Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dengee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,614
Message 11 of 91

Re: Yoga 920 and Thunderbolt Dock

Okay, as long as it is really TB 3 and it's working like it is described in the user guide for the thunderbolt 3 dock (e.g. that you need certain connectors/cables for different monitor-setups), it would be ok for me. My goal is to get three external HD monitors to work at 1920 x 1080 px via the dock... 

BTW: Isn't the Dell Universal Dock only an USB C dock, which does not use Thunderbolt (3) and uses DisplayLink-Technology instead?!

However, it would be nice, if there would be some "official" feedback from the Lenovo staff...

shak19
Paper Tape
Views: 5,587
Message 12 of 91

I bought the Yoga 920 and the Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 just a couple of days ago. I can run a second Monitor and charge the Yoga but other USB-Devices won't work. Can you actually charge, run several Monitors and use other USB-Devices like mouse and keyboard? If so what did you do to make it work?
jetshine
Paper Tape
Views: 5,578
Message 13 of 91

Dengee: yes the D6000 is USB-C and uses Displaylink. I was about to say that I don't really care if the dock uses Displaylink or TB3, but then I did some digging to see what is the difference. Almost immediately the complaint I found is that Displaylink is more CPU intensive than TB3, and can result in lag. I did a quick test with the D6000, playing a YouTube video full screen on one of the monitors connected via the dock, and I *did* notice lag on the video compared to playing it on the laptop's built-in screen.

I haven't returned the Lenovo ThinkPad TB3 dock yet, so I guess I'll test it again to compare video/audio lag.. and also see if I notice a difference in CPU/GPU usage.

shak19: the only thing special I did was to make sure I installed the TB3 drivers before connecting the dock. There's a driver that gets installed for the USB 3.1 root hub, so I'd make sure you don't have anything showing up in device manager missing drivers. I only had a USB keyboard hooked up to the TB3 dock, but it did work.
shak19
Paper Tape
Views: 5,569
Message 14 of 91

Interesting, I don't have any missing drivers in the device manager. There's a Intel(R) USB 3.1 eXtensible-Hostcontroller - 1.10 (Microsoft) listed in the device manager when I'm connected to the TB3 dock but it won't find a new driver version for this. I'm seriously confused by this. I can connect a second monitor and it charges my Yoga but other USB-devices connected to the dock won't work.

What software have you installed to check your Thunderbolt version?
hap1marr
Paper Tape
Views: 5,547
Message 15 of 91

There is "official" feedback from Lenovo. They state "NO dock" is supported for Lenovo Yoga 920.

shak19
Paper Tape
Views: 5,528
Message 16 of 91

Thats pretty weak for a product in this price range.
chx
Token Ring
Views: 5,524
Message 17 of 91

That's going to be some epic miscommunication, sure the Basic/Pro/Ultra Dock is not supported because there's no docking connector.

jetshine
Paper Tape
Views: 5,381
Message 18 of 91

I got around to comparing the Dell D6000 dock and the Thinkpad TB3 dock, connected to a Yoga 920.  To compare performance, I played a video from YouTube full-screen on one of my pair of LG 27UDP69P UHD monitors connected to the dock.  While playing, I used the "Stats for nerds" feature to show frame rate.

• D6000 dock: there is noticable lag in the video, about 0.1 - 0.2 seconds behind audio.  Stats show 10-15% frames dropped.  Runs better if the video is windowed down to smaller size.
  • Thinkpad TB3 dock:  Runs full-screen fine.  Negligible frame drops (1 or 2), audio and video synced.  Clearly, TB3 is the way to go for any video or 3D-intensive work with 4K displays.

While video playback was superior with the Thinkpad dock, the dock itself has issues.  To get dual 4K @ 60Hz, you have to connect one monitor via DisplayPort and the second monitor via a TB3-to-Displayport adapter cable.  Wired up this way, I randomly get one or both monitors going blank for 2-3 seconds.  No other reports of this happening yet to other people with this particular dock/laptop, but earlier Lenovo docks seemed to have this problem that was fixed with driver updates.  Being the Yoga 920 is brand new, there were no newer drivers to try, and the dock already has the latest firmware installed.  

I've already invested too many hours into this dock debacle, so I'm giving up and sending the Thinkpad TB3 dock back.  It's not even officially supported for the 920 according to Lenovo, so I have little hope in them fixing anything.

I'm not sure why TB3 is such a hot mess! I had similar difficulties with my older computer, a Dell XPS 13 and the Dell TB16 dock.

damianp67
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,326
Message 19 of 91

Works great with my for Mac version of the OWC Thurnderbolt 3 Dock using USB C. 

Driving an Dell 3415W, Mac keyboard, ethernet, and all USB devices with no issues after the thunderbolt driver was installed.

The only issue, the power supply is a little light and will not charge if you running something very intensive.

https://www.owcdigital.com/products/thunderbolt-3-dock

MBABA
Paper Tape
Views: 5,309
Message 20 of 91

Howdy Jetshine,

I'm also trying to run dual 4k monitors off the Yoga 920. I've had no luck with 2 USB-C docking stations that I've tried so far. If you find something that works, please share!

Mike

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors