cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
travisnow
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,515
Message 21 of 65

Re: Yoga 920-13IKB, replacing Qualcomm Aetheros with Intel AC 8265 Wireless card or something better

That’s disappointing. I have mine to replace and hope to get to it today, will report back. I’m not going to modify any software settings, straight up swap, and see if performance benchmarks change at all. 

TPham1948
Token Ring
Views: 1,508
Message 22 of 65

Re: Yoga 920-13IKB, replacing Qualcomm Aetheros with Intel AC 8265 Wireless card or something better

Hope that you do it soon, so we can compare the notes.

Also, let me know how you disconnect the battery. That was the hardest part in the whole process for me.

wildta
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,403
Message 23 of 65

Just got a brand new Yoga and had intermittent wifi drops while on battery--really frequent, like every 3-10 seconds so basically unusable on battery.  Sent it in and they did not fix it and now I'm past my return period.  Any other solutions besides replacing the wifi card?  I just read about that "agressive roaming" option.  I'll have to test to see if that does anything.  Another thread on here mentions changing the power mgmt on the wifi card (but of course Lenovo and Qualcomm and MS removed that option from recent drivers so you have to do it via registry or command line).  Still researching solutions and thought I'd post my issues ahead of time.

Look fwd to reading more updates on the Intel 9260 swaps.  Also, does the ePen still work with the Intel cards?

TPham1948
Token Ring
Views: 1,355
Message 24 of 65

. As for 'had intermittent wifi drops while on battery--really frequent, like every 3-10 seconds so basically unusable on battery', I don't really remember if I had that problem while I was using the Qualcomm. I do know that after lowering the 'Roaming Agressiveness', the wifi connection turned off, then after reconnected, the result was was like day and night. The connection reached the maximum of my internet package, but the consistency and the bluetooth could at times be less than expected. 

. The 8265 has been left in the 920. Wifi, Ethernet, Bluetooth are working reliably. Bluetooth Pen, Keyboard & Mouse maintained 'connected' so far, no problem.

Both the 8265 & the Qualcomm are fine in my case, although I think that the 8265 could be a bit better, but nothing 'spectacular' to boast about.

Edited for additional info about 'Roaming Aggressiveness;

. Go to the device manager, select your wifi card go to Properties and set "Transmit Power" to maximum, and "Roaming Aggressiveness" to lowest setting. Aggressive roaming settings can cause the card to try to switch access points in environments where there are many wifi networks present - often in office buildings with multiple businesses on same floor, or in apartment buildings. Increased transmit power can help with some trade off for run time on battery. Referenced link.

. Intel Article Article ID: 000005546

. Boosting Roaming Aggressiveness

travisnow
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,260
Message 25 of 65

(Link to performance testing spreadsheet at bottom of post)

Ok, I did finish getting the new Intel 8265 network card installed.

A couple observations about the switch from my perspective:

-Buy a toolkit if you don't have one, I got mine from Amazon was $12.

-Be in a well lit area, I found natural light was very helpful.

-Getting the back off was a little tricky as it had a tab holding it in the center, gently work it up and away from the laptop, and it popped off for me (don't try rotating too far, could snap clip). Time: 5 minutes.

-Disconnecting power was much easier with the items in the toolkit, fairly straightforward. Time: 1 minutes.

-Removing old network card. Training video here made it straightforward Time: 2 minutes.

-ANTENNA LEAD WIRES were a BEAR to reconnect. I thought I messed them up at one point, and even took a magnified photo with my iphone, but was unable to determine if the connectors were damaged in any way. Finally they did both snap back on. Time: 20 minutes.

Now for the thing I've been waiting for PERFORMANCE:

-Overall I'd say very much improved, but also very inconsistent.

-Overall pattern of consistency in download performance is 6X the Aetheros card.

-I tested several different things including a USB wifi card I had handy, the USB-C Lenovo adapter that had a gigabit card on it (poor), and a Dell laptop I have for work.

IF YOU LIKE CHECK THE SPREADSHEET HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kkzjr6qqiGUlRgTIoKZP7JFoas0xud-uzSuyicftm2c/edit?usp=sharing

travisnow
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,306
Message 26 of 65

(performance testing spreadsheet at bottom of post)

Ok, I did finish getting the new Intel 8265 network card installed.

A couple observations about the switch from my perspective:

-Buy a toolkit if you don't have one, I got mine from Amazon was $12.

-Be in a well lit area, I found natural light was very helpful.

-Getting the back off was a little tricky as it had a tab holding it in the center, gently work it up and away from the laptop, and it popped off for me (don't try rotating too far, could snap clip). Time: 5 minutes.

-Disconnecting power was much easier with the items in the toolkit, fairly straightforward. Time: 1 minutes.

-Removing old network card. Training video here made it straightforward Time: 2 minutes.

-ANTENNA LEAD WIRES were a BEAR to reconnect. I thought I messed them up at one point, and even took a magnified photo with my iphone, but was unable to determine if the connectors were damaged in any way. Finally they did both snap back on. Time: 20 minutes.

Now for the thing I've been waiting for PERFORMANCE:

-Overall I'd say very much improved, but also very inconsistent.

-Overall pattern of consistency in download performance is 6X the Aetheros card.

-I tested several different things including a USB wifi card I had handy, the USB-C Lenovo adapter that had a gigabit card on it (poor), and a Dell laptop I have for work.

IF YOU LIKE CHECK THE SPREADSHEET HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kkzjr6qqiGUlRgTIoKZP7JFoas0xud-uzSuyicftm2c/edit?usp=sharing

TPham1948
Token Ring
Views: 1,268
Message 27 of 65

Well done ! Congratulations.

. Would you list the part number and/or the link for the toolkit that you bought from Amazon ?

. I had 'hard time' gripping the battery plug to disconnect it. How did you manage that ?

Glad that you are happy with the switch.

travisnow
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,220
Message 28 of 65

I added the toolkit detail to the spreadsheet.

To disconnect battery, I just used the blue tool and silver tool, one under, and one over to pull it out of battery slot.

Is your network performance no more consistent or faster? Today is my first full day using the laptop since ordering the network card, and I'm loving it!

travisnow
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,219
Message 29 of 65

Just did another test today, broke 300MB download! Will continue to update performance on that sheet as I can. Performance will continue to vary I predict, but overall much better than with Aethoeros, 5x-10x better!
kentkrogh
Punch Card
Views: 1,204
Message 30 of 65

Can you all explain what software changes you made when you replaced the Qualcomm wi-fi card with the Intel card.  Did you first delete any Qualcomm or Lenovo drivers?  Did you download any Intel drivers or did Windows automatically detect a new device and add what was needed?

FYI, I cannot get Miracast to TV to work using Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter in Sony HDMI port.  After running DirectX Diagnostic Tool found following facts: Windows Display Drive Model (WDDM) 2.3, Miracast: Available with HDCP, HDR Support: Not supported, Miracast: Not supported by wi-fi driver.  My Qualcomm driver ver. 12.0.0.325 7/24/2017.  My Yoga 920 was manufactured 9/24/2017.  

Thanks for any help.  Seriously thinking to replace Qualcomm with Intel 8265.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors