01-31-2018

US

12 Signins

76 Page Views

• Views: 76
  • Message 61 of 97

Re: Yoga 920 and Thunderbolt Dock

2018-02-21, 4:29 AM
Looking at this more, it's almost as if the Alt mode is taking over all of the High speed links and not allowing one link to be USB3 and the other link to be HDMI. This would explain why I am not getting any USB devices connected to the Plugable box. I dropped my resolution to 1080p and still nothing.
Options

1 Posts

02-21-2018

CA

2 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 62 of 97

2018-02-21, 6:19 AM

I've got the Yoga 920 13IKB as well as the TP TB dock. Most everything is working except my Logitech dongle has a bit of a 'delay' occasionally when using the mouse. More concerningly is that, as another poster noted, it doesn't really seem to charge consistently. Win 10 will say 'plugged in, charging' but the battery will continue to drain.

Curious if there's any known solution to these issues? All drivers/firmware are up to date as far as I can tell. I'm 2 days away from the 30 day return window for the dock, and need to make a return call fairly quickly.

Options

62 Posts

02-02-2018

US

404 Signins

1517 Page Views

• Views: 1517
  • Message 63 of 97

2018-02-22, 22:27 PM

Thought I would join the crowd.:smileywink:

The first 920 was working ok with a Plugable Thunderbolt dock for a while, then all kinds of troubles started to develop. Things turned from bad to worse, even after disconnecting the dock.

Got a second 920 a few days ago, and the Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Dock today. 2 x external monitors + ethernet + usb hard drive and it charges fine. Worked fine for a few hours then refused to come back up. Starting with power button had not effect. It was just dead. Had to search for medicine to bring it to life, and it did.

This 920 is like a high price call girl. A beauty to look at, but quite moody.

Options

7 Posts

01-31-2018

US

12 Signins

76 Page Views

• Views: 76
  • Message 64 of 97

2018-02-22, 22:33 PM

I agree.  While I have the a single HDMI montor working flawlessley on the plugable and the DP working on the lenovo, and USB1/2 working kind of okay on both, USB3 and the network is totally screwed.  Plugable is working with me, we found that I did not have the latest BIOS nor latest PD and thunderbolt drivers but that did not solve my USB issues.  To me it looks like they(lenovo) is using both USB_C Highspeed links for video instead of just one for video and one for USB3 in my case (But this is my opinion). I will keep you posted as I progress with the plugable path as the Lenovo path seems uselessly stalled...

Options

62 Posts

02-02-2018

US

404 Signins

1517 Page Views

• Message 65 of 97

2018-02-23, 9:46 AM

I wanted to use this 920 as a primary computer to replace both my aging desktop & laptop. So, I wish to seek answers for several nagging questions from the folks who have been using, or had the knowledge, the 'Lenovo Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 Dock - 40AC0135US':
1> What settings are needed ? I want to close the laptop's screen for using only external monitors & BT keyboard & BT mouse.
2> What settings are needed ? with the dock connected, one or more screens would stay on although my current settings in 'power & sleep' showed 'off'.
3> Have you had the 920 locked up after it went to sleep with the dock connected ? If you do, how do you prevent it from happening ?
Thanks for all info's and advises.
4> On a side note, I wish to know if anybody had tried the OWC dock ? It is expensive but with its reputation, perhaps it would be a good investment.

@Douglas_Adams,
As for the 'ethernet', what did you see in the 'network & internet' --> 'change adapter' settings? There should be 3 icons, BT + Ethernet + WiFi. If the middle icon is gone, then no ethernet, which happened to me when I tried the Plugable hub.
At the time, I did not know whether culprit was the Plugable or the 920. Hence I gave up on both. With more inputs from users, yourself included, the Thuderbolt drivers from Lenovo perhaps would need be more mature, such as with Apple Macbooks. I would ask Plugable to send an usb-3 dock (not their usb-c) for testing. Amazon reviewers gave more good feedbacks on the usb-3 docks. Good luck to you and hope that you won't give up too soon.

Best,

P.S. The Ethernet disappeared with this new Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Dock, just as it did with the previous 920 and usb-c Plugable dock. I had no choice which to switch to the Qualcomm Atheros WiFi with slower speed and inconsistency. Then, by miracle and good luck, I went to the Qualcomm properties and messed around. By setting the "roaming aggressiveness" to lowest in Device Manger Roaming aggressiveness. The default setting was Medium. The WiFi strength immediately jumped to max and seemed to be consistent. Then, after reboot, the Ethernet returned. How about that :smileylol:

Options

17 Posts

06-12-2018

US

48 Signins

345 Page Views

• Views: 345
  • Message 66 of 97

2018-06-12, 17:37 PM

I am in an interesting conundrum my self. Felt adventurous I guess and went out and bought the Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock (G0A1). I am attempting to connect it with the 920 as well with no success, at least using the documented and approved steps. Does anybody here have any experince or knowledge how to get this puppy to work with the laptop?

Options

62 Posts

02-02-2018

US

404 Signins

1517 Page Views

• Message 67 of 97

2018-06-12, 17:57 PM

@gs20,

I'm interested in the Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock (G0A1) as well, and did some reading. According to users' reviews at Amazon, and some here in this very Lenovo forum, the Graphics Dock does work with Yoga 920. If I'm not mistaken, the Dock driver needs be installed first, then reboot, then connect the Dock last.

I don't have the Dock yet, so you may want to, unless you already did, read up users' reviews.

Let us know how it workes out for you,

Cheers,

Options

17 Posts

06-12-2018

US

48 Signins

345 Page Views

• Message 68 of 97

2018-06-12, 18:04 PM
These are the steps I did :( no go though. Cannot be recognized. I also tried to update the dock firmware using the utility but this also failed (obviously since it could not be recognized). Off course lenovo support they "washed their hands" and claimed no official support. Hoping I run into a successful trickery around here.
Options

17 Posts

06-12-2018

US

48 Signins

345 Page Views

• Message 69 of 97

2018-06-13, 0:06 AM

After some more playing around I managed something but still not there.

I tried uninstalling and installing thunderbolt drivers a few times. After some reboots it eventually recognized it as a thunderbold device.

I tried to run the firmware updater UpdateTBTFW.CMD and this was not recognizing it. Lookin at the script code I noticed that it searches for device "devcon64 find = *VEN_8086^&DEV_15D9*". However the yoga 920 Thunderbold 3 port reads DEV_15D2 instead of so DEV_15D9 so it would never work. I changed the script to search for DEV_15D2 and it progressed. However it had another error later "0x215 SDK_PORT_COUNT_MISMATCH - Firmware image file is not compatible with controller post count ".  Scrapped the firmware update and went forward anyway.

Then I tried installing the lenovo dock driver. After the reboot I got video eventually only on the hdmi monitor though and not the laptop screen. Additionally the display driver that shows now is not nvidia but "Microsoft Basic Display adapter" in device manager. So it displays something but since its not seen as nvidia its not loading the right driver and hence no acceleration. I started watching some youtube videos and there is some frame flickering and refresh so definatelly no accelation.

Still no go but almost there. I am not sure why the firmware updater is looking for thunderbolt DEV_15D9 ony. What is the difference with the yoga 920 DEV_15D2. is it important ...???? I wonder

Options

1 Posts

07-07-2018

GB

1 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 70 of 97

2018-07-07, 10:49 AM

Hi,  have you had any issues or is everything still working ok? I am trying to decide whether to spend £250 on the Thinkpad Thunderbolt dock or save £100 and get the Dell Universal D6000 usb-c dock that their website (and forums) say works fine with the Yoga920?

(ps I can't believe how hard it is to get a support answer from Lenovo on whether 2 of their products work - I have tried everything - chat (no clue), email (no reply), service ticket (no answer))

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete