Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Tuffin
What's DOS?
Views: 27,188
Message 1 of 21

Yoga 910 function key switch

I bought the Yoga Yoga 910-13IKB on the 12th and the demo in the store had the option to enable function keys in the bios instead of the hot keys. However the one I have does not have this option.

I also can not find the BIOS which is installed on Lenvo's website. So I am hesitant to try to roll back a version. Currenly it is running 2JCN32WW and website only has 2JCN28WW.

Is this option going to return or has it moved outside the bios config?

Update: Upgraded to 2JCN34WW released on 12/14/2016 and still have no option to switch FN key default.

Yuanabc
What's DOS?
Views: 27,019
Message 2 of 21

Re: Yoga 910 function key switch

I met this issue as well. This drives me crazy and I haven't found a way out yet.
Tuffin
What's DOS?
Views: 26,991
Message 3 of 21

It looks like with the new bios (2JCN34WW ) they restored the fn key lock setting under "Lenovo Settings" app -> Input -> Function Keys

smamm
What's DOS?
Views: 26,952
Message 4 of 21

I have this problem as well. I updated the BIOS and there wasn't a setting in the BIOS and when I went to the Lenovo Settings app as mentioned and clicked on inputs, it directed me to the windows 10 device settings, but the keyboard did not have any different options to switch to the function keys.

Tuffin
What's DOS?
Views: 26,935
Message 5 of 21

I had Lenvo Settings 3.133.0.0 installed and had been booted for a while I had thought to check for the setting agian.

2016-12-20.pngSettings screen for FLock

DrFlowerStone
Blue Screen Again
Views: 26,904
Message 6 of 21

Using a Yoga 910 I get an indication that I have the same version of Lenovo Settings (3.133.0.0) as Tuffin but I am not able to see the screen shown in the message I am responding to. When I try to bring up this screen or more to the point use search to attempt to find items in Settings related to function keys I essentially get a return message that says in effect "get lost".

DrFlowerStone
Blue Screen Again
Views: 26,860
Message 7 of 21

UPDATE! I finally did get the Lenovo Settings program to give me the option to set the default behavior for the top row of keys. I am unsure I know how I did it other than I started with a search for "function keys". I am a happy old dude now. So far I really like my Yoga 910.

DrFlowerStone
Blue Screen Again
Views: 26,825
Message 8 of 21

More Update: I think I figured out how I got to success (see previous posts). When I first tried to reset the default it would not work either through the NOVO micro button BIOS update (not offered) or the Lenovo Settings program (as previously described). In thrashing around I was told by Tech Support that my system would need to be replaced with one that had a mother board that allowed for this capability (unacceptable since I had spent hours installing software and the thought of having to do that again was horrifying). In the meanwhile, I had updated my BIOS using the Lenovo update procedures to BIOS 2JCN34WW (release date 12/14/2016). But when I tried the BIOS update using the NOVO button it again did not work (option not offered). Subsequent to that and now desparate I gave the Lenovo Settings program another try (same version as previously identified) and there was success! I am still unsure whether Lenovo Settingshas this option fully integrated because I got to it by searching for "function key" as I had done previously with no success, but this time (I am assuming consequential to the BIOS update) the menu previously shown in the thread did activate.

So, it appears the bottom line is to update the BIOS and use Lenovo Settings and then you will be able to set the default behavior of the top row of keys. Lenovo: Are you listening? Time to re-educate tech support. I became very hostile when it was suggested by tech support that my system unit needed to be replaced. My hostility is now slowly being replaced by joy and admiiration of the Lenovo 910.

MartinAkerlund
Paper Tape
Views: 26,582
Message 9 of 21

I had to  switch input language (from "swedish" to "english")  to  see the function key settings in "Lenovo settings"

mideal2
Punch Card
Views: 25,800
Message 10 of 21

That's not a solution as there is no way to change that without Win10, which software licence I did not agree with

(I can't due to problems with data security / legal stuff).

This function key issue is a real pain in the a** - F5 to reload a browser window does not even work with pressing Fn.

What's the solution for a Linux driven system?

It was always possible to patch BIOSes with boot media - as this was always been seen as a "hardware" problem, fixing the firmware should definitly not depend on a third-party software.

Thank God there is none.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors