Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eric143
Paper Tape
Views: 2,243
Message 1 of 6

Yoga 920 temperatures

I have a 920 Yoga 16gb. Using HWMonitor, I'm getting idle temps of ~60-65C. And it regularly hits ~92C under load of any kind. It's almost impossible to use on my lap, I have to put a book or something under it. Do I have a bad unit, or is this normal?  I don't think it did this when I first got it two months ago. I have some recollection of updating BIOS and running the Lenovo updates, but I don't see any way to rollback to a prior version to give that a shot. Any other troubleshooting ideas?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,225
Message 2 of 6

Re: Yoga 920 temperatures

My only experience with this model is that I had one for 2 weeks to write a review. My temperatures were much lower than yours.  I ran a CPU torture test (Prime95) and only got up to the high 70's

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,190
Message 3 of 6

I have the 910, not the 920.  A lot depends on what I'm doing with it. A lot of browser windows open tends to work the machine. I don't think it's the multiple open tabs so much as bad code on the sites. I can hear my fan ramp up and closing a suspect tab or two usually solves it. I don't run into many heat issues when the computer's not updating or offline, entirely. It will get pretty warm when doing video editing, too. But if I'm just writing my book and checking my mail, it doesn't get overly hot. 

It's an i7 processor in a very thin case. It's gonna get pretty warm, regardless. But your readings seem a bit high. If I were you, I'd start by seeing what's running in Task Manager. If you're just checking your mail and the processor's running at 80% or higher, something else is going on.  I know the 910 had an issue with a stuck installer program after the Windows Anniversary Update. That gave everybody fits with heat and fan speeds.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Jeffla
Punch Card
Views: 2,181
Message 4 of 6

Same machine: Better Battery setting enabled (my default) 1080p MS Model

• 1 chrome window open, chat app, file explorer, on battery while on my lap: All cores ~33c
  • Norton virus scan (full system), same stuff as above: All cores ~40

Mine stays cool most of the time. I didn't need an i7 laptop, I easily could have lived with a i3 or such. I don't even have any programs on my laptop that could even max out the processor. While plugged in I have felt it get warm before, but have no idea what it was doing at that time to justify the warmth.  This laptop is much cooler than my SP3, that thing could fry bacon. 

Jeffla
Punch Card
Views: 2,140
Message 5 of 6

With my usual stuff open, I uploaded some music today to Google music, was able to get the temp (while plugged in) up to ~88 average across all cores.

eric143
Paper Tape
Views: 2,126
Message 6 of 6

Thanks everyone for the feedback. 

Maybe useful to someone else: In troubleshooting this, I updated the BIOS to 36WW (from 29WW, I think) and it seems much cooler now: running Prime95 and so far it's peaking at mid-80s, which is lower than I was getting before, just browsing. I can't for sure attribute it to that, but it's definitely cooler. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors