Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skyline7349
Paper Tape
Views: 1,374
Message 1 of 7

Yoga 910 not charging while on

I was recently given a Yoga 910 which has barely been used and it seems that i cant charge it unless its off. When its powered on and plugged in it just says its on battery. 

I preformed the following stuff:

I thought it could be the charger but i tried my macbook pro 15inch USB c charger on it with the same results.

Ive tried to reinstall the OS but that didnt work.

I took off the back plate and removed the battery then held the power button for 30 seconds but that also didnt work.

Has anyone had this issue and fixed it?Its such a nice laptop i would like to get some use out of it. I even tried to update the bios but the software says it has to be plugged in to do that.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,351
Message 2 of 7

Re: Yoga 910 not charging while on

A couple of quick questions.. are you using the OEM charger that came with the 910? And you DO know that only the rear USB-C port will charge the computer, right?

The 910 is pretty finicky about the chargers it'll work with. I have a slim, 45W travel charger that'll only charge the 910 when it's off. But it'll work with my 920 perfectly. Meanwhile, the 45W HP USB-C charger I have works well with both computers.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
skyline7349
Paper Tape
Views: 1,348
Message 3 of 7

Yes it is the OEM charger. Maybe i should try ordering new one? I know the charger is outputting something because when i plug it into my switch it charges it.

Also yes I used the rear USB -c port.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,343
Message 4 of 7

Before ordering a new one, try reinstalling the Microsoft ACPI battery driver and AC driver. Win-X > Device manager and you'll see both listed under batteries. If you uninstall the device, it'll reinstall next boot. 

I'm also assuming you've run Lenovo Vantage to update all drivers including BIOS.

skyline7349
Paper Tape
Views: 1,337
Message 5 of 7

Well i actually completely reinstalled the system with a fresh copy of windows. The system recovery wouldnt even boot. It would just say "Please wait while installing system update" then restart twice and boot into the windows 10 OS. So i deleted all the recovery stuff.

I tried to update the Bios but it wont let me unless its charging. And since i cant get it to charge while its on i couldnt update the bios.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,327
Message 6 of 7

Did you follow that Windows install with re-installation of Lenovo-specific stuff? Trouble with fresh installs is it wipes out a lot of the tweaks various makers put on their devices.  I'm not sure which, if any, would address your issue, but figured I'd ask. 

If you want to rule out your charger, haul the 910 down to Best Buy and ask to use one of theirs. 

skyline7349
Paper Tape
Views: 1,322
Message 7 of 7

I usually avoid installing any manufacturers software. Could be my old school way of doing things since i feel most of it isnt needed and just bloats the system. Maybe times have changed though for laptops. I will try and install the software and see if that makes a difference. 

Also thats a smart idea! Ill try to take it to best buy  if software doesnt help. Thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors