Wow!

I just did the same.

Best score with 99%

Single: 3622
Multi: 6817

Best score with 100%

Single: 4321
Multi: 8212

That is a whopping 19% hit on performance!
Lenovo Employee melon
Lenovo Employee
Views: 5,947
Message 32 of 461

Re: Yoga 910 crazy loud fan even when CPU at <35%

Hi, thank you for so much informantion on this problem. 

We are woking to have a bios update for the fan noise.

It's weird for us if the fan noise is noticable when the CPU temperature is under 50 Celsius

I'd like to talk with you to get more information, am I welcome for that?

how can I get to you? via some IM app?

Lenovo Employee melon
Lenovo Employee
Views: 5,941
Message 33 of 461

Yes, 99% not only disable the CPU turbo but also limit the CPU TDP

Lenovo Employee melon
Lenovo Employee
Views: 5,895
Message 34 of 461

Sincerely, I really want to get your device for analysis. 6 hours non-stop with 10% cpu usage is abnormal. Is there a windows update installer at the background?
tinza123
Core Memory
Views: 5,889
Message 35 of 461

Hi, thanks for paying attention to this problem. 

When I set the max CPU to 100%, it is very easy to kick off the fan to full speed, which is super loud and kind of embarassing in an quiet office or conference room. It seems that the fan speed is set to be reactive to CPU load instead of the actual temparature, because I believe it is more rear full-speed fan is absolutely necessary (for example, when setting to 99% the fan never hits full speed but the laptop is still cool.)

The other issue I am experiencing everyday is the fan would randomly kicks in super hard for several second and then stops, when I am not doing any remotely heavy work. It is fine but just wierd. 

You can contact me via messages on the forum and I'll send you my personal contact. Thanks again, this is a lovely laptop if not for this particular issue.

Former Employee
Views: 5,826
Message 36 of 461

Due to customer reports of fans running with a noise volume that is louder than expected on Yoga 910-13IKB systems, Lenovo has launched an investigation.

It would help to know the following information from a minimum of three customers:

• Is this occurring on a Yoga 910 with a FHD IPS display or UHD IPS (4K) display?
  • In the Event Log -> Windows Logs -> System are there any events being reported?
  • Does changing Power Settings -> Power & Sleep -> Advanced Power Settings -> from Balanced to High Performance resolve the issue? Does changing the settings one more time to Balanced resolve the fan issue for the rest of session? After resuming from sleep? After a reboot?

One housekeeping note: the Forums team is in the process of verifying Melon as a Lenovo employee/vendor.

Thank you,

dstutzman
Punch Card
Views: 5,822
Message 37 of 461

Is this occurring on a Yoga 910 with a FHD IPS display or UHD IPS (4K) display?

Both. I purchased both to compare. (Btw, the 4K display on a 14 inch laptop serves little purpose other than to drain battery -- there's virtually no perceptible difference when your eyes are more than a foot away from the display, at least to my eyes... However, the 1080p panel is significantly worse with colors, brightness, and contrast, so the 4K version is still the one to get)

In the Event Log -> Windows Logs -> System are there any events being reported?

Strangely, yes. There are thousands of them, anywhere from half a dozen to 50+ occuring each second.

The source is "WHEA-Logger", level "Warning", event ID 17.

"A corrected hardware error has occured.

Component: PCI Express Root Port

Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Bus: Device:Function: 0x0:0x1C:0x0

Vendor ID: Device ID: 0x8086:0x9D14

Class Code: 0x30400"

Does changing Power Settings -> Power & Sleep -> Advanced Power Settings -> from Balanced to High Performance resolve the issue? Does changing the settings one more time to Balanced resolve the fan issue for the rest of session? After resuming from sleep? After a reboot?

Not really, no. As far as I can tell, everything is working exactly as intended. This is a high-end mobile processor and it needs to be kept cool, and the only way to do this is with proper cooling design (i.e., a heatsink, a fan, and so on). Customers can't reasonably expect the fan to never come on when the processor is being utilized, and though browsing the web may seem like a low-power activity, the system will use the resources it has in order to keep things running quickly and smoothly. The fan itself is the problem, in my opinion, not the system or CPU or even the cooling design. The fan is just tiny and noisy and there isn't much that can be done about this.

The Forums team is in the process of verifying Melon as a Lenovo employee/vendor.

Thank you, I was curious about this.

tinza123
Core Memory
Views: 5,801
Message 38 of 461

UHD for me.

I do see a lot of the same log:

"A corrected hardware error has occurred.

BusSmiley Very Happyevice: Function: 0x0:0x1C:0x0
Vendor ID: Device ID: 0x8086:0x9D14
Class Code: 0x30400

The details view of this entry contains further information."

Does changing Power Settings -> Power & Sleep -> Advanced Power Settings -> from Balanced to High Performance resolve the issue? Does changing the settings one more time to Balanced resolve the fan issue for the rest of session? After resuming from sleep? After a reboot?

No it does not change anything. Tried all these before.

Carbonite
What's DOS?
Views: 5,784
Message 39 of 461

Yoga 910 with the UHD 4K Display

Power settings dont change anything

Event log as follows, alot of these:

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

BusSmiley Very Happyevice:Function: 0x0:0x1C:0x0
Vendor IDSmiley Very Happyevice ID: 0x8086:0x9D14
Class Code: 0x30400

Just purchased from Best Buy, everything is great except the vacuum cleaner fans. Ramps up when I am doing nothing or just browsing websites.  I can understand if I was doing heavy computing.

DreaMPoweR
Serial Port
Views: 5,736
Message 40 of 461

4K display.

3197 total in 11 days.

No, I tried everything but the fan still does the noise.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors