cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Poop1
Paper Tape
Views: 382
Message 1 of 3

Yoga 910 keyboard: works in BIOS but does not work in OS - suspected stuck in tablet mode

The hardware on my one month old Yoga 910-13IKB (Windows 10 Pro ver. 1703) is now stuck in what seems like tablet mode:

• The built-in keyboard does not work anymore
  • The touchpad does not work anymore
  • The screen is stuck in landscape mode and does not rotate when the laptop is in tent mode
  • The speakers are stuck with the awful tablet-mode sound quality

When I boot to the BIOS, the keyboard works with no issue. However, when the OS boots, it almost instantly switches to the previously described mode. If I spam the keyboard as the laptop boots, it briefly works (I can type 3-4 letters on the log in screen) and then instantly stops working.

Things I have already attempted:

• Looking for an answer online
  • Rebooting the laptop multiple times
  • Turning the laptop off and then turning it on again
  • Updating the drivers (+ reboot)
  • Reinstalling Yoga Mode Control (+ reboot)
  • Opening/closing the lid from its closed state to the tablet state and everything in between

Things I am reticent to do:

• Since this is a brand new machine, I do not feel comfortable fiddling with the actual hardware (i.e. opening it to remove a battery to do a hard reset)

Suspected source of the issue:

• I think this has to do with the laptop believing that it's being booted while the hardware is in tablet mode (screen rotated all the way open) although it isn't.

I am severely disappointed in how finicky this laptop is for the price...

Thank you for any help

Poop1
Paper Tape
Views: 360
Message 2 of 3

Re: Yoga 910 keyboard: works in BIOS but does not work in OS - suspected stuck in tablet mode

Small update: Uninstalling "Yoga Mode Control" makes the laptop usable in laptop mode.

However it is no longer able to go into tent mode properly (no screen rotation)

Thus I still suspect that it may be a hardware issue and will require me to get an exchange... This is really maddening.

Has any one had any experience with this type of issue?

Did I simply get a lemon?

Guru
Views: 340
Message 3 of 3

Re: Yoga 910 keyboard: works in BIOS but does not work in OS - suspected stuck in tablet mode

I've seen a few reports of this, usually after a Windows Update. 

First, tap the Windows Key and type "tablet" into the search bar. Click on Tablet Mode Settings. Under "When I sign in" make sure it says "Use the appropriate mode for my hardware."

If those settings are correct, try reinstalling Yoga Mode Control from the download page. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors