Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Joceti
Paper Tape
Views: 7,293
Message 1 of 14

Yoga 920 - Charging heat

I have a yoga 920 Star Wars edition that I got recently. It works perfect, until I start charging it. Once plugged in, the temperature jumps to 90 degrees Fahrenheit. I’ve never seen a computer get hit like that just from charging. Is there a way to fix this?

Moderator Note: Edited subject to match content.

Clevor
Punch Card
Views: 7,242
Message 2 of 14

Re: Yoga 920 - Charging heat

I see the same issue on my Yoga 920 Star Wars Edition. It seems the laptop tends to heat up when the battery is initially charging from 5-55% of full, then the fan doesn't come on much after that. Whenever the fan runs, the CPU is running at max speed. I get the impression that for the fan to run, it needs power, so the CPU has to run at max speed to provide the board with power. But isn't it a Catch-22 situation that when the CPU runs at max speed, won't that add further heat to the system? After all, that is usually what triggers the fan to run on most laptops.

I also get the impression that due to how all the components are shoehorned into the frame, when the battery charges, it is heating up the laptop, so then that sets off the fans as the motherboard sees elevated temps.

At first I thought maybe my battery was defective. But in the Lenovo app where you can do a system check, it says my battery is OK and it charges up to 100% and discharges OK so it seems to me nothing is wrong with it.

It like the charging process has two phases: initial charging is accelerated (like a quick charge), which causes the battery to heat up, and then after the battery is charged 50%, the charging current tapers off, so the fans don't run much after that.

By the way, 90 F is not hot. If you can stand it on a hot summer afternoon, a laptop will have no problem tolerating it. Now 90C is a different matter, that is hot, even for a CPU. When I am charging my Yoga and the fans go off, it is usually running 60-70 C, which is OK. But most laptops don't get that hot while charging, especially when the laptop is just sitting there and you are not running any apps.

Whenever possible I charge with the Yoga off. I don't hear any fans then - Heh. And I presume with the system down, it can't be overheating in any way Smiley Indifferent. Next time I do this I will check surface temps on the Yoga with my infrared temp meter.

Joceti
Paper Tape
Views: 7,224
Message 3 of 14

Okay, that makes more sense. Thanks for the explanation. And I know 90 F isn't that hot, but it just got me a bit worried when it was climbing temperatures.

MaxxSource
What's DOS?
Views: 6,501
Message 4 of 14

This does not seem like much of a solution. Users should be able to enter 'sleep mode' or 'hybernate' as opposed to a complete 'shut down'. When the laptop is plugged in, it tends to get much hotter (90F) and it seems to take time to charge. In fact, I continue to hear audio from any applications that are running when the Lenovo yoga 920 is in sleep mode and still plugged in. This to me seems like a defect. I beleive their is a bigger underlying issue in the battery usage when the laptop is plugged in. Unfortunately, I have yet to see a fix or update for the problem.

DivD
What's DOS?
Views: 6,377
Message 5 of 14

I see the exact set of issues on my laptop. Almost not usable during charge (shoots up to 90 degree celsius) and the battery drains even in sleep mode. I had my friend bring this laptop from US to India and now this isn't supported in India apparently. Clueless on how to proceed. 

Clevor
Punch Card
Views: 6,368
Message 6 of 14

I also have a Dell XPS 13 and the battery seemed to drain also when off. You need to make sure nothing is connected to any of the USB ports, like a cable or something. It seems to trigger some sort of drain mode. I don't have the problem anymore with both of my laptops if I do this. I know it doesn't make sense since the cable isn't connected to anything so how can it short? 

binitd
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,227
Message 7 of 14

Hi Clevor,

I'm facing the same issue. This does not seems like solution.

Team Lenovo, do you have any better solution for this.

The metal body is making the laptop unbearable hot to keep on lap.

terrasoff
What's DOS?
Views: 6,167
Message 8 of 14

I confirm the issue as well. Actually it makes me really disapointed. Do i really need to get it off while (fast) charging? It is not a best solution i think. I bet lenovo engineers can fix it well.

jvicentin
What's DOS?
Views: 5,680
Message 9 of 14

I have the same issue, and the temperature is too high! I think is not normal or acceptable. So, I'd like to know what is the answer of lenovo team?

cisbrane
Punch Card
Views: 5,588
Message 10 of 14

I have 920 glass vibes and it too gets quite warm when charging. I guess Lenovo doesn't care...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors