Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DirtBagClimber
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,432
Message 31 of 83

Re: Yoga 910 frequent stutter/hang, especially with Chrome browsing

Another update. Computer started crashing again while using chrome and after I downgraded to BIOS 34. I guess I will try BIOS 28...

lucky93
Punch Card
Views: 1,429
Message 32 of 83

On bios 34 it would crach occasionally but not as much as 35. But on 28ww bios it does not crash at all and it is the best bios version released as theres zero fan issues, lagging issues and no crashes.

DirtBagClimber
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,426
Message 33 of 83

Oh boy.... So I downgraded to BIOs 28. My battery was running low but I had it plugged in so I was not too worried about it. I went back into BIOS settings to update it to run the intel virtual machine, hit "save and exit" and then it proceeded to update itself back to BIOS 34. Thats weird. So I go back through the motions and reinstall 28 but as soon as I restart the computer it starts to self update back to 34.

Then my computer dies mid update.

As it turns out my power source was plugged into my computer but not to the wall. Now it's stuck in a weird boot loop. I tried holding the power button but that just turns it off. I tried the BIOS button on the side but that just brings it to the boot loop.

Does anyone know how to reinstall the bios?

thewmo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,416
Message 34 of 83

If you lost power mid-BIOS-write, and can't even boot to BIOS, I think you more than likely corrupted the BIOS itself. Call Lenovo, but my guess is you'll have to ship it out for service. :-(

DirtBagClimber
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,410
Message 35 of 83

Yeah that's what support told me. I will be dropping off at Best Buy tomorrow. Apparently they service Lenovo products still under warranty.
ShawnS3
What's DOS?
Views: 1,337
Message 36 of 83

I tried 28, 34, and 35 and nothing helps.  Can anyone help on this?  Is there a central ticket opened with Lenovo to address this issue?

28 worked OK for a few days, but it's back to the same issues.  34 and 35 are more pronounced, for sure, but 28 is no fix for me.  I have the 16GB/512GB 4K version of the 910.

This is disappointing and I'm wondering what the root cause is as, surely, not everyone is  experiencing this but just living with it?!?  This is also the source of many not great reviews of this product, specifically due to this issue, so it's important to fix for a variety of reasons.

byoram
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,334
Message 37 of 83

My answer is two fold:

1. Problem completely went away when I switched to Firefox while staying on BIOS35. I did not test MS Edge
  2. I then read there was an update for the video driver so in Device Manager, I went right click on Intel HD Graphics 620 and updated the driver, note the new driver is not showing on Lenovo site. today is my first day of testing this new driver

The issue for me was that once a day the laptop would slow down and then completely freeze, as i learned, due to possible incompatibility between Chrome and the video driver.

Hope this helps.

thewmo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,313
Message 38 of 83

Interesting. I do believe that what's going on is related to the video driver somehow, based on the kernel routine that process explorer shows spiking when the problem happens (VidMMInterface). I don't, however, believe that it is specifically an incompatibility with Chrome, for a few reasons - for one, I was able to repro with Firefox and Edge as well. Only going back to BIOS 28 has helped for me (haven't seen the problem since, actually). Please report back if the new graphics driver helps, it seems plausible it will.

My guess is some sort of three-way interaction between the graphics driver, low-level CPU power management rules (in BIOS), and video-memory-intensive operations (really, system memory as the Intel 620 graphics don't have dedicated video mem).

Completely agree with the previous poster, Lenovo really should be working on this. Irritating glitches like this are why people buy macs. **bleep** the cost, at least Apple works the bugs out.

toddaven
Paper Tape
Views: 1,266
Message 39 of 83

I upgraded the video driver as mentioned by byoram and it completely eliminated the freeze/stutter issues.

thewmo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,251
Message 40 of 83

From where are you guys downloading an updated video driver? No luck through Lenovo or Intel's sites. What is the version number of the new driver? Thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors