cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clevor
Punch Card
Views: 522
Message 61 of 65

Re: Yoga 920-13IKB, replacing Qualcomm Aetheros with Intel AC 8265 Wireless card or something better

TokenRing, where did you purchase the WIFI card? Were you able to get it replaced at no charge?

I have heard of counterfeit products being sold, presumably on Ebay. You can get these WIFI cards on Amazon but often they are shipped direct from China so I don't know if that makes them more 'counterfeit-proof'.

I'm a good customer of Amazon and purchases there are pretty foolproof; in that, for something like this which runs $9-32, Amazon will just refund my money if the vendor won't ship out a free replacement - up to a year down the line.

I had an HP Omen laptop for less than a month. It was working fine except WIFI issues. HP offered to have the WIFI card swapped out at my home via an HP tech with a better WIFI card the laptop came optioned with. After a week of waiting, HP told me they can't do that and either send it in for repair (which would take weeks to get back), or exchange the laptop from the dealer. HP told me the WIFI card was soldered to the MB. Errrrrrrrr . . . ????? Since I bought the laptop from an Amazon vendor, I had no problem returning it for refund as it was within 30 days of purchase.

hmaiszem
Punch Card
Views: 288
Message 62 of 65

Re: Yoga 920-13IKB, replacing Qualcomm Aetheros with Intel AC 8265 Wireless card or something better

please from where did you order the card
On eBay, all the seller said at the description that 9260 not compatible with Lenovo
FGG-IBCA
Blue Screen Again
Views: 281
Message 63 of 65

I purchased the Intel 9260 Vpro on Amazon on Aril 2018.

Just keep in mind that there are 2 version of 9260, Vpro and No Vpro and they have different FRU number and EC, they are both available on Amazon, so don't confuse them and check the FRU and the EC.

Below is the picture of the one I got and installed on my Yoga 920-13IKB. FRU 01AX771 EC 1840014.

Make sure you have the proper tools to remove the bottom cover of the laptop and be careful removing and plugging back the 2 wire leads for the antenna they are very tiny pushbuttons and they need to be firmly  in place.

The intel Driver currently installed is dated 7/30/2018  driver 20.80.0.5  for the Wi-Fi adapter and 20.70.0.4 for the Intel BlueTooth.

Download and save the drivers from Intel support before you replace your old Wi-Fi so that you can install them when you put in the new Intel 9260 or you will have no internet connection. Without the drivers your new adapter will be useless. 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/99445/Intel-Wireless-AC-9260

I hope this helps.

Intel 9260-Vpro.PNG

hmaiszem
Punch Card
Views: 266
Message 64 of 65

Thank you for responding but is there any difference between the Vpro and No Vpro? both are working or just the Vpro
Do you have any idea if I replace the card will that effect on warranty?

FGG-IBCA
Blue Screen Again
Views: 260
Message 65 of 65

You can read the difference on the Intel web site or in the link below. I think the chipset of the Yoga 920 uses the Vpro technology, so I just ordered the 9260 Vpro, it uses the Intel ProSet software and drivers to support the Vpro.

I did not try the No Vpro adapter even if it may be 3 or 4  dollars cheaper, so I cannot tell you if that works or not with the Yoga 920, perhaps it works without the specific features of the Vpro.  The one I have is the Vpro version and it works fine for me with Windows 10 1803 64bits or even with Windows 10 1809 (which was pulled back by MS for other issues).

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/intel-vpro-faq

As for the warranty that is a question for Lenovo, it shouldn't since the original adapter that they installed is performing poorly.

Luckily I did not have to use the warranty. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors