Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kcarrasco
Paper Tape
Views: 1,922
Message 1 of 6

Yoga 920 bricked after BIOS update

Hi, attempted to upgrade my Yoga 920's BIOS using this BIOS version (link to README):

https://us.download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/5ncn41ww.txt

After running the executable, Windows 10 restarted but never came back and the Laptop will not boot. The keyboard and power button flash for about 1 second and then it turns off again. The screen remains off and the same thing happens over and over again until I press and hold the power button for about 8 seconds to completely turn off the system.

I tried pressing the "recovery" pin-hole button next to the power button with a papaer clip but the same behavior occurs.

I guess it's bricked so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to force the Yoga 920 to flash a recovery BIOS or something from a USB stick.

Thanks.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,885
Message 2 of 6

Re: Yoga 920 bricked after BIOS update

Hi kcarrasco!

Welcome to community forums,

Flashing the BIOS could go wrong in a lot of ways that's why we should only flash it when it is necessary and with a lot of caution. What prompted you to update the BIOS? 

It's best to contact our technical support for further assistance.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

FGG-IBCA
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,676
Message 3 of 6

@ericalim_lenovo wrote:

Hi kcarrasco!

Welcome to community forums,

Flashing the BIOS could go wrong in a lot of ways that's why we should only flash it when it is necessary and with a lot of caution. What prompted you to update the BIOS? 

It's best to contact our technical support for further assistance.

Regards,

Hello,

I had the same scare when upgrading the bios on my Yoga 920 from 5NCN38WW to 5NCN41WW.

The update was downloaded by Lenovo Vantage and just followed the instructions.

When it was done instead of rebooting it seemed to go 2 or 3 times to a reboot process and the keyboard lights came up and went off a 2 or 3 times and then eventually it rebooted to my windows 10. It gave the impression that something was not right, but I did not touch it untill it was completely done and rebooted to windows 10 (I'm running the latest V 1809 build 17763.195).

On previous updates of the BIOS all the way up to 5NCN38WW  I never noticed this weird behavior.

Anyway, I'm now up and running and Lenovo Vantage shows the current BIOS 5NCN41WW.

Highlighted
Joseagra999
Paper Tape
Views: 1,504
Message 4 of 6

Hi, I have this exact same issue now. Were you ever able to solve it?

kcarrasco
Paper Tape
Views: 1,488
Message 5 of 6

I was not able to resolve it myself. My Yoga was still under warranty so I sent it in and Lenovo fixed it.

DoctorN
What's DOS?
Views: 1,391
Message 6 of 6

Mine got bricked, too.  Being under warranty, I sent it for repair.  The shop just informed me they had to order a new motherboard and I will have to wait at least a couple of weeks, more likely like a month for the new part to arrive.

This is my working laptop, now I have to use an old and very slow machine.

I am very bitterly disappointed by the slow service and poor attitude.  I don't think I will ever buy another lenovo product.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors