Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
loxcel
Paper Tape
Views: 4,919
Message 81 of 461

Re: Yoga 910 crazy loud fan even when CPU at <35%

Lenovo can resolve many issues by adding this to the BIOS:

1. allow you to remap CursorRight & RightShift buttons (asking us to download a 3rd party app is unacceptable).

2. offer three fan profiles: quiet, normal, performance.

cdejesus1119
What's DOS?
Views: 5,268
Message 82 of 461

Hello everyone first time post. Just wanted to report that I just purchased mines from Best buys new limited line yoga 910's with glass lid and there has been no eratic fan noise. Perhaps a bad initial batch..

Joshva80
Punch Card
Views: 5,223
Message 83 of 461

You got the glass lid one. Interesting. I wonder if it is fixed on the newer models
Joshva80
Punch Card
Views: 5,222
Message 84 of 461

Actually someone else with the glass model also complained about the fan. So perhaps same issue after all
gpm67
Paper Tape
Views: 5,217
Message 85 of 461

I have the model with the glass top.

Under advanced Power Settings, I set...

Maximum Processor Rate to 99% as someone else on this post suggested.

I also set SYSTEM COOLING POLICY to "Passive"

Fan is hardly noticable now. Saved me from returning an otherwise excellent laptop.

m6517
Paper Tape
Views: 5,183
Message 86 of 461

Hi all, so went ahead and exchanged my lenovo 910 special edition for another one instead of buying a different machine like i planned. the rep convinced me to give it another shot and boy am i happy i did. Same specs and features except I have yet to hear the fan!!! at all!!! I extremely skeptical and was really close to walking out with a macbook pro but am very happy I tried again. I have been overloading it with tasks and it is performing like a $1600 lap top should. I dont know if this helps anyone but i think it is very possible that there is a bad batch (very large) of fans out there. for the record both of my machines were i7, 512ssd, 16gb ram, and were the special edition glass tops. first one was absolutely abysmal, the second one is operating perfectly.

fhabash
Paper Tape
Views: 5,090
Message 87 of 461

I ended up returning the 910 & getting the surface book performance base. I've used the SB for more than a week now for an average of 9 hours a day and I remember once or twice when the fan turned on & when it did, it was pleasant to hear (quiet & subtle). In multiple tests, the CPU remained 50% used for over 20 minutes without The fan turning on. 

I have few days left in the return period & I hope Lenovo would release a BIOS update before then. The SB is way too expensive & I like the look of the 910 more. 

Joshva80
Punch Card
Views: 5,003
Message 88 of 461

I am officially done. I have my 3rd Yoga 910. The 2nd one wouldn't charge.

This one is the loudest of the 3 with the fan noise. It is absolutely unbearable. So high pitched. I just can't handle it a moment longer. I am almost in tears with this. The amount of hours I have spent on this. I feel so bad for Best Buy.
m6517
Paper Tape
Views: 4,971
Message 89 of 461

This is the toughest relationship Ive ever had with a product. On my second SE 910, everything was going great until I installed Kaspersky. My CPU usage is consistently around 40-60% and the fan is working non-stop. Going to try webroot as I hear it is a lighter load on the PC, or I may eat the bullet and get a XPS with half the specs Smiley Frustrated

ASaad117
What's DOS?
Views: 4,967
Message 90 of 461

Hey everybody, I just wanted to let you all know that I purchased the special edition glass lid Yoga 910 from best buy yesterday (4k screen, i7, 16gb ram, 512 ssd). I have not tested it heavily yet, but so far the fan has been barely noticeable. My most intensive test yet was playing 3 different youtube videos in 3 different browsers, plus having netflix playing in the background. It honestly didn't get as loud as I was expecting, and i haven't heard the fan make the high pitched whizzing sound everyone has been mentioning. 

So far so good, but i'll definitely keep you updated.

Oh ya, and if anything is gonna be drive me into returning this laptop, it's the ridiculousp lacement of that right shift key.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors