Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
econhero
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,251
Message 1 of 3

Yoga 920 Wifi Adapter Causing Laptop to Freeze

I have a fairly new Yoga 920 I purchased back in November, 2017. Yesterday morning, when I was trying to start it from a shutdown, it got stuck on the splash screen. After several tries and getting stuck at the same splash screen, I tried a CHKDSK, which didnt's find any errors on the disk. Then I tried booting in Safe Mode, which worked with no problems. Since it boots fine into Safe Mode and but  not in normal start, I thought this was a driver issue. So, I started disabling components from the device manager, one by one, to see what driver was causing the issue. Qualcom WLAN Driver was the reason. I could boot in windows per usual after disabling the wifi adapter from the device manager. So, I decided to reinstall the driver after uninstalling the old one, but as soon as the driver starts installing laptop froze again. No BSOD or restart. Just frozen image on the screen, no response after waiting 5-10 mins. I actually had to disable wifi from bios to be able to use the laptop again with ethernet adapter I have. I am guessing this is a hardware related issue, so I ordered an intel 8260 ac adapter to see if that fixes my problem. Any ideas on what kind of issue there might be with the Qualcom adapter?

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,216
Message 2 of 3

Re: Yoga 920 Wifi Adapter Causing Laptop to Freeze

It could be related to Windows automatic update. Have you tried to remove the drivers from Safe mode and re-install it again?

If the problem is related to hardware, it's probably power management issue

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
econhero
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,197
Message 3 of 3

Re: Yoga 920 Wifi Adapter Causing Laptop to Freeze

A follow up on my issues: Intel 8260 AC adapter arrived today and installation took about 5 mins. I reactivated WLAN from BIOS and viola! Everything is back to normal now. Hope this helps someone who might suffer from a similar issue. If you don't want to wait for warranty repair, it's a fix that will cost you $20 and 5 mins of your life. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors