Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LittleRob
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,351
Message 1 of 17

Yoga 910 fan & right shift key solutions

Hopefully this post helps those looking for fixes for the right shift key and fan noise problems that keep the Yoga 910 from becoming a great laptop. And this post should help by not having to read through pages of posts.

I am not taking any credit for these solutions, but instead listing the ones that worked for me. And will give credit were credit is due.

And a BIG THANK YOU to Lenovo for these correctable design flaws, you helped me get my Yoga 910 for $1000 which is $600 off list price. Bestbuy had three open boxes, guy behind me bought the other two.

My Yoga is now running very quiet with the fan seldom running in medium or high mode.

My laptop:

Yoga 910-13IKB Laptop
RAM 16 GB

HD 512 GB

Display 4K

BIOS Version 2JCN34WW

Windows 10 Home 64 bit fully updated 19 JAN 2017

Lenovo drivers fully updated 19 JAN 2017

Identify your Lenovo

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/home  click on Detect my product

I. Fan Noise - Several solutions here, I used all of these

a. Update to latest BIOS. Mine already was latest.

Check your BIOS version

Run CMD, type wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion

b. Check what is using CPU cycles, Hit Crtl+Alt+Delete keys, click on Task Manager

Remove any unnessecary programs loading at start up, i.e., iTunes, anything related to a printer.

Dropbox for me was using about 30%, going to have to find another clould file sync service that isn't a resource hog. Short-term fix was to remove Dropbox from Startup Programs and turn on when working on specific docs.

c. Update WLAN driver - big thanks to forum member Doctordon, from Don: 

Doctordon wrote:
I had the same problem and found the solution in another thread on this page. Go ahead and leave the latest WLAN driver in place. Go to Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features\Uninstall a Program and look for a Qualcomm WLAN installer. Uninstall it. It's stuck, which is where the "TODO" entry comes from and the reason the processor and fan are running.  Once you uninstall it and reboot, all is well. You won't lose connectivity as the driver remains in place. 

Launch Device Manager from the Control Panel, expand the "network adapters" entry and right-click "Properties." Select the "Driver" tab. Next to "driver version," it should say 12.0.0.278.  If not, you can click "Update driver" and "Let Windows search.." It'll find the correct driver without launching any Qualcomm installers. 

d. Set CPU Power Usage

Power Options in Control Panel > Change plan settings > Change advance power settings > expand Processor Power Management > expand Maximum processor state

On battery - set to 99%

Plugged in - set to 99% (I have since reset this to 100% with no excessive fan use / noise)

II. Right Shift Key - an incredible poor design by Lenovo. Hopefully the engineers are reading the forums.

I tried to retrain myself to use this poor keys placement design, but jumping back & forth between my work station and Yoga, it was impossible. My already slow typing slowed to crawl. I was ready to throw the Yoga in the trash. But a big thanks to forumn members PaulProe and 90c4 who saved my Yoga's life.

I remapped:

Right shift to Page Up

Page Up to Right Shift

Page Down to Right Direction

Right Direction to Page Down

Download and run http://sharpkeys.codeplex.com/

I carefully removed and placed keys to match remapping. Carefully lift key from the top until it pops off top, then slide towards the bottom where key will be released. Reverse process to attach, hold key at 45 degree angle with bottom of key towards bottom of metal housing then slide slightly up and then press key down until snaps in place.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 9,257
Message 2 of 17

Re: Yoga 910 fan & right shift key solutions

Thanks for the mention. The only thing I haven't done is remap the keys. I only right-shift if a sentence begins with Q,W,A,S,Z or X. Oddly, I left shift mostly for left-hand capitals the rest of the time. I know.. weird. But that's the way I type. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
90c4
Punch Card
Views: 9,263
Message 3 of 17

I'll add that it's trivial to pop off the keys and swap them once you remap them with Sharpkeys. Just stick a thin knife or something on one side and pry up, then do the same on the other side. Then just snap them back down where you want them.20170119_224733-1.jpg

LittleRob
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,228
Message 4 of 17

THANK YOU! Swapping right now.

toma_zu
Punch Card
Views: 8,963
Message 5 of 17

Thank you for the right shift key solution.

My only problem with that is that the old up arrow location was "continual",

i mean you could push it and it will still keep going.

The new location, as oppose to the all other arrow keys, is not like that.

I hope I'm clear here.

Any idea what can be done?

Thanks!!!!

thewmo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,521
Message 6 of 17

Fantastic! I had thought to remap the keys in software, but hadn't thought to attempt physically swapping them. Thanks!

thomasjrose
What's DOS?
Views: 8,151
Message 7 of 17

That post for a key swap just saved me a trip to best buy to return the computer....Tried it for a month and wasted hours trying to use it and messed up several reports with the arrow up ....For curiousity ...Whatever possessed Lenovo to make this change???  More to the point, will the provide a fix are must we rely on the third party remap.

duxlubber
Punch Card
Views: 7,906
Message 8 of 17

Can't get fn-PgUp to re-map. After the SharpKeys remap of the arrow keys per the above picture, the up-arrow/pgup functions as up arrow only (ie, whether fn held down or not. Went back to old mapping and I don't think fn-pgup ever worked properly on my 910. It always functions as simply an up arrow. Is anyone aware of a previous post dealing with this or is it possibly just a defective unit?

90c4
Punch Card
Views: 7,846
Message 9 of 17

dxlubber, I think yours is the same as everyone else's. My remapped pg up is also now just an up arrow that doesn't repeat when held down
toojohnson
What's DOS?
Views: 7,563
Message 10 of 17

Thank you very much for this info. I just purchased the Yoga 910 and am very happy with it except for the fan noise. I followed your tips and I no longer hear the fan noise. Yes this saved me from having to hear the fan noise, because I was not returning this awesome laptop for that reason. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors