Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NjopOlsson
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,938
Message 1 of 26

Yoga 920 USB-C ports stopped working suddenly

Yesterday evening, the USB-C ports of my Lenovo Yoga 920 stopped working suddenly. While working with the computer, the connected external monitor and the laptop screen both went dark and I couldn't revive them by disconnecting/reconnecting any cables or by pressing any keys on the laptop. In the end, I had to force a hard restart of the Yoga 920 by pressing the power button on the right.

After rebooting the laptop, I noticed that it completely failed to communicate with any devices connected to the USB-C port, including my external monitor, keyboard, mouse and Ethernet network. First suspecting an issue with the connected USB-C hub (Kensington USB-C Universal Dock 60W (SD4600P)), I performed a full power recycle, including detaching/attaching cables, of all involved components. This had no result.

I noticed then in the Windows 10 Device Manager (devmgmt.msc), that the USB device "UCSI USB Connector Manager" was marked as not working (yellow exclamation mark). The status of the device was:

This device cannot start. (Code 10) STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE

Disabling/removing/reinstalling this device in Windows 10 had no effect on the issue.

Then I noticed that the laptop didn't charge while connected to the power supply from Lenovo, which was delivered with the laptop. There are two USB-C ports on the left side of the laptop. The one towards the back is marked as the one to use for charging. It didn't work any more.

I had to connect the USB-C cable from the power supply to the USB-C port towards the front to make charging work at all. This also applies when the computer is completely shut down (no sleep/hibernation mode). I can see that the white charge light on the Yoga 920, next to the USB-C ports, doesn't turn on when the back USB-C port is connected. It does turn on when the fron port is connected however.

Unless someone has some other suggestions, this indicates to me that this is a hardware issue on the Lenovo Yoga 920.

No BIOS/driver/OS updates were installed during the past week. In November (a few weeks back), I did install all of the latest BIOS/driver/software updates from Lenovo for Yoga 920 using the Lenovo Companion application. Performing a recheck in Lenovo Companion of available updates after the issue occurred produced nothing new to install.

Any other tips or tricks that you would recommend, other than returning the laptop to Lenovo for repairs?

Does the Novo key/button exist on the Yoga 920, allowing me to access BIOS settings?

hap1marr
Paper Tape
Views: 8,861
Message 2 of 26

Re: Yoga 920 USB-C ports stopped working suddenly

You'd really expect Lenovo to have their folks reading the community pages for new devices like the 920. They used to be great at providing solutions. 

Guru
Views: 8,846
Message 3 of 26

Well, I'll give it a shot. It's not the first time I've seen a dock installation wreck things, but can't be sure that's it.

Some things to try, in order of easiest-to-most time consuming:

• FIRST: Backup everything. Always the first step.
  • Use System Restore to roll the computer back to before the dock install.
  • Manually uninstall the dock and its drivers. Use Device Manager to uninstall the whole USB tree. On a reboot, Windows should see it and reinstall the drivers. 
  • Use OneKey to roll the whole computer back to out-of-the-box condition. Let Windows do all its updates before applying Lenovo updates. 

That's all the easy things I can think of at the moment.. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 8,841
Message 4 of 26

It sounds like a hardware (port) problem to me.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Joacos
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,748
Message 5 of 26

It has been a nightmare to connect yoga 920 to the monitor (hdmi) to work, after a magical update it started working until yesterday. When I see that the battery was low I connect it and it did not charge. In device performance & health came the warning "one or more device drivers may not be working properly ... Run the troubleshooting ... UCSI USB connector manager has a driver problem ... Troubleshooting could not identify the problem. I tried to update the driver and the following message came out ... this device can not start (code 10) status_device_power_failure.  As expected, the battery ran out ... What can I do, any suggestions?

NjopOlsson
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,724
Message 6 of 26

I can give you an update on the status of my Lenovo Yoga 920 which initiated this thread. I contacted Lenovo support the day after making the post and they asked me to take the following actions:

• Reset the computer operating system to the status it was in on delivery from Lenovo, doing a full system wipe of both the existing Windows 10 OS and all user files on the local hard disk.
  • Update the BIOS to the latest version.

I first did the full system recovery (factory reset essentially), using the Novo key and the system menu it produces. Then I attempted to update to the latest BIOS version using the executable from the link that Lenovo support provided. However, I already had the latest BIOS version so no action could be taken.

I also had a look in the BIOS settings of the Yoga 920 and couldn't really find any options that might have an effect on the USB-C ports with regards to my problem.

Since these actions had no positive effect, Lenovo support sent me a shipping label for the laptop, returning it to their service center for repairs. That is where it is currently. Their expected repair time is supposed to be no more than 14 calendar days.

My recommendation, if you are experiencing the same issues as those reported by me in this thread, is to contact Lenovo support and send in the laptop for repairs, after taking the actions they request in terms of system recovery and BIOS updates.

If there are more customers experiencing this same exact issue, we might be looking at a product quality issue with the USB-C ports on the Yoga 920.

NjopOlsson
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,574
Message 7 of 26

Resolution to the original issue reported by me in this thread:

As reported previously, I sent the Lenovo Yoga 920 to Lenovo for repairs after taking the requested actions on my side (full system reset, BIOS update). After about two weeks in repairs and in transit, the laptop was returned to me. Lenovo Support reported that they had replaced the motherboard.

When testing the repaired laptop, the USB-C ports now work as expected again: Peripherals can be connected to them and you can charge the laptop using the rear port. The issue was therefore a hardware issue, not related to BIOS version nor to any faulty drivers on the Yoga 920.

svrndmngjr
Serial Port
Views: 8,165
Message 8 of 26

Hmm I seem to be in the same situation, however, the back usb-c is the one with charging capabilities, while the one on the front cannot be used for charging. The hub I use cannot be recognized on the back port anymore, but the front port can recognize it but i keep getting a warning that connection may be limited or something along those lines. I also get that error in the device manager and the windows troubleshoot is of no help. Sad part is that I bought this in the US and I don't think this device is available here in my country... Smiley Sad

svrndmngjr
Serial Port
Views: 8,160
Message 9 of 26

By any chance, did you try to use the hardware scan from the Lenovo Vantage app? I'm getting a similar issue and found the same error in the device manager on the same device. However, the hardware scan test result all showed that there is nothing wrong with the motherboard.

Highlighted
NjopOlsson
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,155
Message 10 of 26

No, I didn't try using the Lenovo Vantage app to troubleshoot the issue. I wouldn't trust the hardware scan results if you are seeing the same behaviour as I saw as it was clearly a hardware failure on the motherboard.

Even if you bought it in the US, you should be able to get international support for the laptop. Contact Lenovo Support and provide your Lenovo device id to investigate warranties and support options. If you have the same hardware failure as I did, I don't see any other option than having Lenovo repair the unit.

Top Kudoed Authors