Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tboulette
Paper Tape
Views: 282
Message 1 of 6

Yoga 910 has very low bandwidth using 5G signal

Hi,

I have a Yoga 910 with the following problem: When I connect to the 5G band on my router (details on hardware [and software] below) I'll get good speeds for a period ranging from 30 seconds to 30 minutes, but then bandwidth will drop to between a trickle and about 6mbps (download speed).  Rebooting does nothing.  Resetting wifi does, but only temporarily, and then I'm right back to the beginning.

Hardware and software details:

Windows 10, latest updates installed

Lenovo drivers all up to date

No firewalls other than Windows Defender or whatever else comes with Windows.

Apple AirPort Extreme

Verizon FiOS (though we just moved and I had the same problem in our old house, using Redzone Wireless)

It occurs to me as I write that I haven't visited the Atheros website to see if they have any drivers that are newer than those from Lenovo.  I'll try that now, but in the meantime, I'll be grateful for any help.  This is a very frustrating issue.

Thanks!

tboulette
Paper Tape
Views: 261
Message 2 of 6

Re: Yoga 910 has very low bandwidth using 5G signal

UPDATE: Nothing newer found. Problem persists.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 233
Message 3 of 6

I'll say up front, I'm not a huge fan of Apple routers. If I read the specs, correctly, yours maxes out with Wireless-N. You might consider a newer router with MIMO and 80211 ac support. Depending on what else you have connected in your house, that could relieve your bottlenecks, right there.

Aside from that, here's what I did with my 910. It worked just fine until a WIndows Update changed a lot of things. This is from easiest-to-hardest. I can't tell exactly which one worked as I implemented them all at the same time. 

First, check your system logs in Event Viewer for errors. If you see a lot of WLAN errors, that's one thing. If you see a lot of DCOM errors, that's another. 

Second. Make sure you're forcing 5Ghz. If your Airport has the same SSID for both bands, the 910 will routinely fall back to 2.4Ghz whenever there's a signal issue. You may THINK you're on 5, but you've dropped back to 2.4.

Third: Change the Roaming Aggressiveness to a lower setting. Mine is happy at 3.

Fourth: Change the power plan advanced settings for the WiFi to "maximum performance."  If those settings are unavailable (Windows Update removed them for some people) you can get them back with a registry hack if you're comfortable doing that. 

Do all of that and see how it goes. If it still happens, note any errors in the Event Viewer like I mentioned above. 

It might also help to download and install one of the many free WiFi scanners to look around and see what your neighbors are doing. My old router had a nasty habit of going to the lowest channel... which is where all of my neighbors are. I picked up a used Netgear Nighthawk, updated its firmware and forced it to sit on a higher channel; one none of my neighbors use. In fact, it has TWO 5Ghz radios and one 2.4Ghz.  So, I've divided up my house. Laptops sit on one 5Ghz channel, phones on another. Everything that won't DO 5.Ghz gets the 2.4Ghz channel. All three have different SSIDs. 

One more thing: The convention "5G" now refers to a new telecommunications standard for cell phones, IoT, etc. In fact, I thought you were in one of the test markets when I read the title of your post. Probably less confusing to use 5Ghz when talking about a radio frequency. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
tboulette
Paper Tape
Views: 205
Message 4 of 6

Doctordon,

Thanks for the thorough reply -- very much appreciated.  Here's a reply:

Re: Apple Airport Extreme. I don't have an informed opinion, but suffice it to say I replaced a Netgear router with it, and got much better results.  My model supports 802.11ac, and works great with all the other gear on our network, including my Win10 desktop, two Apple TVs, two iPhones, an iPad, and miscellaneous non-Apple gear.

1)  I'm seeing lots of DCOM errors.

2)  2.4Ghz and 5Ghz (good point there) have separate SSIDs.

3)  Already set at 3, which I believe is the default value.

4)  This suggestion inspired me to dig in a little deeper. I found this article on a similar issue.

I suspect, though I haven't been able to confirm, that my model Airport Express doesn't support power management. I went ahead shut power management off (meaning, windows won't try to save power but periodically turning off power to wifi).

It's now been 24 hours without issue on battery power. I'll report back if the problem recurs.

Thanks again.

PewPewPew
Blue Screen Again
Views: 170
Message 5 of 6

tboulette
Paper Tape
Views: 161
Message 6 of 6

Thanks. The steps I’ve taken above seem to have fixed the problem. It’s been several days now, both on and off battery power, without issue. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors