cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mazdakt
Paper Tape
Views: 638
Message 1 of 4

Yoga 920: external display output suddenly stopped working and USB-PD firmware update didn't fix it

The title says it all. I'm very frustrated with this problem since I really need to connect my laptop to an external monitor for work. I've read and tried all relative topics in this and intel forums (e. g: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-920-can-t-connect-to-any-external-mon...), have done all steps mentioned (including firmware, bios and windows update, windows reset, ...) but the problem still persists. Apparently, most users that had faced the same problem been able to get it worked after installing "Type C Firmware for Windows 10 (64-bit)" or the BIOS update provided by Lenovo. I installed them successfully but nothing changed. I am sure it is a software issue since there is no sign of any hardware one (all devices are fine as device manager shows and diagnostics app found no problem). It was just working fine until suddenly stopped working (probably after some recent windows update). I would greatly appreciate any help.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 621
Message 2 of 4

Re: Yoga 920: external display output suddenly stopped working and USB-PD firmware update didn't fix

What make/model adapter are you using and what make/model display are you connecting and how are you connecting it (HDMI, VGA, etc)?

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
mazdakt
Paper Tape
Views: 591
Message 3 of 4

Re: Yoga 920: external display output suddenly stopped working and USB-PD firmware update didn't fix

I've tested 6 brands of USB-C adapters on a few different monitors, through both HDMI and VGA. So I don't think it's something brand/model related. All the adpaters and monitors are properly working with other laptops at the office and at least two of them used to work properly with my laptop.

Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 587
Message 4 of 4

Without the additional information, my help is limited. I use a Trendnet with my 910 and 920 and it works fine on most monitors. On some brands (Sony, for example), the plug-in-power-up sequence has to be in a certain order or the display balks. 4k monitors are specifically picky about that, I've heard. And if you're running it through an AVR or HDMI switch, the handshake failure possibility goes up. I'm not sure if that's an issue with Kaby Lake processors and HDCP or a monitor thing. 

Two things to check: First, make sure battery saver isn't engaged. Second, make sure the resolution you have set for your computer is one the external monitor supports. Windows is supposed to auto-detect that, but it doesn't always happen with certain brands of monitors and adapters.

Good luck. I wish you well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors