.

HDMI
Message 286 of 426 (7,148 Views)

As posted upthread, let Windows find and install the driver. Go to Device Manager and do it old school. 

Lenovo Staff
Message 287 of 426 (7,128 Views)

[ Edited ]

Lenovo has released a BIOS update with a new feature called Quiet Mode to provide a quieter fan experience for customers with Yoga 910-13IKB and 13IKB Glass laptops. Please note that this is a two-step process. After updating to the BIOS v.35, it will be necessary to then go into the BIOS and enable Quiet Mode.

Quiet Mode achieves a lower overall fan volume by making minimal changes to CPU performance and system temperature.

Version 2JCN35WW

Modify thermal and DPTF setting, add Quiet Mode.

• Enter BIOS setup, which can be done by holding down “FN+F2” keys during system start up or pressing the Nova button when the device is shut down.
  • Go to page “Configuration” and change system performance mode to “Quiet Mode”.
  • Select “Exit saving changes” or in page “Exit” or F10. System will reboot.

BIOS v.35 can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS119202

pic1 resized.jpgpic2 resized.jpg

----------------------

For customers experiencing a continuously running fan on Yoga 910-13IKB and 13IKB Glass systems, please upgrade to the latest WLAN driver, v. 12.0.0.278. It can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS119197. If this does not change the fan behavior, try uninstalling the Qualcomm Atheros WLAN Installer, then reinstalling the driver.

The Qualcomm Atheros WLAN Installer can be found in Settings -> Apps -> Qualcomm Atheros WLAN Installer. Select it and then right-click to open a menu. Select Remove It. Restart the system.

----------------------

For customers experiencing a fan whistling or whine noise, the investigation continues. I would like to hear from customers who have upgraded to BIOS v.35 but continue to hear this distinct fan sound.

I am marking this post as the solution to allow customers joining the discussion to easily find solutions for two of the three reported fan issues. I will post again when I receive an update on the fan whistling/whine investigation.

Thank you,

Technical Resolution Lead, Pervasive Issues
Lenovo US
Topics: 23
Kudos: 220
Solutions: 146
Message 288 of 426 (7,055 Views)

Awesome, just tried it out, and it's working great. Thanks Amy! 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

HDMI
Message 289 of 426 (7,032 Views)

Amy: The WLAN driver version you cite should end in .278 not .78. Not that most of us don't already know that, but... Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Punch Card
Message 290 of 426 (6,966 Views)

Hi Amy,

I've had an opportuniy to run some tests with the new BIOS and quiet/balanced/performance modes and have some very intersting results but a question at the end.

For testing purposes I ran msconfig.exe and restarted by machine in diagnostic mode so all extraneous services had been stopped. I then ran a number of different tests using each of the modes selected in the BIOS. Here are the results:

1. Visual Studio Solution Build (each time I clean the build.) This is a real-world test of the sort of thing I do throughout the day and usually drives the fans mental (but not on my 3 year old Yoga 2 Pro which is as quiet as a mouse)

• Quiet Mode: Run 1 - 1m 25s, Run - 1m 06s, Run 3 - 1m 06s, Run 4 - 1m 06s
  • Balanced Mode: Run 1 - 1m 25s, Run 2 - 1m 05s, Run 3 - 1m 05s, Run 4 - 1m 06s
  • Conclusion - unfortunately I didn't run this in performance mode but the timings really were exactly the same but I did think the quiet mode was noticeably quieter throughout the tests.

2. Performance Test from which I only ran the CPU benchmark

• Quiet Mode: Run 1 : 5752, Run 2: 5787, Run 3: 5792
  • Balanced Mode: Run 1: 5758, Run 2: 5752, Run 3: 5856
  • Performance Mode: Run 1: 5768
  • Conclusion - again no noticeable difference.

3. Blender Raytrace using demo file Fishy Cat

• Quiet Mode: 1m 45s
  • Balanced 2m 14s
  • Performance: 2m 08s
  • Conclusion - now we're talking... but wait Quiet mode is not only quiet but much faster!! What's going on! This is when I started running HWMonitor to see what was going on in the CPU and discovered why Quiet is so much better and problem should be always on. Here's what I found:
  • Quiet Mode: Max 87C and clock speed flipping between 3029Mhz and 3192Mhz
  • Balanced Mode: Max 96C and clock speed shifting between 399Mhz and 3495Mhz
  • Performance Mode: much the same as balanced but seems to spend less time at 399Mhz.
  • Theory - I think Quiet focuses on keeping the temperature down by controlling the Mhz but that just happens to end up much faster - a bit like saying 'slow and steady wins the race'. Performance/Balanced however try for more raw power but spending longer throttling back to 399Mhz given the critical temperatures - a bit like sprinting and running out of puff and taking longer to recover.

So, great news, Quiet seems like a real win.

However, when I used msconfig.exe to get back to normal and have all my services running again I discovered a couple of weird things:

• CPU Benchmark now returned 5508 and 5350 in two separate runs
  • Blender now took 2mins 8secs to render
  • Theory - I might have thought that other processes were simply consuming processor time making these take longer (I did change the CPU benchmark to run in a higher priority to try and mitigate for this.) However, what I noticed when running blender was the temperature now hovered at 71C and the Mhz oscillated between 2583Mhz and 2896Mhz both a lot less than previously. I also tried changing the power plan from balanced to performance but that made no difference.

Question

So I'm left with a question. Is there a service that's limiting the performance of the CPU? And whilst I'm here - is this anything to do with the constant logging of the following in the event log:

The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.

which is being logged by Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power.

And finally

Amy, I hope my findings above are useful to you. My initial feelings are you've done some great work on getting this BIOS written and I'm very grateful. I still get the feeling the fans themselves are a little noisy (especially compared to the Yoga 2 Pro) but at least now they're not spinning up quite so fast now.

Top Kudoed Authors