Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oolf
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,860
Message 11 of 38

Re: Yoga 920 loud fan

I had the same issue and even bought a second machine on which the fans where loud as well. Just not acceptable for such a expensive machine. I now bought a surface book 2 13" which has no fans for the CPU. I am really happy even though I like the design of the YOGA 920 better

Daniel096
Paper Tape
Views: 17,795
Message 12 of 38

I had this problem, too. And the worst thing was that under the Performance tab in Task Manager, the CPU was spiking between 2.5 and 3.8 GHz. So I closed a process called "quicksettings.exe" if I recall corectly. I believe it was some software from Lenovo, but it kept my CPU at such a high clock rate that the fan noise was too noticeable and the temperatures were also above 60 degrees celsius. So after I closed that process it never came back. Still have kind of a poor battery life on my unit, though Smiley Sad

Highlighted
jeric69
Paper Tape
Views: 17,712
Message 13 of 38

Work around for fan noise Yoga920 : no bios update/missing processor state in power options/ no quite mode available in bios

processor state.JPG

Fix: Lower maximum power state of the processor by 2%

By default processor state is missing from power options,

So, enable it by a registry edit.

Use Regedit and change the below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power

Change the value of the key CsEnabled from 1 to 0 and reboot.

change processor maximum processor state to 98%.

PDXMax
What's DOS?
Views: 17,508
Message 14 of 38

Thank you. It worked (at least for now.) :-)

Quiet as a church mouse.

Thx

Jrawrd9
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,454
Message 15 of 38

Hey guys,

Also have a brand new Lenovo 920 here (Got the nice special Star Wars edition from Best buy, love it)

After a couple of weeks I too have started to get the loud fan issue. Ran Task manager and noticed "Windows Problem Reporting" was responsible for a constant 22-25% CPU load. I ended this task and the fan quickly quieted down. After a few quick google searches, i have found that there are a couple of ways to disable this process, but I will let you seek those out on your own at your own risk. That being said, I have not run into any problems on my machine yet.

Hope this helps, and allows you to get back to enjoying this sweet piece of machinery!

burnstuff
Paper Tape
Views: 17,128
Message 16 of 38

I just got this unit with 8th gen i7, 16gb, 1tb setup and occassionally I hear the fan a bit, but it hasn't bothered me as it's not very noticable, for me. I can relate how it might be bothersome to others though.  Small things can get under your skin! 

With such a powerful and thin laptop, is a bit of fan noise expected?

Elevated
Paper Tape
Views: 16,510
Message 17 of 38

@jeric69 wrote:

Work around for fan noise Yoga920 : no bios update/missing processor state in power options/ no quite mode available in bios

processor state.JPG

Fix: Lower maximum power state of the processor by 2%

By default processor state is missing from power options,

So, enable it by a registry edit.

Use Regedit and change the below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power

Change the value of the key CsEnabled from 1 to 0 and reboot.

change processor maximum processor state to 98%.

Thank you for posting this.  This fixed my brand new machine (Yoga 920, 16gb ram, i7). I had updated everything, and the fan was constantly kicking in for small burst, particularly when browsing or opening any program.   Now its quiet as a mouse, and I have not heard the fan in 2 days except for watching detailed 4k videos.  

An_old_dude
What's DOS?
Views: 16,304
Message 18 of 38

The workaround suggested by jeric69 worked for me too! I noticed that the CPU speed remains very close to 1.8-1.9 GHz (as opposed to before, when spikes close to 4 GHz was common). I'm assuming that some applications will be a little slower, but if this is the price to pay for a much quieter laptop, I think it is worthwhile. Also, the CPU remains cooler - see temperatures below, with CPU running at 30-40% most of the time. Thank you, a lot, for the suggestion.

Capture.PNG

DaleRoss
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 16,268
Message 19 of 38

The problem with these work arounds are that Registry Editing is required, which shouldn't be performed by most users. And while most users that would hit a forum for solutions is probably ok with editing the registry, some may find their way to this solution through searches.

Lenovo should provide a solution.

Me, I'm getting annoyed with the fan noise. Buying a premium ultrabook - paying >$2K -this shouldn't be present and at a minimum Lenovo should provide a fix. Yes, I can edit the registry; but that isn't an accepable/supportable solution. but it is good others are providing solutions for those willing to take the plunge.

dosher
Punch Card
Views: 16,239
Message 20 of 38

I thought it would be useful to post the results of my (very basic) benchmark testing using 2 different methods of CPU throttling. 

I’ve had my 920 i7-8550U since mid-December and found the fan noise in high performance mode, at times, to be higher than I’d like. But I think burnstuff’s comment earlier in this thread is very pertinent.  My previous device was a Yoga 2 Pro with i7 4th gen CPU and I generally didn’t feel the need to apply any CPU throttling on that device although the fan would kick in on occasions.

Obviously we all have different views on what is and is not an acceptable level of fan noise and we’re also using our Yoga’s in different ways for different tasks, all of which makes direct comparisons virtually impossible.  It’s just too subjective.

I used Geekbench 4 to measure the CPU multi-core and single-core performance with different levels of CPU throttling.  The first method has already been mentioned in this thread and involves simply reducing the Maximum processor state below 100%.  I used a figure of 99% in my tests.  Whilst this does work very effectively in terms of reducing the fan noise, it is severely restricting the performance of the i7 8th gen CPU in the 920.  The single-core figure actually comes out 33% lower than the i7 4th gen CPU on the Yoga 2 Pro.   The problem here is that reducing the Maximum processor state even by just 1% is not allowing the CPU speed to exceed 1.99 GHz.  This is half of the maximum speed this CPU is capable of (4.0 GHz max turbo speed).

The second method I’ve used allows the maximum CPU speed to be set at any level you like.  After a bit of experimenting I found that, for my own purposes, a max CPU speed of 3.0 or 3.2 GHz is about right.  I still get some occasional fan noise but it’s generally subdued and overall fairly similar to (or even a bit less than) the Yoga 2 Pro i7 when it was run at full power.  In regedit you need to unlock a setting called Maximum processor frequency which will then appear just above Minimum processor state in Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change advanced power settings > Processor power management.

For some reason Lenovo has chosen to hide this setting from the User on this device.  Although I have found that other laptop manufacturers do the same thing.  But if you were ever to install a fresh version of W10 you would find that this setting is present in the advanced Power Options menu by default so no need to edit the registry.

To unlock this setting in regedit I used the method described in the following link:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/95580-add-remove-maximum-processor-frequency-windows-10-power-op...

Basically it’s as follows:

In the registry navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\75b0ae3f-bce0-45a7-8c89-c9611c25e100

Right click on Attributes then select Modify…

Change Value data to 2

Note that if this is set to 1 the option will be removed from the Processor power management menu

These are the figures I recorded from Geekbench 4. 

Lenovo YOGA 920 i7-8550U  

Multi-Core 14,390  Single-Core 4,973  (Full power / unrestricted)      

Multi-Core 14,136   Single-Core 4,050  (Max processor freq 3.2GHz)

Multi-Core 13,720   Single-Core 3,843  (Max processor freq 3.0GHz)

Multi-Core   8,406  Single-Core 2,380   (Max processor state 99%)

Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro -i7-4500U

Multi-Core 6,241  Single-Core 3,543  (Full power / unrestricted)

Note that once you've unlocked the Maximum processor frequency in regedit, the default setting in the drop down menu will be 0 which is unlimited.  If you want to set this to say 3.2 GHz you need to enter a figure of 3200 MHz

Hope that’s of some use.

Top Kudoed Authors