Jon4444
Paper Tape
Views: 1,345
Message 1 of 6

Yoga 910 - no video output

Hi

Just bought a Yoga 910.

Have a USB-C to HDMI converter.

When plugged in, the computer can see the TV - it is in the list of devices. And the TV can see the computer - the HDMI indicator is highlighted.

But there is no video output from the computer. TV showns the message 'no signal'.

Intel multi screen function says it can't detect the TV.

Any ideas please.

Thanks

Jon

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,336
Message 2 of 6

Re: Yoga 910 - no video output

Welcome to the forum.

Is your adapter from Lenovo? Yoga 910 Platform Specifications indicates that both HDMI and VGA dongles are available but does not give part numbers. If you have a Lenovo adapter then perhaps you could call Lenovo and confirm that it's the correct one.

In this thread Yoga 910 USB-C Adapters user PhilipHendry says, "I've used this Dell USB-C to HDMI Adaptor and it works perfectly with the 4K monitor at 30hz I've got a work." Other posters on that thread report problems with other brands of adapters. It seems that the Y910 is particularly finiky about this. 

Paper Tape
Views: 1,245
Message 3 of 6

Thank You Dorian

I guess it must be the adapter. I'll go to the shop and change it and see what happens.

Jon4444
Paper Tape
Views: 1,215
Message 4 of 6

Hi

I have now got a HP adapter and it works just fine.

I've heard Lenovo adpaters work Ok, so do Dell and HP does. So it looks like adpaters made by the big computer manufacturers work, but those from other sources do not??

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,203
Message 5 of 6

Mine is a Trendnet purchased via Amazon. Works very well.  I'm learning not all USB-C toys are created equal. It's as if designers had these on the drawing board before there were any real-world devices to test them on. Kind of like any first-generation tech product. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,199
Message 6 of 6

I'm learning not all USB-C toys are created equal.

It seems to me the problem is that the USB-C standard incorporates support for everything (HDMI, DisplayPort, VGA, audio, data transfer, power, docking, Thunderbolt, etc.) but the kitchen sink (and maybe they're working on that too.)

Each "toy" manufacturer gets to choose which of these to support in their products. Also USB-C support got rolled out incrementally in PCs, e.g. the Y900s and some other Yogas don't do power through USB-C but rather through a proprietary variant of the USB-A standard. (Yes, "proprietary variant of a standard" is an oxymoron.)

Then to add insult to injury early USB-C cables were wired differently, some destroying the devices they were connected to. See e.g. How to Buy USB Type-C Cables That Won’t Fry Your Gadgets

So it's not surprising that buying "toys" has become a crapshoot. Until this gets sorted out I'd be careful to buy USB-C cables and accessories only from major manufacturers or from other vendors where the specific use you're contemplating has been tested.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors