Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matteo68
Not applicable
Views: 998
Message 61 of 83

Re: Yoga 910 frequent stutter/hang, especially with Chrome browsing

Hi, I am suffering the same issue with my Lenovo Yoga 910 (purchased on May 2017), the manufacturer also replaced my motherboard, but issue still there, and all these (useful) suggestions on this thread didn't help. I have purchased the highest level of support with Lenovo, and nobody seems capable to address this. So, before giving up and buying a new laptop, I am asking: can anybody help?

DagoBorda
Not applicable
Views: 980
Message 62 of 83

How often are you having the issue? Mine is maybe once in a day, so I can live with it. What of the solutions posted did you try? Did you try the one about the graphics driver?

I know it is not what you expect. Having paid Lenovo support and a high-end machine like this. However, as I'm having the same issue, maybe I can help.

Highlighted
SomeoneHere
Not applicable
Views: 916
Message 63 of 83

Has anyone managed to fully solve this issue?

I tried to contact Lenovo support but they were really awful and unhelpful.

Regardless, I checked the Intel drivers page, which are way more updated than the custom version made by Lenovo. Thus, I contacted Intel but they told me that, because of these custom drivers, the Yoga 910 will only accept the custom driver and not the official one.

Is Lenovo ever updating their poorly made video driver or am I stuck with a very expensive piece of metal that can't hold a Youtube video and two tabs with some reddit pages? And don't tell me "turn off the hardware acceleration" because this is not a 10 years old computer.

Some notes from me, some have been already discussed before:

• Once this happens once (with Chrome or Firefox), it happens continuosly, like falling into a loop. Restart is the best option.
  • When the computer becomes completely unresponsive, the good old alt+ctrl+del makes it return a bit quicker. But careful with this if you're using Google Docs or any online suite.. the data input can disappear!
  • If not even the above makes it return, I've noticed that clicking the on/off button repeately send the computer to sleep, making the messy situation stop.

This issue will be solved when Lenovo moves their chair-sitting body part and release a proper update for the custom graphic chip. For now, and while this continues, I'm campaigning against the company.

Clearly they don't care about their customers and their "premium computers".

slow-yoga-pro3
Not applicable
Views: 913
Message 64 of 83

lenovo are horrrible to deal with......... arrogant and horrible!   I'm with dell now,  my 910 sold,  my yoga book sold!   Dell xps i love it!  

slow-yoga-pro3
Not applicable
Views: 910
Message 65 of 83

thats for win 8.1  not win 10 ?   yoga 910 is win 10

DagoBorda
Not applicable
Views: 902
Message 66 of 83

@SomeoneHere

your description is pretty accurate. The 3 things you said are exactly how the problem works for me. Two questions: do you have the 4k screen? how often does this happens in a common workday?

In my case I have th 4k screen and it happens once or twice a day.

Some of the options I have changed:

- I stoped the automatic changing wallpapers (this sounds stupid, but I have tried everything). I had high resolution pictures rotating and I didn't know if that contributed to the problem, maybe filling the buffer or whatever that is reaching a limite, because as you said, once it happens once, it keeps happening unless you restart.

- In the performance/appearance option from windows (in start, search "adjust the appearance and performance of windows") I deactivated almost all options (look at the attachement). Again, I am twiking something related with video just to see.

- I read someone who used the intel updated driver and it worked. However, as it is not the official lenovo driver I have not installed it, anticipating any other "undesired effect". 

So I have not fully solved the problem, but now I can work 95% of my time without problem.

Matteo68
Not applicable
Views: 881
Message 67 of 83

Just to help the audience: in my case the problem was resolved by disabling the hw acceleration in google chrome browser. I found this by myself, on this chat. Help from Lenovo was: NONE.

So, I want to express some concern about the Lenovo Support quality. I paid a lot of money, I paid for the HIGHEST support level. Yet I was totally left alone with this. Now, I have to absorb the investment, and I will use this laptop until it gets obsolete; but after then, sure thing, I'll never buy a Lenovo again. I am sick and tired of these companies that advertise science-fiction support levels, asking for a lot of money, and then leave you alone with the problem.

SomeoneHere
Not applicable
Views: 865
Message 68 of 83

@DagoBorda

Yes, my model is the 13.9" 4k display with all the extra things (16GB ram, SSD, etc.). Back in September it cost me exactly £1,399.99 (today exchange, that's 1900 USD!).

Leaving aside the fact that reducing the options given by the system makes no sense in such an expensive "premium" laptop, I did my tests too. But this issue is related to the primary use of the graphic part of the chipset. Yes, while they sell this as "Graphics Intel® HD Graphics 620", in reality this is an embedded section within the processor, in my case "Processor 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7500U Processor (2.70GHz 4MB)".

@Matteo68

Once you have disabled hardware acceleration you'll lose a part of the options some websites give you. During my tests I notice these:

- WhasappWeb (amongst many other sites) will show visual glitches.

- Banking online is noticibly slower.

- AmazonVideo/Netflix/Youtube tend to misbehave when playing videos at high resolution

- Google Maps will only show static satelitte images instead of fully 3D areas.

Please note that the issue is not solved when hardware acceleration is disable. That only cuts the browser arms so it cannot raise them when it requires some of the laptop juice. This issue also happens when running games. I know, it isn't a gaming machine, but the issue is also easy to replicate there.

The issue replicates anytime the graphics are involved in some task. Internet browsers, video  games, office tools such as Word and Excel or Photoshop.

On gaming actually, it's quite ludicrous to see how bad the Lenovo version of the driver is. While a normal CPU seems to run high end games (at min settings 720p) in stable 60-50 fps, on this machine I'm not able to run simpler games (again, min settings 720p) at more than 5fps. Five! Although maybe the funniest test I had it with FFXIV (totally recommended by the way, just not on this laptop), check out the attached image.

Our only option here is to Lenovo to release an updated version of the Intel driver.

oskar1
Not applicable
Views: 853
Message 69 of 83

I also forced updating the video driver a few days ago. I have not experienced the freeze problem since Smiley Happy

I downloaded the zip-version and, if I remember correct, pointet to the "Graphics" sub folder to locate the driver.

When I first stated my new laptop it downloaded 4 GB of updates, then attempted to restart but got a blue screen. Fortunately, a second restart worked. Then I emidiately noticed the fan issue! After some research I found the solution here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-910-crazy-loud-fan-even-when-CPU-at-l... and had to update the BIOS. Next issue was the freeze thing. I wonder what will be next... 

Thanks to all users investigating these issues and share their findings to the community! I totally agree with everyone else that Lenovo should have provided the support needed. That is the least one can expect when buying a premium laptop like this. No monitoring of the forums or official answers gives a lot of bad-will, leaving the users spending a lot of time troubleshooting.

My laptop:

Lenovo Yoga 910-13IKB model 80VF with BIOS 2JCN39WW

Core i7, 16GB, 1TB SSD, 4K display (I don't really see the benefit of this, HD would be enough and save battery?)

1 USB-C + 1 for power (why separate functions?) + 1 standard USB (should be at least 1 more standard USB...)

ELabOr8
Not applicable
Views: 747
Message 70 of 83

I've seen a number of offered solutions on this thread, but none worked for me. I reached out to Lenovo Support on Twitter, and they essentially told me to use a different browser... So I started doing my own tests, and I believe I've found a possible solution - or at least it seems to have resolved my issue with freezing/hanging/stuttering, particularly in Chrome, so I wanted to share in case it helps others. I changed the advanced power settings. I changed Processor power management->Minimum processor state to 10% for battery. I still occasionally will see a little slow responsiveness, but not a near lockdown like before. Of course, this will likely impact battery life, but so far it seems quite insignificant. My theory is that the system wouldn't pull out of the 5% default minimum processor state in some scenarios and that would cause slow responses/hanging because the processor couldn't handle the requests at such a low level - but that's just a guess. I've had this set for about a week, and haven't had a slowness/hang/freeze since. Anyways, thought I'd share in case it's helpful for others.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors