Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tt2tt2
Paper Tape
Views: 1,960
Message 1 of 11

Yoga 920 battery drain after shutdown

I got my yoga 920 two months ago. Everything looks fine expect recent battery drain after shutdown. I shut down my laptop and after overnight I turn it on, it only shows 89% for most time and on time only 64%. I tried a lot of ways suggested online, such as turning off "always on usb", battery reset, changing settings in Intel Energy Management. But problem continues. Does anyone have any idea?

tt2tt2
Paper Tape
Views: 1,930
Message 2 of 11

Re: Yoga 920 battery drain after shutdown

I wonder whether it possible to have a battery leakage? Because I could feel somehow warm at the bottom before I turn it on.

dosher
Punch Card
Views: 1,825
Message 3 of 11

I also had a problem with battery drain on my 920.  This would occur whilst it was shut down and also during hibernation.  Took me a long time to trace as there seem to be a lot of potential solutions out there.

Firstly, check that you have the Lenovo Vantage app installed as I used this to reinstall one of the components that was removed during the fix.

These are the procedures that fixed it for me:

In Control Panel (Small icons) > Programs and Features…  uninstall Intel Management Engine Components.

In Control Panel > Device Manager > System Devices… check whether Intel Management Engine Interface is there – it should have been removed.  If it’s still there, right click > Uninstall device (tick Delete the driver software for this device) > hit Uninstall.

Shut down PC.

Get into the BIOS and change settings to default, then save and exit.

After the next startup, launch the Lenovo Vantage app, hit System update > Check for updates…

It should suggest installing Intel Management Engine – go ahead with this.

Then do a restart and check whether the battery drain issue is now fixed (I suggest leaving it shut down or in hibernation for a 2 hour period).

Best to avoid performing any other software / driver installations or updates until you’re happy there’s no more battery drain.

Don’t be tempted, like I was, to download the Intel MEI drivers / app from Lenovo, let the Vantage app do this.

I was on BIOS 5ncn29ww at the time I performed the reset to default.  Once I’d established that the battery drain issue was fixed I subsequently updated the BIOS to 5ncn36ww.

I’ve now been free of this battery drain issue for 10 days!

Let us know if that worked.

tt2tt2
Paper Tape
Views: 1,819
Message 4 of 11

Thanks for your reply. I tried your method. But it still had this problem. So I removed all plug-in cables from my USBs (I have an external monitor linked to my laptop always). This time everything looks fine, no drain after two day off. I will try again to check. I think it reasonable because my ALWAYS ON USB is on. Anyway, I will update.

tt2tt2
Paper Tape
Views: 1,788
Message 5 of 11

Another trial indicates when I remove all cables from my USB after shutdown, no battery drain is observed. But this is for my case, and I do not know whether this applies to the other people. Anyway, Thanks for your advice.

dosher
Punch Card
Views: 1,783
Message 6 of 11

Thanks for the update.  Good to know that you found the cause.

Witzz
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,165
Message 7 of 11

SAME HERE Smiley Sad

tt2tt2
Paper Tape
Views: 1,159
Message 8 of 11

You can try to remove all cables from you USB and check after several days' shutdown.

Jrawrd9
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,018
Message 9 of 11

@dosherwrote:

I also had a problem with battery drain on my 920.  This would occur whilst it was shut down and also during hibernation.  Took me a long time to trace as there seem to be a lot of potential solutions out there.

Firstly, check that you have the Lenovo Vantage app installed as I used this to reinstall one of the components that was removed during the fix.

These are the procedures that fixed it for me:

In Control Panel (Small icons) > Programs and Features…  uninstall Intel Management Engine Components.

In Control Panel > Device Manager > System Devices… check whether Intel Management Engine Interface is there – it should have been removed.  If it’s still there, right click > Uninstall device (tick Delete the driver software for this device) > hit Uninstall.

Shut down PC.

Get into the BIOS and change settings to default, then save and exit.

After the next startup, launch the Lenovo Vantage app, hit System update > Check for updates…

It should suggest installing Intel Management Engine – go ahead with this.

Then do a restart and check whether the battery drain issue is now fixed (I suggest leaving it shut down or in hibernation for a 2 hour period).

Best to avoid performing any other software / driver installations or updates until you’re happy there’s no more battery drain.

Don’t be tempted, like I was, to download the Intel MEI drivers / app from Lenovo, let the Vantage app do this.

I was on BIOS 5ncn29ww at the time I performed the reset to default.  Once I’d established that the battery drain issue was fixed I subsequently updated the BIOS to 5ncn36ww.

I’ve now been free of this battery drain issue for 10 days!

Let us know if that worked.

Hey dosher,

I also had this issue with my yoga 920. After performing the steps you described in your post the issue was resolved. I was finding 15% drain while asleep over the course of several hours. This was also with no devices attached and with always-on-usb disabled.

After approximately 5 days my yoga 920 crashed from a blue screen. my device then became extremely laggy in its applications. (After clicking an icon it would take approximately 5 seconds for the icon to become highlighted, I tried a wide variety of troubleshooting options and in the end the issue was fixed after performing a system restore to before the above mentioned fix was implemented. I have no had any more issues with crashes/blue screens/lag however, it appears the battery drain issue has returned. 

I wanted to see if your fix was still working without issue for you.

Thanks in advance.

dosher
Punch Card
Views: 994
Message 10 of 11

That’s a pain.  No, mine has been problem free since performing that fix.

Prior to noticing the battery drain issue I also had a blue screen problem, usually just after resuming from hibernation.  It was caused by a graphics driver udate which was being pushed out by Windows update.  After uninstalling it and loading the most recent driver from Lenovo the blue screen issue was resolved.  So it would be worth checking your current graphics driver version and comparing it with the latest version from Lenovo.  If it’s the same, try uninstalling it together with the driver software, reboot and then install latest version.

That said, your blue screen problem could be caused by something else but I usually find that it’s a driver issue.

Top Kudoed Authors