Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gja
Punch Card
Views: 8,316
Message 21 of 461

Re: Yoga 910 crazy loud fan even when CPU at <35%

I can report the same issue on my end. It really doesn't take much to get the loud booming. I'm talking maybe an Edge brower open and Microsoft Word.

To add to the fan noise, I am also experiencling general slugginess and slow performance. Slow scrolling, lagginess when switching between apps.

$1500 plus priced laptop, and these sorts of issues..What a joke of a company.

Real shame too, I love everything else about it.

DreaMPoweR
Serial Port
Views: 8,196
Message 22 of 461

I really liked this ultrabook but the very first thing I realized was the fan noise. I did the recommended settings (lowering the CPU to 99%). It does help but still not a quiet computer.

I really do not want to return it but I do not think I do not have any other option. As Joshva80 said, what option do we have. All ultra books have some problems. I was going to go with apple macbook pro, but after seeing their joke priceses and not including touch-screen feature etc. I thought this would be a good option. 

fhabash
Paper Tape
Views: 8,186
Message 23 of 461

" .... but after seeing their joke priceses ..."

I hear you. I went into BB store planning to get the new Surface Book i7/512/16. It added up to near $2900. I tried all kinds of mental gymansitcs, I just could not justify it.

The 910 came to the rescue. Gorgous, sexy, & a piece of artistic engineering at half the price. I have been using it for 2 days and I can still hear the buzzing fan in my ears even after shutting it down. 

The unit I have had the left-side fan buzzing non-stop for the entire day. The right side was on & off and did not buzz. I do not know why the fans stay on all day even though CPU usage averaged < 5%. 

I have already returned the unit & BB offered me a repalacement which I declined. From what I have read, this seems to be a persistent issue.

I'll be wactching the forums and Lenovo support hoping to see a fix come out. I will be more than happy to re-purchase it if resovled.

Thanks all.

Joshva80
Punch Card
Views: 8,174
Message 24 of 461

Yeah agreed. I'm going to hold onto mine for a little longer to see if they fix the bios or HP releases a 4k version of theirs

The BestBuy sales person said they are getting alot of returns of the Lenovo. What an epic fail to install a super whiny loud fan. Lack of quality control

gja
Punch Card
Views: 8,145
Message 25 of 461

I hear you guys. I really want to like this thing. Truthfully speaking, there are no alternatives at this point in the PC roster. The MBP sound enticing, but not shelling out more Franklins for a gimmicky touchbar.

Sidenote: The speakers are ridiciously good. The best I've ever heard on a laptop. Bar none.

Like you all, I'm fingers crossed that there is a software-oriented solution for this issue.

dstutzman
Punch Card
Views: 8,078
Message 26 of 461

There likely will not be a software solution. This is due to the laptop's design and the CPU it uses. If the CPU is running at full speed, it will generate a lot of heat. When it gets to about ~65 Celcius, the fan will run at high speed in order to keep things cool. It's dangerous to let the CPU get much hotter than 80 Celcius (and it will shut off entirely at ~100 Celcius) since it has the potential to shorten the lifespan of the CPU. There are two basic options here: Throttle the CPU so that it doesn't become hot often, or let the fan do its thing to keep the CPU cool. At most, Lenovo could tweak the temperature at which the fan runs at its highest speed, but I think this is unlikely because keeping the CPU cool during operation is extremely important.

You could try the "99%" trick and that might work (though I have my doubts just tested this, it actually does seem to help a bit), but I would definitely NOT recommend opening the machine and unplugging the fan.

Joshva80
Punch Card
Views: 8,059
Message 27 of 461

I disagree with dstutzman:

1) My fans can come on full blast even when at 41 celsius temperature. I have HWInfo sensors permanently in my taskbar monitoring heat. In fact this exact case just happened then

2) From my research with 2 of these laptops, the issue is that when the CPU hits 100% usage, regadless of core temperature, the fans go full blast

3) Given the above, thats why the 99% fix works as well as it does.... and thats why a bios fix would help

4) The physical fans in this machine are just bad and high pitched. I had 2 slim machines before this with better quality fans that made noise running but it wasn't high pitched

fhabash
Paper Tape
Views: 8,009
Message 28 of 461

dstutzman is correct. After all, we all know computers have fans and that CPU's emit heat. We also, know that fans cool hot objects. The 910 is no expcetion. 

Furthermore, I use 4 different laptops at home & work (2 Surface Pro's, Del XPS, & Dell Inspiron) & none of them shows same 'fan' behavior the 910 does. I mean ...

1) The 910 fans, duing my use, are on 6 hours non-stop. Window's task manager shows CPU usage history not exceeding 10%. 

2) The buzzing & high pitch sound of the fan (mostly on left side) is distrubing. I'm unable to enjoy watching a movie or comfortably focus on a TedTalk. It is sad because the speakers on the 910 is the best out of all the laptops I have. 

I hope Lenovo support is monitoirng this forum to help facilitate in identifying the issue and fixing it. 

Joshva80
Punch Card
Views: 8,006
Message 29 of 461

What i'm saying is that mine is not getting hot enough to warrant fans being on at the speed that they are spinning. I tend to get bouts of the fan going at very low CPU temperatures.

It sounds like there are different fan related issues

I think we can all agree though that the fans placed in these machines are noticeably whinnier than those in the new Macbook Pro's for instance

dstutzman
Punch Card
Views: 7,987
Message 30 of 461

In terms of when the fan turns on, your mileage may vary of course, depending on many factors. In my testing, the fan revved up at temps over ~43 Celcius, and went full speed above 60 or so. 

After some benchmark testing, I can't really say I recommend the 99% CPU "fix".

Geekbench 4 scores, High Performance mode, on battery, 100% max CPU:

4217 Single-core

8010 Multi-core

99% max CPU:

3527 Single-core

6623 Multi-core

This is a pretty big hit to performance. This will be fine for most use cases, but if you need the extra power, you're going to have to deal with the fan noise. Lenovo may be able to tweak the fan curve a bit with a BIOS update but potentially at the cost of shortening the life of the CPU.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors