12-20-2018

US

1 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 1 of 4

Yoga 920 Battery

2018-12-20, 4:47 AM

I had a question about battery usage in general or for the specific laptop model.

Is it okay to use a laptop for gaming while it is plugged in? Does it have any effect on the battery short/long term?

I read somewhere else that when its plugged in and the battery reaches 100% the laptop starts drawing power from the outlet, but I'm not sure if its true or if it's even a good idea.

Options

9999 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

6786 Signins

729949 Page Views

• Views: 729949
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Yoga 920 Battery

2018-12-20, 13:20 PM

Hi juandiegofergus,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Nowadays, modern laptops like the Yoga920 have special chips both with the battery and machine itself that automatically regulate power utilization and battery conservation.

It is ok to use the laptop while plugged in and even suggested to preserve the recharge cycles of the battery. As the machine detects ac connection, it switches to direct power even when below 100% as it both powers the laptop and charge the battery.

It is the heat that we should be cautious with since it is one of the major factors that affects battery life. Always keep it ventilated with the vents open and bottom circulation free from obstruction when in prolonged used.

I hope this helps answer your query.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

53 Posts

11-28-2017

US

79 Signins

728 Page Views

• Views: 728
  • Message 3 of 4

2018-12-21, 12:36 PM

If you are talking about gaming, I've tried several gaming laptops and you pretty much HAVE TO HAVE THEM PLUGGED IN FOR GAMING! Otherwise, battery life is barely an hour to an hour-and-a-half. In addition, you get better performance benchmarks, e.g., 3DMark with the laptop plugged in. No amount of modern technology has improved this compared to 10 years ago. Fortunately, I had other issues with the laptops so I was able to return them for refund within the warrantee period. No more! I bought gaming desktops instead. For $1000 less, you can get a desktop with the same 8th Gen Intel CPU and (Geforce GTX 1080 Ti) video card. Better yet, you can get an i7-8700K, which cannot be installed on laptops and is overclockable.

But if you are talking about a laptop which you are planning on using as a portable device, Lenovo is saying to keep it plugged in and the less you recharge the battery the longer the battery life???? That is news to me. From what I know from all the various lithium battery-powered devices and tools I own (Makita 18 volt, Greenworks 40 volt, all previous laptops), they recommend totally discharging the batteries periodically to improve the battery 'memory', and for long term storage, to charge the batteries to no more than 70% or so. When charging my Dell and Lenovo non-gaming laptops at home, I discharge to 15-20% and set the BIOS to limit the max charge to 68-70%. Then when I do use the laptops out in the field, they charge to 100% pretty consistently. I mainly use my Dell XPS 13 when I travel, and after 7-8 months of break in, I am getting around 10-12 hours of battery life playing videos on plane flights.

And as for the Yoga 920, it is still unclear whether Lenovo has solved the heat issue when charging the battery. I suppose if you keep the laptop plugged in all the time at 100% charge, you eliminate the overheating that occurs from 10-60% charge, after which it tends to cease.

I will try posting this Lenovo recommendation on the HP and Dell forums and see what they say.

Options

9999 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

6786 Signins

729949 Page Views

• Views: 729949
  • Message 4 of 4

2018-12-21, 13:10 PM

Hi all,

Greetings.

There are several articles on debunking myths on battery usage that would explain further details. This would also be available on several forums discussions whether you keep a laptop plugged in or not.

It is not healthy for the battery to practice reset draining often and should only be use to reset misreadings.

Do not allow batteries to drain often as it would affect performance in the long term use. It should be kept 20-80% at most times. So it also goes for overcharging. For the same reason, electronic manufacturers studies ways to prevent this.

The battery is measured by recharge cycles. 

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save