Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dengee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 22,153
Message 1 of 79

Yoga 920 and Thunderbolt Dock

I want to buy the Lenovo Yoga 920 (i7 with 16 GB) and I‘m used to work with 3 external full HD Monitors. Since it has 2 Thunderbolt ports, it looks like the Thunderbolt 3 Dock may work with the 920. However, it is not listed on the compability list for the dock.

Therefore: are the dock and the 920 working together?

chx
Token Ring
Views: 21,819
Message 2 of 79

Re: Yoga 920 and Thunderbolt Dock

Sure it will however if your needs are only three full HD monitors then you could get what you want for half by buying an USB C to triple DisplayPort MST hub.

hap1marr
Paper Tape
Views: 21,771
Message 3 of 79

Because the 920 has a new chip set, there is not a single hub or docking station that will support 3 monitors. At least today. Good luck. Might be better to wait for the peri[herals of 8th gen to be supported before buying the 920

hap1marr
Paper Tape
Views: 21,770
Message 4 of 79

I returned the Tb3 dock and 920 because they are not compatible. at least today
Dengee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 21,747
Message 5 of 79

Okay, that's really stupid. Especially because it is explicitly mentioned on the page, that you can connect something like that and the specs (except of the CPU) are very similar to the Carbon X1...

Currently I'm using a hub with display link for my Yoga 2 Pro and this is working... Since this is sometimes unhandy and it has some display-issues when the overall load of the USB-Dock is too high (showing some fragements on the displays etc.), a new solution with higher speed etc. would be nice. But I think it would be a possible solution until there is something better or the TB 3 Dock is working...

jetshine
Paper Tape
Views: 21,701
Message 6 of 79

I have a brand new Yoga 920 and I tried using it with my existing Dell TB16 Thunderbolt 3 docking station.  Some good news - the laptop is capable of driving two 4K screens... BUT... I cannot get it to work reliably.  Sometimes when I plug in the docking station, everything works except charging.  Other times, I plug it in and it just charges the laptop (i.e. power delivery) with no other docking station devices detected.  I have no idea if the official Lenovo TB3 docking station works any better, but I'm a bit disappointed that the one I already owned doesn't work :-(

Dengee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 21,583
Message 7 of 79

It seems that the 920 has only Thunderbolt, but not Thunderbolt 3.

Although the text under features says "The Yoga 920 comes equipped with two Thunderbolt™ 3 USB-C ports", the tech specs below says only: "2 x USB C (Thunderbolt, PowerDelivery & DisplayPort)

" for "I/O (Input / Output) Ports".

Furthermore, the platform specs under YOGA_920_specs.pdf just lists "USB 3.1 x 2 (Type C, support Thunderbolt, DC-in function)"

So - am I right that the text under features is wrong!?

jetshine
Paper Tape
Views: 21,555
Message 8 of 79

Dengee, it's definintely Thunderbolt 3, see screenshot below from the Thunderbolt utility (taken on a 920). 

My next frustration however - I decided to plunk down 250 bucks to try the official Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 docking station - part # 40AC0135US.  Again, there's good news and bad news - it *does* properly work with the Yoga 920, i.e. it will both charge the laptop and drive two 4K displays, even though no one at Lenovo would confirm or deny its compatibility.  HOWEVER, it can't drive both 4K displays at 60Hz using display port connections.  To get 2x 4K @ 60Hz, display #1 has to be connected via DisplayPort, while display #2 has to be connected via TB3-to-DisplayPort cable.  Another bloody adapter/cable to buy.

I checked the user manual - available here: https://support.lenovo.com/ma/en/solutions/acc100356

- and it does indeed confirm that via the built-in displayport/HDMI connections, dual 4K displays can only go up to 30 Hz.  To get 60Hz, you need one to be connected via TB3-to-displayport cable.

2017-11-09.png

hap1marr
Paper Tape
Views: 21,544
Message 9 of 79

How frustrating that day of trying to make it work was. 2 hours on the phone with Lenovo, 4 times, and two hours on the phone with the think-people. For dock support, lenovo sends you to the old ibm folks. The could do nothing but tell me i had it plugged in correctly. i never saw a screen like yours (jetshine) below so i'm guessing i either had a bad dock or a bad machine. the hub was a no-go for me because i also need ethernet. i really am jealous yours works. i kind of question the 920 documentation re 4 lanes of thunderbolt 3. if its only hitting 30Hz, sounds like it's two lanes.  Congrat's on getting it to work.  Please post back in a few weeks to let us know if the cables got you going. thanks for your input.

jetshine
Paper Tape
Views: 21,425
Message 10 of 79

Good news finally, the Dell D6000 Universal Dock works great with the Yoga 920.  4K on both external displays @ 60Hz and it charges the laptop too.  Roughly $200 through Amazon.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors