Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Biscot
Serial Port
Views: 1,846
Message 1 of 18

Yoga 910 sometimes restarts during sleep mode

Occasionally during Sleep Mode, the laptop restarts for unknown reasons. But I just noticed that it has restarted when I log in.

I'm not sure whether this is caused by background updates of Windows 10, because I don't see a screen with updating or anything. AFAIK, the random restarts happened when the laptop ran on battery mode, but maybe that happens by accident.

I already configured in Energy Manager that the hard disk never gets turned off, but that apparently doesn't work.

What suggestions do you have to solve this random restart issue, without disabling sleep mode after X minutes?

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,814
Message 2 of 18

Re: Yoga 910 sometimes restarts during sleep mode

Windows will not update while in sleep mode, since your system is effectively turned off, so that is not the issue.

Normally when you system is in sleep mode for a while, it eventually goes into hibernation (writes the data from memory to the hard drive) and shuts off.   This is to preserve the battery, and to prevent data loss should the battery die.

The data is written to a hidden file on the root of the C:\ drive called hiberfil.sys, which is usually pretty large, about 6GB or so, and sometimes that file gets corrupted and cannot be read when you try to resume, thus the laptop reboots since it has no saved state from which to resume.    

To fix that problem, you need to disable hibernation to delete the existing hiberfil.sys file, and then re-enable hibernation to create a new hiberfil.sys file, which can be done by following the steps below..

Disable/re-enable hibernation

• Right Click on Start and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • In the Command Prompt (Admin) window, type:  powercfg.exe /h off

It will take a minute or so for the command prompt to return as it deletes the existing hiberfil.sys file

• Once the prompt returns, type: powercfg.exe /h on
  • The prompt should almost immediately return, and the new hiberfil.sys file has been created.

Close the Command Prompt (Admin) window

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Biscot
Serial Port
Views: 1,757
Message 3 of 18

Thank you for your suggestion.

However, the laptop still restarted during sleep mode on battery after recreating a new hibernation file.

It must be noted that the prompt returned immediately after I entered "powercfg.exe /h off"

user017
Paper Tape
Views: 1,732
Message 4 of 18

I've been having the same issue and the random restart has started to increase in frequency. 

Biscot
Serial Port
Views: 1,630
Message 5 of 18

Bumping this thread, as I still have this issue. This time, the random restart also happened when I let the screen open while it was in sleep mode. It ran on battery.

radan
What's DOS?
Views: 1,603
Message 6 of 18

Same here. First I thought its Windows 10 problem. I researched all possible ways to fix it. After I realized that it seems to be related to this concrete laptop. Something is happening there during sleep. Right now the possibiltiy it correctly recovers from sleep is around 10-15%.

My guess is that it is BIOS firmware problem. I dont see any special error codes in Windows Event Viewer when it happens. Only warnings like "The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report." which I think is OK.

Please research this problem. I'm Developer and all my opened environment is lost every day taking time to recover every morning. This is very annoying bug.

radan
What's DOS?
Views: 1,601
Message 7 of 18

Just in case including a bit more info. I disabled windows update service and it didnt fix the problem. It is not related to Windows settings as I also researched this topic quite intensively. In my case after the last BIOS update (ver 3xcn16ww), laptop is turned off completely when I open the lid (after closing it for laptop sleep). 

florenteen
Paper Tape
Views: 1,361
Message 8 of 18

Wondering if anyone resolved this issue? mine reboots every day with 0x00000154 bug check code, which is

unexpected store exception.

Biscot
Serial Port
Views: 1,335
Message 9 of 18

For a while I didn't have this issue, but I experienced random restarts twice this week.

Some info: I let my laptop run on battery until <40% or so before I charge.

The random restarts happened in the morning when my laptop was in battery mode. I charged it the evening before with my lid closed.

Biscot
Serial Port
Views: 1,302
Message 10 of 18

My laptop just restarted for no reason.

The circumstances:

• Laptop ran on battery, which was slightly below 40%
  • I had my lid open and my screen turned off after 5 mins I guess (it was set like that)
  • After 10 - 15 mins or so, the laptop suddenly restarted, even when I disabled Sleep Mode after X minutes!

I'm going to investigate how often the laptop suddenly restarts when my screen is turned off while on battery and open lid.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors