Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
enuidv
Paper Tape
Views: 578
Message 1 of 4

Yoga 920: replace or refund?

Hello everyone, 

I bought a Yoga 920 last week and was really pleased with its performance until yesterday evening. I was clicking through a folder when the screen froze and I had to do a manual reset, which led to a series of blue error screens, more freezing, a Windows reset, and then a completely unresponsive machine (black screen, keyboard lights flashing).

I called customer services this morning, who said that they would organise a refund or replacement for me. I really liked the machine when it was performing well, but I'm nervous about sticking with it after such a new machine turned out to be faulty (I'd used Apple products for the past 10 years and haven't had anything like this happen before). I'm currently writing up a PhD and lost that day's work as a result of this (not to mention all the time spent trying to resolve the issue), so I want a machine that's as reliable as possible. I'd like to know what other people recommend, based on their experience with this model - should I stick with the 920 and treat this as a freak occurence, or is this sort of thing common?

Thanks! 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 537
Message 2 of 4

Re: Yoga 920: replace or refund?

Honestly, after watching delivery fail videos on YouTube.. where delivery people toss packages out of vans, kick them down staircases and so forth, I'm surprised the fail rate on electronics isn't way higher.  

I have a 910 and 920. Both work incredibly well. Took some work to fix issues Windows introduced into the 910 after the Anniversary Update and the Qualcomm WiFi card on either unit works great.. but might need some tweaking for it to happen. I rarely connect the 920 to anything other than its charger and I'm getting excellent battery life and very smooth operation. I don't have the audio issues others have reported, but it's something you should be aware of. 

Thing is, the users who have no issues have little reason to even visit support forums. That goes for just about anything. You probably won't get an accurate picture of the entire user base. Just sayin.' I came here after the Anniversary Update issue with the 910. I've had no issues with the 920 that weren't Windows issues. 

As for whatever you decide, now's the time to start thinking about using cloud services more or other means of off-device storage. These computers are obviously designed with an unwired future in mind. With any computer, you stand less of a chance of losing any work if it's all either stored or frequently backed up in the cloud. I don't 'even use thumb drives, anymore. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
enuidv
Paper Tape
Views: 528
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for taking the time to write this - that's all extremely helpful! 

Jeffla
Punch Card
Views: 510
Message 4 of 4

I have to agree with the other poster. Start using Google Docs or such to write your papers. I am an MSN student and know the pain of losing pages of papers. Since I switched to Google Docs I have never lost more than a word or two. That said, I download the final paper, open it in Word '16 and make my final edits. 

I do love my 920, but, after ~ 10 months of use, I still dislike the keyboard, A LOT. If I were able to return my 920 I would. Although it is a nice machine. I think I would be happier with a Dell XPS 2-1. My partner has the '18 Dell XPS 13 and it is one hell of a great machine. The keyboard is fantastic, the build quality is subpurb and I prefer the carbon fiber over the cold metal. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors