Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iamtaylor
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,642
Message 61 of 69

Re: Yoga 910 wifi issue

Well I would personally be over the moon at 16mbps! Oftentimes I get literally 0kbps or something around 8kbps. Yes KILOBYTES. I bought an external wifi adapter which has fixed the issue temporarily, but last time it only worked for about a week before that stopped as well. Since I just moved to South Africa and they don't manufacture this laptop here, my warranty is essentially void and there is absolutely nothing they can do to help. I'm going to give in and fully void my warranty at some point and just have a technician here try to fix it. 

NEVER AGAIN Lenovo. This is TWO lemons I have purchased brand new from Lenovo and I'm just seething at the thought of how much money I've wasted. I hate to say it, but my next laptop will probably be a mac. 

leftbrain99
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,634
Message 62 of 69

It's amazing to me. If I hadn't replaced my WiFi adapter to something that works, I'd be questioning Lenovo support on why people on this very thread are able to solve WiFi problem simply by switching to an Intel card. Perhaps the fail rate on the Atheros is just so that replacing the whole mboard (WiFi included) could make a difference, but still. And I'm sure there's some business deal in place that makes Lenovo beholden to Atheros for this notebook such that support can't even recommend switching. 

If anyone is in SF and wants to meet up, I'd love to compare WiFi performance with my Intel card installed while operating in the same network. This is literally a 10 minute job with the right tools (you just need a torx T6 screwdriver). If you can sew a button, you can do this fix yourself (and also undo it if you're really concerned about your warranty). Heck, I'll even install it for you in SF.

An Intel 7260, 8260, or 8265 can be had for $10-25 dollars. That's it. (I first installed a 7260 that I pulled from my older Samsung. Once I saw that it worked and outperformed the stock Atheros, I bought the newer 8265.)

7260:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GUNZUG0/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=AE3YR9AX5P25J&psc=1

8265:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MZA1AB2/ref=pd_aw_sbs_147_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=29HQNNP7RW841AQ2Z...

Pa1k
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,621
Message 63 of 69

After months of research, trial and error, back and forth with lenovo support, I have given up on this brand new laptop. Totally disappointed with the Lenovo support here in India, who said they will replace the Atheros wifi chipset with a new chipset, again from the same Atheros make. Those fools do not understand any technical details I gave them and repeat the same answer. How on earth they think, replacing Atheros with a Atheros chip will solve the problem, when the problem itself is Atheros chip. 

I am using the laptop with a external wifi dongle, which works perfectly fine, but takes up the only USB port on the laptop. Also noticed that the issue is always seen with certain wifi routers like- TP-Link (TL-WR841N / TL-WR841ND) I tested with an D-link and old chinese router, where the issue of jamming the router is not noticed, but the speed is not so great.

My conclusion, the Atheros chipset has issues with certain routers, not all (may be the 100 mbps + ones). But the Lenovo guys are not accepting it and fixing it. No more Lenovo for me.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,609
Message 64 of 69

For what it's worth, mine is going on 5 months without any of the above issues after doing my fix. I do think resolving the DCOM issues is the answer to the problem. It's one of three things I did, simultaneously. But I haven't had the router jamming issue, anymore, nor any other of the WiFi issues that seem to be common. Still on my original Atheros chip.

So, it CAN be fixed. It's just a bit of work finding all those registry keys wrecked by the Qualcomm installer program when Windows Anniversary rolled out. OH.. and, make sure to 1) back up your registry, first and 2) launch regedit as an administrator. You can't re-assign permissions if you don't.

Details upthread.  

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Ed_Sus
Paper Tape
Views: 1,600
Message 65 of 69

Yep.. mine has been all good since all the fixes as well. Consistent wifi with good speeds.

Stephane_Picard
Paper Tape
Views: 1,403
Message 66 of 69

Re: Yoga 910 wifi issue - SOLVED!

I've just got a new Yoga 910 and hit the same irritating issue (even with the power settings - the WIFI driver used around 30% of the CPU permanently - with fan on...).

I eventually tried a BIOS update (via pcsupport.lenovo.com / accepted LSB and TVSU install), and it identified only 1 mandatory change: WLAN Driver (Qualcomm Atheros 12.0.0.325). I accepted the install and the problem has been fixed straight away.

I've restarted and been using for few hours -  the laptop works perfectly now Smiley Happy

Stephane_Picard
Paper Tape
Views: 1,397
Message 67 of 69

The issue is fixed with the new driver - Qualcomm Atheros  12.0.0.325

You can install it via pcsupport.lenovo.com

justmara
What's DOS?
Views: 355
Message 68 of 69

Nope. 12.0.0.325 does not solve anything. Whenever I turn the power plug off my laptop - it drops wifi connection.
Trying that "PCI Express" setting now - will check, but this supposed to be working without that dirty power-saving tricks.

And it is NOT working Smiley Sad

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 343
Message 69 of 69

@justmara wrote:

Nope. 12.0.0.325 does not solve anything. Whenever I turn the power plug off my laptop - it drops wifi connection.
Trying that "PCI Express" setting now - will check, but this supposed to be working without that dirty power-saving tricks.

And it is NOT working Smiley Sad

This sounds like what happens when the "plugged in" and "on battery" settings for the WiFi card are different. In my experience, the Qualcomm card isn't happy with a lot of Windows 10's power saving schemes. This link is for an Intel card, but reaching the settings is the same. Set the WiFi card for "maximum performance" for botn "plugged in" and "on battery." Reboot and see if it helps.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005879/network-and-i-o/wireless-networki...

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors