Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joshva80
Punch Card
Views: 9,831
Message 51 of 461

Re: Yoga 910 crazy loud fan even when CPU at <35%

And just like that it sees my battery again and is charging. Serioulsy **bleep**, this laptop is held together by sticky tape and glue. Easily the lowest quality laptop i've owned

dstutzman
Punch Card
Views: 9,828
Message 52 of 461

I was actually a little surprised that this laptop didn't have any air vents, so it would be nice to see the next iteration have one, which should hopeful improve cooling overall. Side would be best, if you can make room for it!

@Josh It sounds like there may be a loose cable somewhere, have you tried opening it up again and checking to see that the battery is securely connected?

delurker
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,697
Message 53 of 461

I have the i5 FHD model and have the same problem, loud sustained high pitched fans while writing an email in chrome.

Even with Max processor state on 75% the fans are coming on with the processor at 30 degrees, then they stop might stop on 35 degrees.

Restricting the cpu and my software usage are not acceptable long term solutions.

Yesterday, when I recieved the laptop, I only noticed the fans occasionally, and this was during the win 10 Anniversary update, setup and installing software.  It was loud whilst playing a game, but this is to be expected.

There definately seems to be room for improvement and/or a bug.

Lenovo, let me know if there is anything I can do to help.  If this is not resolved I will need to return it.

pradunmt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,519
Message 54 of 461

I got Lenovo Yoga 910-131KB and having same issue with Fans making loud noise. Is there any fix for this or should I just return the laptop?

Joshva80
Punch Card
Views: 9,477
Message 55 of 461

If you are looking for a laptop that runs quiet for business meeting rooms and the like then this model is not for you.

You can make it quieter with the 99% max processor speed setting but that substantially slows the laptop as it delays turbo boost.

As mentioned, if you need a quiet running laptop you need to return this one.

Moderator note: post edited to conform with Community Guidelines

Former Employee
Views: 9,392
Message 56 of 461

I sent private messages to multiple customers reporting this issue to request their assistance.

Thank you,

delurker
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,330
Message 57 of 461

My experience is much improved since my first repy so I should provide an update.

My max cpu is back on 100%, fan noise down to occasional, tolerable levels.

1. Chrome was using a constant ~50% of cpu.  I'm pretty sure this was due to a weather extension I had installed that was not working properly.  After removing the addon, my laptop is now usually silent.

This seems to be a common problem with Chrome, check how much cpu it is using and solve that problem.

Check cpu usage in task manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc). The other culprit was a microsoft update process, that is now much less busy.

2. I was using speedfan to monitor my temperatures but it seems to be underreporting the temperatures significantly, particularly given I could feel the laptop getting hot.

Using Hwinfo to monitor temps, I find the laptop is silent at 40 degrees, low but generally tolerable at 60, then noisy at 70 and above with max temp at 80.  These numbers are pretty good.

The situation may also improve as the thermal paste cures, but some fan noise is a fact of life for thin PCs under load.  I will be keeping mine but may look at replacing the thermal paste and fans down the line if I can.  Are the fans a standard size?

estverang
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,289
Message 58 of 461

When will the bios update for the fan issue on the yoga 910 be released? 

Moderator note: post moved to existing thread.  Subject added to match.  Was: Bios update Yoga 910

Former Employee
Views: 9,091
Message 59 of 461

Question: what software are you using to gauge CPU % and system temperatures?

Thank you,

dstutzman
Punch Card
Views: 9,087
Message 60 of 461

I use the Windows Task Manager to see CPU usage.

Originally, I was using SpeedFan for temps, but I ended up installing two other programs, RealTemp and Open Hardware Monitor, which both report significantly higher temperatures than SpeedFan (e.g., 40C instead of 24C). I suspect that the temperature accuracy on SpeedFan is not very good.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors