Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aVariationGuy
Paper Tape
Views: 920
Message 1 of 3

Yoga 920 Speakers Still Don't Work Despite All Efforts

I ordered my Yoga 920 from the Lenovo website on January 3rd and it worked fine. After a month of use, out of the blue, the speakers either made weird feedback noises or produced no sound at all. This alternated between restarts. I explained this issue to Lenovo support and the agent recommended me to let the Best Buy Geek Squad repair it under warranty. I saw I had two options, either return the laptop while before 30 days of the invoice date for an exchange or take a chance on the Geek Squad, and boy I made the wrong decision. I decided to let Geek Squad repair my laptop because I thought, "hey, they're professionals and with all their inspections, I'm sure to get a fixed laptop back."

1 month later, I got it back 2/26 with a paper stating the motherboard had to be changed but it passed inspection and it works. I started up my Yoga 920. The OS was wiped so I had to set it up again. Cortana is talking through the speakers which was a very good sign. After setup, I changed my volume to test the sound again, and the speakers were dead silent. Since the past couple days I have been trying to troubleshoot my issue. Windows couldn't be verified or updated. I reset the laptop, setting it up again gave me the option to update Windows, but on every startup there were 3 error messages, the tradeoff for an updated Windows.

Whatever. Updated or not, the speakers were still not working after the first reset. I have tried the Windows troubleshooter and it tried different methods to no avail. I have tried updating the audio drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled the audio drivers, and did a second reset of the Yoga 920. Nothing still works.

Now I'm wondering about Lenovo's return policy. Is this considered an error on Lenovo's part for sending a defective product? I don't want to have to lose 15% for restocking + shipping because I made the wrong decision to not return it right away. You trust people and then you get betrayed. Returning/exchanging is my only option because if the Geek Squad couldn't fix it the first time, I doubt a second time would do any better. I only got to use the Yoga 920 for less than HALF the time I've owned it and it's only going to get worse if it needs constant repair attempts month after month until the warranty expires and it turns into a $1300 coaster.

As a college student, I just want to use this laptop for everything, but I'm limited by this issue. It's really frustrating that I can't use the high-end laptop I bought for its purpose. Every day wasted having to use a terrible replacement laptop adversely affects me.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 894
Message 2 of 3

Re: Yoga 920 Speakers Still Don't Work Despite All Efforts

I could only imagine how you feel at the moment but to make sure if it's serious issue as before or just a speaker issue, could you please try to plug the headphones and post back the results here?

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 891
Message 3 of 3

Re: Yoga 920 Speakers Still Don't Work Despite All Efforts

One other thing to check..

Start some audio playing back. Right click on the speaker icon in the system tray, choose "playback devices" and see if the little meters to the right are bouncing next to any device that's listed. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors