Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
csusie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,048
Message 1 of 14

Yoga 920 wifi problems

Won't show available wifi.  Windows diagnostic test says Qualcomm Atheros adapter experiencing driver or hardware problem. 

So how can I connect this laptop to internet using a USB port only?

Yes I'm pretty low tech person in rural part of country.  Adapters are in short supply:-)

Thanks!

csusie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,026
Message 2 of 14

Re: Yoga 920 wifi problems

Googled appropriate adapter and will locate one.   

angel917k
What's DOS?
Views: 4,516
Message 3 of 14

Hi there! Did you solve the issue? I'm having the exact same problem.

csusie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,503
Message 4 of 14

No I never was able to solve the problem.  I was visiting a friend who had hughesnet and their wifi so perhaps that was source of the problem but none of my other devices lost the wifi connection.  I called Lenovo support and they said my problem was "software related".   Only happened when I was running on battery only.  If I plugged in Yoga and restarted multiple times, it would eventually begin to show wifi again and would work normally until the next time it quit.  

Have returned home and wifi so far is working normally.  Probably something to do with the wifi router but not sure.

Good luck!

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 4,497
Message 5 of 14

@csusie wrote:

Only happened when I was running on battery only. 

Did you try changing your power plan settings? On the 910, many of us have had to do that. Settings > System > Power and Sleep > Additional Power Settings > Change Power Settings > Advanced Power Settings. Expand "Wireless Adapter" and expand "Power Setting Mode." You should see two entries. One for AC, one for battery. Change battery settings to medium power saving or maximum performance. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
csusie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,493
Message 6 of 14

No I didn't check power pan settings.... thank you very much for this information! I bet that was the problem and I will check settings.
angel917k
What's DOS?
Views: 4,492
Message 7 of 14

I'm hoping the issue is fixed. The windows updates were frozen, and so I had to use the command prompt to manually stop the downloads so that they can be deleted. I downloaded all the updates and so far, everything is working fine.

My exact issue was, when I would close the lid to put it to sleep, then open it up again, the wifi card would no longer work, and I would get the exact message you got("Qualcomm Atheros adapter experiencing driver or hardware problem"). I had to reset it by holding the power button to get the wifi card to work again. Resetting it from the windows didn't always fix the wifi.

Anywho, so far so good. After the updates, the wifi card hasn't been giving me any issues. I've closed the lid various times, opened it back up, and it seems to be working just fine. I havent bothered with tech support. I've read from various forums that it is a waste of time.

This wifi card issue and the fan issue are the only pitfalls I've found on the laptop so far, but both issues are resolved...for now anyways.

momo4537
Paper Tape
Views: 4,412
Message 8 of 14

I tried to do this on my 920, there is no option to expand for "wireless adapter".  Maybe it is located in a dfferent place?  My wifi goes in and out when running on battery.  Can anyone help with this?

lteX
Punch Card
Views: 4,403
Message 9 of 14

I think the wireless power management settings have been removed in recent updates to drivers and/or energy management software. All in the name of simplifiing things for the user. ;-)

Highlighted
Stealth01
Punch Card
Views: 4,351
Message 10 of 14

Just thinking out loud... have you checked the Dynamic MIMO power setting?  Control Panel > Device Manager > Network Adapters > Qualcomm Atheros > Advanced > Select "Dynamic MIMO Power Save"  Ensure "Disabled" is selected, if not select it!  Hit OK and then reboot your computer.  Something to verify...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors