Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Petemelster
Paper Tape
Views: 15,220
Message 1 of 16

Yoga 920 won't charge anymore

So I've only had my yoga 920 for 1 or 2 months now.

But one day, the charger stopped working. It was plugged in but not charging the laptop at all. The battery icon showed it was on battery power, like the laptop didn't even realize it was plugged in. I tried both USB-C ports also, but neither helped my laptop charge.

SoI'm not talking about the "plugged in, not charging" text I've seen show up in some laptops before.

Right now, the laptop just doesn't realize it's plugged in at all.

Even the  charging LED was not on, despite being plugged in.

Lenovo sent me a new charging adaptor, so we'll see if that works.

In the last 3 days, I've just been using a USB-C phone charger to charge the laptop, which worked with both USB-C ports. Obviously the speed was slow, so if I did intensive tasks, the laptop drained faster than it charged, but it was charging.

However, today, the laptop refused to charge with both ports with this phone charger. Again, the laptop did not recognize it was plugged in and the charging LED was not on, despite being plugged in.

I thought the laptop itself must be frying all chargers, but I tried the charger with a phone, and the phone started charging. So it seems the charger is fine, but the laptop won't charge!

Any solutions or idea what caused two chargers to suddenly stop working? The Lenovo laptop charger itself is dead, but the phone charger works (just no longer to charge the laptop).

Is some internal hardware circuity messed up?

birdie1
Paper Tape
Views: 15,090
Message 2 of 16

Re: Yoga 920 won't charge anymore

I have exactly the same problem. I've had my Yoga 920 just 3 months. The battery ran out last week and when I went to charge it, nothing! No light, no indication at all that it was plugged in or charging. I've tried different plug sockets and it makes no difference. And getting any contact with Lenovo is proving so hard. Have you had any more luck?

dcorrech
What's DOS?
Views: 14,983
Message 3 of 16

Exact same problem - I love this computer but this is the 2nd big problem I've had, and Lenovo Support has been impossible to get in contact with. Has anyone gotten any help for this? I use my computer for work all day, and now need to be using a loan because of this problem- the other chargers I bought to replace the original, thinking it was the charger that was fried, worked for about a day (on and off) and now don't work at all again.

MW5
Paper Tape
Views: 14,884
Message 4 of 16

I have the same issue so logging here to help highlight this as an issue.  3 days old, charged 2 todate, now not charging via either port.

v. disappointing.

Has anyone had any luck on a solution to this yet.  Calling support today, when they're on line.

MW5
Paper Tape
Views: 14,874
Message 5 of 16

** Update **

I've just spoken with support who have given me a couple of procedures to follow and the first worked, I've pasted this below.  I only needed to do it once. 

I'm wondering if this is will be a regular issue but for now I'm up and running.

Hope that this is some use to you, good luck.

Static Discharge

We will need to perform a static discharge. Do not worry, it will not affect any data.

1) You need to unplug the charger off the unit and any other peripherals attached. Please also remove the battery – only remove it if your unit comes with a removable one. If it does, you should be able to see two clips at the back to release it. Please only remove the battery if you locate the clips – otherwise, just proceed with the rest of the steps.
2) Make sure the device is completely powered off and no battery or power lights are on.
3) With the device turned off, you need to press and hold the Power button for 30-40 seconds without letting go. It is normal for the unit to power on/off during this process, don't be alarmed!
4) After the time has passed, take your finger off the button, plug in the charger and switch on the device as you would normally do.

For your information, it is normal for energy to build up inside your device, something that can drastically affect its performance and cause further malfunctions. What we're trying to do here, is  discharge the internal components of your unit from any static electricity that may have been absorbed.

Please perform these steps twice in a row
Suzanne14
Paper Tape
Views: 14,807
Message 6 of 16

My husband had this same problem, and this solution just worked for him. Thank you!

BroAl
Paper Tape
Views: 12,497
Message 7 of 16

Hello... I thought I had found a solution to my "Yoga 920 battery won't charge" Issue.  I tried the solution found here, where you turn the computer off and hold the Start button for 30 to 40 seconds... repeating the process twice.  After trying this, and replugging the computer, it started to recharge up to 100%.  I was so excited.  Then, after a few days, it stopped charging again, and the solution here no longer works, after trying it multipe times.

Now I am down to 33 minutes of battery life and I feel hopless for a solution to this problem.  I took the computer in to Best Buy (Nerds), and they wanted to charge me $85 to do diagnostics, and suggested if it is determined it is a motherboard problem, it would cost $400 to $500 to replace the motherboard.  Such expense is way out of line for a 3.5 year old computer.

Are there any suggestions how I can resolve this problem within the 33 minutes of remaining.  I should point out that prior to the battery problems, ALL the USB ports stopped working.  Magically, they started to work again, and seem to be working fine... for now. 

I truly hate to scarp my Yoga 920, but I refuse to invest $400 to $500 in an unstable machine.

ANY SUGGESTIONs would be greatly appreciated... I can be contacted at amrice@comcast.net

Al

MW5
Paper Tape
Views: 12,416
Message 8 of 16

Sorry to hear that you're having problems.

I didn't post the other half of my response from Lenovo support as the first suggestion solved my problem.  The second half wasn't so attractive due to having to back up all my data but incase you're desperate here you go...

(with 33% charge backing up would be a good use of the charge, I use a batch file using the following line, E: being my external drive.)

robocopy "C:\users\your user" "E:\backup" /XJD /R:0 /XASmiley FrustratedH /E /XO /XD "Downloads" "AppData" /LOG:robocopy.log /TEE

2nd half of levono support message below:

If this does not solve the problem, please follow the next step.

OneKey Recovery

You will need to perform a One Key Recovery, which resets the device to the factory settings.
Please make sure that your device is plugged into the charging unit, otherwise the OneKey Recovery will not work.
Before performing this procedure make sure to back up your device to an external hard drive, as all your files will be wiped from the device.
Once the procedure has been performed you will be able to download all your files back onto the device.
Remember to also reinstall any programmes you had on the device previously.

1. POWER OFF the device
2. Poke the NOVO BUTTON, located near the power button or on the side of the device
3. A LOADING SCREEN will appear
4. You should see a BLUE SCREEN
5. Then a RECOVERY MENU will load
6. Select 'SYSTEM RECOVERY'
      CONFIRM, using the ENTER key
7. Select 1ST OPTION --> 'INITIAL BACK UP' system recovery
8. CONFIRM twice (2 confirmation screens will appear)
9. Recovery will start and takes about 20-30 mins
10. Asks for RESTART
11. Need to RECONFIGURE the device, as you did when you first purchased it

Highlighted
MW5
Paper Tape
Views: 12,414
Message 9 of 16

Don't know about the smiley so trying again that should be a /XASmiley FrustratedH ( so a ':' and 'S' together)
Jessy5
What's DOS?
Views: 11,726
Message 10 of 16

Ugh.haveing the same issue and no luck! Tried both and no luck, 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors