cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tinza123
Core Memory
Views: 814
Message 1 of 11

Yoga 910 keyboard stopped working on an airplane (low air pressure)

This is the third time that it is happening. The keyboard works fine before taking off, then when the airplane goes to a certain height several keys stopped working. After landing it starts to functioning again. Definitely related to air pressure, which is pretty funny and annoying ...

I mean, I don't think I am being picky given that every one else on the air plane is playing with their laptops...

TheScottBeach
Paper Tape
Views: 755
Message 2 of 11

Re: Yoga 910 keyboard stopped working on an airplane (low air pressure)

This is a wild one! I fly every week with one or more Yogas: The original, the Yoga 3 Pro and the 900 (I don't have the 910 yet). I've never experienced this or ever heard of this. I can't even imagine what effect air pressure would have on the keyboard. A pressurized cabin while lower pressure than ground level is still no worse than someone who lives in the mountains. I'm trying to think of how individual keys could be impacted since the whole keyboard is connected by a single cable.

Lenovo Technology Partner
Views: 653
Message 3 of 11

Hi tinza123,

Is it just the keyboard that stops working? How about the touchpad, does it still work when in flight? If both inputs stops, try re-installing Lenovo Yoga Mode Control. This is going to be hard to figure out.

Please send word if this helps. 

Cheers, 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudos!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"
tinza123
Core Memory
Views: 649
Message 4 of 11

Everything else worked fine. Only the following keys stopped working:

q w e r u i o p win

all other keys are fine too. I do not think this is a software issue, as I tried to go into BIOS settings and create a password (just to test the keyboard), I see the same thing, these keys won't work but others do.

Guru
Views: 637
Message 5 of 11

I can't resist saying, "FIX THE PLANE!!"  But I'm kidding. Sounds like you've gotten something inside of the keyboard or near where it connects to the motherboard that expands just enough to foul a connection. Eat a lot of popcorn while watching videos?? Only half-joking. Loose styrofoam would be another concern. First thing I'd do is take some compressed air to the keyboard. 

Someone else with better knowledge of the keyboard construction might chime in with a better answer. I'm just saying what I'd start with, based on my experience.  I have parrots. I order replacement laptop keyboards five at a time. None for the 910.. yet.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Lenovo Technology Partner
Views: 627
Message 6 of 11

Hi, 

In this case the only part that I can think off that would cause the issue would be the ribbon cable for the keyboard. If its really a hardware issue then the only remedy would be to call Lenovo Warranty Services and get the upper case replaced. You can do so by clicking on the Contact Us link under Support at the bottom of the page.  

I wonder how the repair tech would test this out. 

Cheers,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudos!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"
Guru
Views: 610
Message 7 of 11

@jamdy17 wrote:

I wonder how the repair tech would test this out. 

I'd like to see his expense report after he does. Smiley Very Happy

tinza123
Core Memory
Views: 598
Message 8 of 11

I don't think it would be that difficult to test though. Put the laptop in a low air pressure container and test the keyboard? Like I heared Lenovo already have some tough tests for their Thinkpad line.

Guru
Views: 578
Message 9 of 11

First, I doubt the equipment they use to test prototypes is in the same building that does repair work Smiley Happy. If the rrepair centers don't already have a chamber, plane tickets would be the cheaper route to go. Smiley Wink

Ssyoga
What's DOS?
Views: 454
Message 10 of 11

Same issue

Top Kudoed Authors