Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
javalenti
Paper Tape
Views: 5,292
Message 1 of 5

Yoga 920, Thunderbolt 3 Dock and external monitor

hi, I have setup one of my faculty with a Yoga 920131KB plus Thunderbolt 3 Dock. He has an existing monitor (Samsung Syncmaster P2450) that should support 1920x1080. Seems to be current on all drivers and patches under Win10 EDU version. (Including the CCG4 Firmware Update to v55).

We are using the HDMI output from the dock. If we try to configure extended desktop to the Samsung monitor at 1920x1080, the screen extends off both sides about half an inch. Maybe also a quarter inch over at the top.  As a work-around, set at 1680x1050, video generally works as expected, but the display starts about 2" in from either side.

Generally I don't like using add-on utilities (prefer to just use standard windows built-in options), but somewhere along the line this has the Intel Graphics HD Utility.  I was using that to switch resolution, the Windows settings seemed to track along with changes in the Intel utility, but still overscanned the display.  I played with some other settings in the utility about Display Scale (other than 100%), didn't seem to change anything.

A second problem occurs with this setup: when the laptop is used at home, put to sleep, then plugged into the dock, the screen is displayed on the external monitor at maybe 200% (?).  That is, you only see the central portion of the image.  No fiddling with settings seems to correct it, but rebooting usually fixes it.

The second problem also occurs with a similar Yoga 920 + Dock (different monitors), and a Thinkpad Yoga (don't have the model# handy) + Dock.

Thanks for any leads on fixing these issues!

javalenti
Paper Tape
Views: 5,291
Message 2 of 5

Re: Yoga 920, Thunderbolt 3 Dock and external monitor

Also wanted to mention something I noticed while working on this:

I saved a log from the Intel Utility. There is a section in there about "Maximum Image Size". This seemed to be correct for the laptop display (12.2"x6.69") but the Samsung was listed at 6.3" x 3.54"    It is a 24" diagonal display, so that is obviously wrong, but I don't know that it is important.

Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620

Report Date: Monday, February 5, 2018
Report Time [hh:mm:ss]: 1:21:19 PM
Driver Version: 23.20.16.4849
Operating System: Windows* 10 Education (10.0.16299)
Physical Memory: 16225 MB
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 5917
Device Revision: 07
Graphics Output Protocol (GOP) Version: 9.0.1066
Current Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Display Type: Digital
DDC2 Protocol: Supported
Gamma: 2.2
Connector Type: DisplayPort
Device Type: DisplayPort

Maximum Image Size
Horizontal Size: 6.3 inches
Vertical Size: 3.54 inches

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 5,242
Message 3 of 5

If you're using HDMI, it could be that the Samsung naturally defaults to an overscan mode, as it's expecting television programming and not a computer display. I'm not using your monitor, but I do have one Samsung and several Sony displays that all default to overscan on HDMI inputs unless "told" otherwise.

You'll have to dig through the menus or look at the manual, but you're searching for a setting that gives you a "screen fit" option.

If that fails, ditch the Thunderbolt dock and try a simple Trendnet USB-C to HDMI adapter. Mine works flawlessly on both my 910 and 920.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
javalenti
Paper Tape
Views: 5,152
Message 4 of 5

Thanks Doctordon! That was the problem, and it was called "screen fit" in the Samsung menu. (previously set to 16:9)

I also found another work around was to switch to a VGA cable.

I will do some more research on the second problem I mentioned and report back.
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 5,148
Message 5 of 5

The second problem isn't surprising. A computer put to sleep retains.. well, everything from the state it was in prior to being put to sleep. Plugging in ANYthing while it's sleeping will give mixed results when it wakes as the actual state is different than the one it's restoring. Let it wake up (about 30 seconds), THEN plug in the adapter.

Another thing you can do, is to select "external display only" from the F10 menu. I have a 910 that remains connected to an HDTV most of the time. It's set to "external display only" And it wakes up mostly okay. Text size on the TV is quite a bit larger, but not enough for me to look into changing it.  If I disconnect the HDTV while the 910 is sleeping, then I have to blindly use F10 and arrow keys to get the laptop screen back and then the text size is ridicously huge.  Nothing a reboot doesn't solve.

Sounds like a dumb solution, but as fast as these things boot, why bother using sleep at all?

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors