Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
filippovich
Paper Tape
Views: 909
Message 11 of 14

Re: Yoga 920 - Charging heat

i am also experiencing very hot temps when the computer is charging. which is a drag bacause everything else about the laptop is good. the fans kick in automatically and its loud. i cant keep the laptop on my lap. actually the whole things is super hot. even the top where the number keys are. yes its related to the charging process and having the CPUs work at max that triger fans. also the charging brick is scalding hot. what i dont understand is this. Why does the laptop stays scalding hot when the computer is charging on stanby until its unplugged? that could be hours or days even though it only takes 1-2hr to charge it completely. that cant be good for any components in the laptop. however if you turn the computer off or hibernate and start the charging process it doesnt get hot at all. 

i actually think it might be a defective usb c charging adaptor. just to test i used a non lenovo 45w charger and i had none of these overheating issues. i had lenovo send me a replacement adaptor but b/c the "local" repair center in KY do not have any in stock. i am waiting more than a week to get a replacement. and no word when a replacement that will become available. seems odd that charging adaptor for a new product are not available. more reason to think they are poorly made and higher chance of not passing QC. until then i will charge my yoga only when my computer is hibernating. i will take some IR thermo readings when i get a chance and post some pics

it would be interesting to see if other people can replicate what im experiencing. also i dont understand why win10 doesnt allow for throttling of cpu when its plugged in. just like you can do when its on battery. in this case it would not be for battery life extention but heat reduction. 

birdie1
Paper Tape
Views: 776
Message 12 of 14

I also have this problem. I find the fan comes on regulary which isnt so much of a problem until you're watching a movie and you acnt hear the film! But more worrying for me is the temperature of the charging cable, the box part of it is so hot i cant even pick it up while its charging. And Im too worried to leave it charging on its own in case it burns something.

filippovich
Paper Tape
Views: 739
Message 13 of 14

i have recived a replacement charging unit from lanovol. however that did not fix the overheating issue. the brick and the computer get hot. i used a IR themometer and the laptop underside is 100-105F while charging. so you can imagine trying to have that on your lap. and the charging brick is around 116F. i cant image how lenovo thinks that operating temps 100-150 are normal. one possible solution is to get a lower wattage power brick that will deliver less charge and less heat. or return the computer to lenovo for analysis/repair. i am a little puzzeled as to why there aren't any heating issues that are mentioned in the yoga920 product review page. unless lenovo intentioally leaves those out. i wish i came across this community before buying my yoga. 

filippovich
Paper Tape
Views: 707
Message 14 of 14

i think i found yet another alternative to charging the laptop in the off state. is to add maximum CPU state to 99% while charging and that disables turbo boost and keeps the clock at 1.8Ghz. win10 removed that feature with the new version. so a registry add will be needed. its pretty simple. just use this link and download the registry file. obviously if you are doing some heavy processing and require the turbo boost you will need to set the max processor back to 100% while charging. this is obviously an issue with the yoga920 software/firmware that automatically cranks the cpu to max. as core 0 is constatnly at 100% usage. bc not all yoga920 users are experiencing this issue might  be due to the fact that they have the slower i5-8250CPU. hope levovo comes up with a better bios  as there are no controls in regards to this. or anthing other than security options by that matter. 

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/107967-add-remove-maximum-processor-state-power-options-windows....

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors