02-05-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 6

Yoga 920 Speakers stopped working

2020-02-05, 16:32 PM

I've read many posts on this topic but no solutions. I've tried every suggestion like most of the people in the forum with no success. Everyone seems to be running into the same issue.Lots of suggestions, no solutions. The headphone jack works fine, the built in speakers just stopped working. Appears to be a common problem. 

Anyone with a solution that isn't going to device manager, updating drivers, changing drives, using troubleshooting, etc etc. None of those suggestions work. 

Options

379 Posts

11-04-2019

PH

115 Signins

4667 Page Views

• Views: 4667
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Yoga 920 Speakers stopped working

2020-02-05, 16:56 PM

Hi ,

Welcome to the Community,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue but trouble shooting a problem would really require tinkering with the drivers under the device manager to isolate if its just a driver or a problem physically. 

Here is one thing you can try doesn't require you to go to device manager, updating drivers, changing drives, and using troubleshooting.

Make sure your speaker is set as the default and right click to do a test as shown below.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes,

Jeremy

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebppl and Twitter!

Options

0 Posts

02-05-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2020-02-06, 13:31 PM

Hi Jeremy:

Thank you for the reply. This is one of the many things I have already tried. I did it again as a matter of course with the same results. The sound bars/meter show that it is generating sound, but nothing from the speakers during the test. I've done all kinds of driver tinkering per the community forum and every suggested test. This apparently is a Yoga issue as this issue has multiple mentions. Speakers suddenly stop working. It is as if the bios isn't recognizing them. Not sure what the solution is, as no one has posted a working solution.

This is very difficult as I do a lot of presentions and sometimes can only do them on my laptop. No speakers is a pain,.

Options

2401 Posts

12-13-2016

US

4902 Signins

49771 Page Views

• Views: 49771
  • Message 4 of 6

2020-02-06, 15:00 PM

Hope you don't mind me jumping in..

When this first started popping up, I tried to replicate the issue on my 920 without success.  can correct me, but I don't think the choice of speaker or wired headphones is logic-controlled. It seems to be physical: you plug in headsets and the connection to the speaker is interrupted. Unplug the headsets and the speaker returns. Windows never senses any changes. Again, I could be wrong and I'd really need to dissect my 920 to be sure or dig up a schematic.

To that end, try this test: Find some wired earbuds and plug them in. See if you get sound THAT way. If my theory is right and you DO hear sound, the issue may lie in the physical jack or its connection to the mobo. Who knows? Unplugging the earbuds just might bring back the speakers. 

All of that said, if the goal is to do presentations, may I recommend outboard speakers? For my work, laptop speakers simply won't do and that's on anybody's laptop. Powered external speakers or Bluetooth speakers are really the way to go for better fidelity if you're trying to impress potential clients. Nothing's worse than having everyone in a conference room leaning in to try to make sense of the sound on a laptop. 

I haven't used it in a really long time, but I carry a Bluetooth receiver that'll jack into just about any sound system that'll take a line input. It's great for conference rooms or convention halls where there's a built-in sound system. I can control levels and muting right from the keyboard.  Just a thought. 

Doc

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Using Browser Search To Find Answers in the Lenovo and Moto Communities
Check out our new Recent Service Tips Area ..your issue may already be solved!
Options

0 Posts

02-05-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2020-02-07, 13:05 PM

Thanks @doctordon. This also was something I had alreaqdy tried, with no success. The jack works, but the speakers don't As for carrying an external speaker, I do this but all my presentations aren't in a big room and a side by side , one-one impromtu doesn't require me pulling out an external speaker. This speaker issue is an irritation as you can imagine and I am not the only one. It must be a lenovo issue and I wish there was a fix to it

I'm getting close to getting rid of my Yoga and moving back to Dell.

Options

1 Posts

04-01-2020

US

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

Re:Yoga 920 Speakers stopped working

2020-04-01, 1:20 AM

I am experiencing this exact issue. While in lockdown in Seattle for COVID-19. Need my speakers for the many ZOOM meetings. Any thoughts? I tried everything listed so far. THANK YOU!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete