Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roman62
Paper Tape
Views: 3,780
Message 1 of 6

Yoga 920 usb c to vga or hdmi not working

my expensive Yoga 920 does not connect through the USB c with external displays. 

even after updating all drivers the connection on VGA port doesn't work and on the HDMI has a random behaviour, sometimes it connects but after unplugging it does reconnect. any suggestion?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 3,703
Message 2 of 6

Re: Yoga 920 usb c to vga or hdmi not working

First, make sure your BIOS and drivers are up-to-date.

If you still don't have success, try a different USB-C to HDMI adapter. We're finding that all of them are not created equal. Some work better than others. I have the 910 and had to go through one or two before landing on a Trendnet, which has performed flawlessly. 

Here's the thread where this is being discussed at length.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
ZRon
SCSI Port
Views: 3,507
Message 3 of 6

The sequence that seems to work today is:

1.  Plug HDMI cable in to the monitor and the adapter.

2.  With the computer OFF, plug in the HDMI adapter to either USB-C ports

3.  Boot up the computer.

Then you can use F10 to specify what you want your monitors to display .

If the computer goes into sleep mode, you'll need to do it all again.

It will not work if you plug the HDMI adapter in while the computer is running.

Rebooting the computer with the adapter plugged in will also not work.

ZRon
SCSI Port
Views: 3,196
Message 4 of 6

The USB-C ports in the 920 had a driver that didn't work well with one of the Windows updates.  That has now be rectified and you can install it using Lenovo Vantage software.  If you do not have it already, you can get it at:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/lenovo-vantage/9wzdncrfj4mv

The new driver cures the startup headache and the lack of PnP headache. 

ET920
Paper Tape
Views: 979
Message 5 of 6

This does not resolve the problem at all.

The problem is that the Lenovo 920 is a garbage laptop. There appears to be insufficient power to the USBC bus. My wired Razer Mamba mouse constantly drops out and reconnects, as does my DellU2713H monitor, which i have tried to connect via 3 different USBc-HDMI adapters.

Lenovo just ignores this problem and i am absolutely infuriated with the run around and lack of action around a function that should be standard with any laptop.

This is my first and LAST Lenovo, but I’m not giving up without a good fight. All the way to court. I have already lodged a claim with consumer affairs. Let see where this goes
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 944
Message 6 of 6

Try a different-branded adapter. They're not all created equal nor tested with every device. Lenovo has some USB-C docks and they list compatibility. I use a Trendnet USB-C to HDMI adapter and it works quite well on my 910 and 920.

As for the issue with the HDMI behavior, that could just be HDMI handshaking. Some brands of external displays are pickier than others and require sources to be connected and powered on in a certain order. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors