cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
racarlos
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 437
Message 1 of 2

Yoga 920 High CPU usage when charging (BUG)

As the title suggests, the CPU usage of this laptop goes very high when it is plugged in. This results in high CPU temperatures and surface temperatuers and the fan becoming very noisy, despite no programmes being open in windows. It is extremely annoying and simply burning out the laptop and it's power supply. I could not find a solution.

I have a suspicion that due to charging, laptop creates heat in some components (VRM etc), this is magnified by Rapid Charging, therefore the fans must run during charging to dissipate heat.

I suspect the fans' running voltage is linked to the CPU load, so the only way for the fans to run faster to dissipate charging heat is by running the CPU at higher voltage/frequency, which in turn creates even more heat.

Perhaps a simple fix would be to give an option to turn off Rapid Charging, as to reduce heat, in Lenovo Vantage.

The CPU management is terrible on this laptop. I don't know if it is Intel's DPTF drivers or Lenovo's firmware, but the battery would die very quickly. I disabled Turbo Boost on battery mode and the battery life almost doubled. 

I am quite dissapointed with few aspects of this laptop, such as mentioned which leads to poor battery life. There has been no update in a long time and I think there are quite a few things to fix. 

Don't just fix this in the Yoga 930. You need to look after your current customers as well. PLEASE LOOK INTO THIS AND WORK ON A FIX.

This laptop is so close to perfect...

Thank you.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 410
Message 2 of 2

Re: Yoga 920 High CPU usage when charging (BUG)

All super-thin laptops get a little warm when plugged in. You say the CPU useage is high.. can you use Task Manager to list the programs that are consuming CPU?  It sounds like something (such as a Windows Update or a Virus Scanner) is set to perform a task only when connected to AC.  The fan, itself, doesn't task the CPU.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors