Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

06-08-2021

Belarus

9 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 10

Yoga 920 Fans aren't spinning - hardware specs and help for manual repair

2021-06-08, 16:08 PM

Hi,

Recently I noticed, that fans on my Lenovo Yoga 920 13IKB stopped spinning. Previously, they kicked on pretty often, but now they never start spinning even on high-load. CPU just throttles and the laptop became so hot, it's hard to touch.

My warranty has expired and I doubt we have a Lenovo service centre in our country. I have some experience with soldering and electronics and I'm wondering - is it possible to fix the problem manually? I've heard that on some laptop models there are specific chips on a motherboard responsible for controlling fans and it's possible to replace them. But does Yoga 920 have such microcontrollers? If yes, what part number do they have? Have anyone an experience fixing such problems?

Options

2968 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

287 Signins

26137 Page Views

• Views: 26137
  • Message 2 of 10

Re:Yoga 920 Fans aren't spinning - hardware specs and help for manual repair

2021-06-08, 18:47 PM

Welcome to the Community Forums @ psx!

Thanks for posting here!

Does the issue only occurs when using a specific app or doing a specific activity?

Also, can you please share here your device's MTM (machine type-model) number for us to check its specifications?

It can be seen through the device's label/sticker or its original packaging and does usually have a format of 8********R as an example.

Try pressing the FN + Q keys on your keyboard to toggle the Yoga 920 from either to Performance or Quiet mode then observe the fans if they'll make some sort of a noise and see if they'll be spinning.

See/Observe if the fans also spins when the Yoga 920 laptop is booting up.

As for your other concern, it would be advisable to have the device be brought instead to any local service providers near your area so that they can inspect the machine and see if there are any other hardware concerns in it that may require repairs for it to work properly again.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

5 Posts

06-08-2021

Belarus

9 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2021-06-09, 2:11 AM

Hi Adriel!

Thanks for the reply! The fans do not spin during any type of activity: internet browsing, using heavy code editors, gaming on integrated graphics, gaming on eGPU. Pressing FN+Q shows on-screen "Quiet" and "Performance" (LenovoUtility App from Windows Store) but doesn't change anything (it did work previously, as I remember).

MTM: 80Y70010US

A small note on the hardware: I'd replaced the native Atheros Bluetooth/WiFi module with Intel AX200.

> See/Observe if the fans also spins when the Yoga 920 laptop is booting up.

The fans do not spin during the boot either. They do not spin even after loading into the BIOS (but probably should, the device became very hot).

>  As for your other concern, it would be advisable to have the device be brought instead to any local service providers near your area so that they can inspect the machine and see if there are any other hardware concerns in it that may require repairs for it to work properly again.

Likely, I found a couple of service centres in the capital of our country, but unfortunately, I'm in another city. It seems there are no other visible issues, except the fans.

I would appreciate any advice on fans hardware details, repairing and fixing this problem. At least it can help to make an informed decision. If I see that the repair is outside of my expertise or tools aren't precise enough, then I'll take the machine to the service centre in another city, though it may be a bit inconvenient as I still use the laptop on a daily basis as my main machine and have no other alternatives right now.

Thanks,
psx

Options

2968 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

287 Signins

26137 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2021-06-09, 13:34 PM

Thanks for responding and providing your device's details @ psx!

You may check pages 41 and 42 of your Yoga 920's hardware maintenance manual to see the steps on how you can disassemble the entire thermal module (fans) itself off the device for it to be repaired/replaced should you decide to open the machine on your own/end.

Here's another link as well that contains instructional videos that will help you get a visual as well when it comes to removing or replacing parts on your Yoga 920 laptop.

If the part itself is already defective, you may also use the part number 5H40Q09685 when getting (purchasing) a new thermal module that you can use for the device.

You may inquire with any local tech stores/shops in your area (physical store and online) if they do have the item available and in stock, make sure to contact them first to inquire about their store's policy if in case there's something wrong with the item.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

5 Posts

06-08-2021

Belarus

9 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2021-06-09, 14:43 PM

Hi Adriel,

Wonderful! This info is exactly what I was looking for.

However, I can't find whether the thermal module contains some kind of a microcontroller for controlling the fans, or this microcontroller is placed on the motherboard.
If the first assumption is true, then replacing the thermal module should help. But if the microcontroller lives on the board, then replacing the thermal module may not solve the problem.

Thanks,
psx

Options

2968 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

287 Signins

26137 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2021-06-09, 15:23 PM

@ psx wrote:

Hi Adriel,

Wonderful! This info is exactly what I was looking for.

However, I can' find whether the thermal module contains some kind of a microcontroller for controlling the fans, or this microcontroller is placed on the motherboard.
If the first assumption is true, then replacing the thermal module should help. But if the microcontroller lives on the board, then replacing the thermal module may not solve the problem.

Thanks,
psx

Hello again @ psx!

Thanks for replying!

It is the BIOS firmware itself who controls the thermal module's (fan) operation and that also manages how TDP and system performance would work.

With this, it is the system itself who decides in controlling the fan's speed depending on how the Yoga 920 was used.

This is also the reason on why the Yoga 920 laptop also needs to be bring to any local service providers as well so that they can further inspect it and see if there are any other parts that may needs to be replaced/repaired aside from the thermal module itself.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

5 Posts

06-08-2021

Belarus

9 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2021-06-09, 15:53 PM

Hi Adriel,

Thank YOU for the reply!

In such a case, the issue may be harder to fix on my own, and I should find a way to contact the service centre indeed. You've convinced me :)

Thanks,

psx

Options

2968 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

287 Signins

26137 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2021-06-09, 16:29 PM

@ psx wrote:

Hi Adriel,

Thank YOU for the reply!

In such a case, the issue may be harder to fix on my own, and I should find a way to contact the service centre indeed. You' convinced me :)

Thanks,

psx

Thanks for replying @ psx!

No worries, feel free to post here again at the Community Forums anytime!

Hope this has helped you out and answered your concerns.

Regards,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

Options

5 Posts

06-08-2021

Belarus

9 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2021-06-11, 8:25 AM

Hi Adriel,

I've contacted an official local service centre, and they said that they do not have another (working) Thermal Module for this model even to diagnose the problem.
Also, they said that they are usually only servicing notebooks that are covered by a warranty (mine is expired).

Are there any other options? Is it possible to find a PWM-controller specification (datasheet) and schematics, responsible for controlling the fans of Yoga 920?

Thanks,
psx

Options

2968 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

287 Signins

26137 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2021-06-11, 14:24 PM

@ psx wrote:

Hi Adriel,

I' contacted an official local service centre, and they said that they do not have another (working) Thermal Module for this model even to diagnose the problem.
Also, they said that they are usually only servicing notebooks that are covered by a warranty (mine is expired).

Are there any other options? Is it possible to find a PWM-controller specification (datasheet) and schematics, responsible for controlling the fans of Yoga 920?

Thanks,
psx

Hello @ psx!

Thanks for responding!

Try checking to any third party stores (physically and through their online site) to inquire if they have the part on their end.

Make sure to know their shipping policy/regulations as well especially if the item will be shipped outside of your region.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo
Lenovo Support

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)