11-11-2017

JP

6 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 11 of 269

Re: Yoga 920 USB C to HDMI not working

2017-11-22, 13:41 PM

I tried to uninstall the lenovo's official display driver completely and install general intel UHD 620 driver.

After install intel driver, I opened "device manager" and run display driver update.

Now, my YOGA 920 display driver version is 22.20.16.4708 with intel corporation, USB-C to HDMI is correctly working.

(Lenovo travel dock and AUKEY USB-C Hub)

1.PC turn off.

2.Connect Hub with display

3.PC turn on.

If YOGA 920 go to sleep or shutdown, it worked correctly then wake-up

however PnP USB-C Hub with powered on YOGA 920 cannot work correctly.

Options

2705 Posts

12-13-2016

US

5076 Signins

53341 Page Views

• Views: 53341
  • Message 12 of 269

2017-11-22, 14:19 PM

That sounds about right if you left the USB-C to HDMI device connected to the display. If you disconnect the display, then wake the PC up, then reconnect the display, it should work. You have a newer display, I'll bet. And when it can no longer handshake with the USB-C to HDMI device, it shuts off the port until you go through your procedure, again. I'd also bet if you connected it to a 10-year-old Vizio, it'd work every time. Those older Vizio's aren't as picky with HDMI as newer displays are.

Two things to remember for anyone else reading the thread:

1. All USB-C dongles are not created equal. We're in the early period for USB-C devices. It's as it was with the early USB-1 devices. Some work on every computer, some don't. IMHO, manufacturers only test their dongles with a Mac. If that works, out the door they go. 
  2. HDMI handshaking is an issue. Display makers don't want Hollywood copyright lawyers in their faces, so those displays are designed to look for content sources (Blu-Ray players, Cable STBs) they can establish a secure, verified connection with. Display manufacturers are not concerned with guaranteeing displays will consider computers "secure." In fact, a number of displays won't connect properly with audio-visual receivers because having a go-between in the HDMI stream was never a consideration. That means it's up to dongle makers to produce something display HDMI circuits are happy with. They're not there, yet.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Using Browser Search To Find Answers in the Lenovo and Moto Communities
Check out our new Recent Service Tips Area ..your issue may already be solved!
Options

6 Posts

11-23-2017

US

14 Signins

71 Page Views

• Views: 71
  • Message 13 of 269

2017-11-23, 1:54 AM

I have 3 usb-c to hdmi adapters from different manufacturers (apple, Anker, and Lenovo).  All work on my MacBook Pro, none work consistently on the Yoga 920.  How would this be an issue of the display and ‘handshaking’?  What is the solution that Lenovo proposes?

Options

2705 Posts

12-13-2016

US

5076 Signins

53341 Page Views

• Message 14 of 269

2017-11-23, 3:34 AM

Easy: 2 different computers. Use the Trendnet. It’s a known working device with the 910 and probably the 920. 

Options

6 Posts

11-23-2017

US

14 Signins

71 Page Views

• Message 15 of 269

2017-11-23, 17:45 PM

Ok, I'll order and try then report back. Buying a $1300 laptop from Lenovo and not having the first party peripherals work is not a good consumer experience and not reliable for business use in the slightest.  Good thing I have a 45 day return window w/ BestBuy...

Options

2705 Posts

12-13-2016

US

5076 Signins

53341 Page Views

• Message 16 of 269

2017-11-23, 19:00 PM

Such is life with new tech. In the early days of USB ports, some peripherals worked with some brands of computers, but not others. FireWire, too. Even HDMI was a headache. Still is. 

I blame peripheral manufacturers. The design and test phase wrapped up before the 910 and 920 came out. So, all they had to test with was a Mac. Which is why it all works with Macs but not PCs. In a lot of cases, the gizmo you buy today was designed 2-3 years ago. 

Options

6 Posts

11-23-2017

US

14 Signins

71 Page Views

• Message 17 of 269

2017-11-23, 19:46 PM

Why would you blame the peripheral manufacturers?  They are building to a standard, and those peripherals were out (tons of them) before the 920 which just came out a few weeks ago.  It is up to LENOVO to adhere to the standard and ensure the product they are releasing works with the peripherals that are widely available.  At the VERY least it should work with the peripheral that they themselves already manufacture and sell.  The whole point of a standard specification is that you build to the standard and don't have to test with every available combination of products.

All I am asking for is ONE, just ONE, usb-c to hdmi solution that works.  If LENOVO could not figure out one solution before shipping the laptop then they need to delay it or add in an HDMI port.  USB-C has been around for over 3 years now, it is not early days, and LENOVO has been putting it on their laptops for more than a generation now.

Even the adapter you said 'works' from trendnet, the poster said it only works 'sometimes' and 'intermitently'.

I have ordered the straight usb-c to hdmi adapter from LENOVO and 4 others, they will be here this weekend, that will bring my sample size up to 7 different adpters using 3 different known good HDMI cables.  If none of them work the laptop is useless for my business purposes and is going back.  Sad.

Options

14 Posts

11-01-2017

US

26 Signins

130 Page Views

• Views: 130
  • Message 18 of 269

2017-11-23, 19:55 PM

Trandnet so far the most reliable, consistently works if you connect everything, on the tv and start laptop. Don't know if it works from.sleep or not.

I feel the issue is with 920, not the cable. Sams cable works in all combinations with the same TV.

Options

14 Posts

11-01-2017

US

26 Signins

130 Page Views

• Views: 130
  • Message 19 of 269

2017-11-23, 19:57 PM

I meant to say same cable works with a macbook in all combinations with the same TV

Options

2705 Posts

12-13-2016

US

5076 Signins

53341 Page Views

• Message 20 of 269

2017-11-23, 20:08 PM

Maybe "blame" isn't the right word. But neither the peripheral makers nor the computer makers had access to each others product for the testing phase of the product design. It's as if you're designing a car without ever seeing a road and the people designing roads don't have a car to test it with. In a few years, it'll settle out. But, as I've said, we've seen this with every new connection technology that's come along.

As for the intermettent performance of the Trendnet, I explained that. HDMI is finicky with different television sets. This could be the cause of the intermittent operation. I have the Trendnet. I have no issues so long as I plug it into the booted-up computer for 8-10 seconds before plugging it into the television. Do it in reverse and it'll work on my 6-year-old Vizio but not on my new Samsung. The Samsung balks and shuts off the port.  That might get fixed in a firmware update for the TV.  Until then, Computer first, then TV. That will always handshake properly.. 

Trust me. Home Theater owners run into the same situation. One Blu-Ray player has to be powered up before the TV. Another one doesn't. The same AVR has issues with one brand of TV and not the other. If you want to have lots of fun with HDMI handshaking, try a cable box through an AVR to a 4k television. AVSForum is full of those problems that sound just like these.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete