US

3 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 1 of 2

Yoga 920 - Unable to Disable Intelligent Cooling to Prevent Throttling

2020-01-28, 18:09 PM

Hello, friends!

I have been working on this Throttling problem for a while now, and I thought I might reach out to the community to see if anyone has had any success.

I have the Yoga 920-13IKB Laptop (ideapad) and run encoding projects on the regular.  Unfortunately, the system will always throttle the processor frequency (speed) down when I leave the machine (and stop actively working with it).  Based upon other reports, I don't believe I am alone with this experience.  I've heard the CPU frequency can cut down as far as 1/4 of the rated speed (in my case 500 MHz of the 2.0 GHz of my i7-8550U), and this seems consistent with my results and the slowdown of my processes.

I have had no luck tweaking any of the Windows 10 performance settings to make any change to this situation (including thread assignments via the affinity selection in the process manager, changing the Power Modes, etc.).

There are a couple of areas beyond the typical Windows 10 settings that I wanted to explore further.  The first is the Lenovo Vantage application.  I find that you have to download this via the Microsoft Store now (as it doesn't appear to be available any longer on the Lenovo website).  There was a setting called "Intelligent Cooling" that does not appear in the latest version of the application.  I've also heard this setting may have been platform (model) dependent, and I've not been able to confirm if the Yoga 920 should have that setting.  Assuming this platform is supported, I understand that, by disabling Intelligent Cooling, this could prevent the processor from throttling to a lower speed and require the fans to spin-up to accommodate (which would be fine in my scenario of overnight processing).

The second area is the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework (DPTF) which this system supports.  Per a 2015 article on the Intel website:

Intel DPTF is a power and thermal management solution for device and chassis temperature and managing power delivery. Often the key to extended life is lower power usage, limited power means lower operating frequencies.

I do have the latest drivers for this subsystem (which I understand to be a combination of on-board hardware and software).  Of note, Intel cites the ability to disable DPTF as something the OEM (Lenovo in this case) would need to offer.

If the OEM’s design team included the option to disable Intel DPTF, consumers can disable it, but doing so will sacrifice battery life. Disabling Intel DPTF requires the consumer to enter the configuration section of their device’s BIOS.

Ultimately, I don't know if "Intelligent Cooling" and Intel DPTF are one-in-the-same.  In any case, I don't see a way to disable this.  There are no BIOS settings relating to anything along these lines.  (I looked for anything relating to cooling, "SpeedStep," "DPTF," and the like.)

I've got a lot of horsepower built into this notebook computer.  While I understand that cooling is the achilies heel in all notebook computers, there are a number of methods to address the issue (not limited to better design).  For example, Apple is known for slowing the processor frequency over the out-of-box processor specification to reduce thermals on MacBook Pro.  Reducing power or speeding up the fans are other options.  Generally, OEM's do not leave a lot of this to the consumer to manage, but there should be a work-around to address.

I would appreciate insight from anyone.  Thanks!

- Dave

Options

1 Posts

04-24-2019

US

3 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Yoga 920 - Unable to Prevent CPU Throttling

2020-02-07, 16:36 PM

Just a follow-up to my original post.  While I did find the method to disable the Intelligent Cooling feature of Lenovo Vantage, the throttling still takes place.  It seems that it starts to happen as soon as the display is shut off (per the power settings).

I have created a separate power plan for running my video encoding processes.  With this plan, the system is set to never sleep and the display is set to shut off in 10 minutes.   With the Intelligent Cooling feature disabled, the system fans in the unit spin up immediately upon beginning the process (which is desirable), and the CPU frequency operates well above the base rate (exactly what we want to see).

As soon as the display signal shuts off, this, apparently, signals the OS to throttle the processor frequency down to a fraction of the full performance.  I'm guessing this is a "feature" of power management, but, again, I have no idea how to disable this (if it can be done at all).

I attempted a work-around of setting the display to never shut off.  (I, simply, shut off my external monitor at that point.)  Believe it or not, the processes completed within the appropriately estimated runtime (the ultimate goal)!  This seems to prove my prior hypothesis.

Any input would be appreicated!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save