Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jecca0381
What's DOS?
Views: 5,083
Message 1 of 4

Yoga 920 loud fan

I just bought the Yoga 920, I love the look and almost everything about it, but the fan kind of starts loud then quiets down, kind of like a blowing noise. I'm trying to decide if I should return it or not and use it to see if I'll get used to it. I have the Yoga 3, and my fan on that isn't even that loud. I bought this computer due to that the fact that I have to constantly keep my Yoga 3 plugged up, as the battery seems to ware down very quickly on that. Any solutions to a fix on this?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 5,076
Message 2 of 4

Re: Yoga 920 loud fan

I have a 910 and a 920 and two Dells. All of them do that at boot-up as there are a lot of processes running, then. I've noticed the fan will kick up during a virus scan (which often starts at boot since the computer was off when the scheduled scan was supposed to take place) and when Windows is taking an update. (Windows seems happy to alert you to everything from a new Facebook post to a new version of Edge, but won't give you any indication Windows is taking an update)

If it doesn't settle down after the first few minutes, open your Task Manager and see what's taxing the CPU. I think the fan is more noticeable on the 900-series as they're really thin computers with heavy-duty processors. Tougher to dissipate the heat than in a, say, an inch-thick Inspiron running a Celeron.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
jecca0381
What's DOS?
Views: 5,050
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the information! I think I may have found the problem. I uninstalled McAfee, because I don't use it anyway, I just use the standard version that Windows provides, anyways after uninstall it. I have not heard the fan as of yet

zqlw
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,045
Message 4 of 4

The problem is not with your computer, it is with all of Lenovo! WORST COMPANY EVER! 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors