Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TechMeister
Paper Tape
Views: 211
Message 1 of 1

Yoga Book - Screen Rotation, Halo Keyboard, Sleep Mode

Recently purchased my Book in October 2017. I was so excited when it arrived due to all the cool tech that was built-in. I took it with me on Vacation in November. During my flight I was watching some downloaded movies. When I closed the lid to catch a few z's. The **bleep** thing began to chime like it had some sort of wind chimes going off. It turned out that some how miscellaneous programs were launching and windows was sounding off with system sounds. I had to re-open the book and manually close everything and shut down the system in order to silence it.

A couple of days after landing I began to use the book again and realized the screen rotation was not working as well as the Halo Keyboard activation button (upper right corner). This was so frustrating for me, I began to consider selling it on "Offer Up" or "Craig's List". Being a tech professional, I couldn't let this problem get the best of me. Especially since I couldn't feel good about selling a semi-bricked device.

After futal researching on this forum and general searches on Google, a thought entered my mind. Why not try to do a System Restore. It made sense that good old Microsoft was pushing out updates which must have been the cause of these problems. Sure enough, rolling back to the original state when I purchased it made everything work again.

However, I failed to realize that M$ was going to bite me again. Sure enough they did it again. Now, I realized that I must disable M$ Updates from jacking up my new Yoga Book. So, here's my solution and I'm sticking to it!

1. Turn off "Wireless"

2. Disable "Windows Update Service"

3. Reset the Operating System to Factory New status.

4. Confirm "Windows Update Service" is disabled

5. Disable Cortana (for personal security reasons)

6. Turn Wireless back on

7. Re-install all Security related software (ie. Anti-Virus, Firewall, VPN, Spybot Anti-Beacon).

Results:

Everything is working as expected. I now have the Yoga Book that I bought a few months ago and I am a somewhat happier person because of this all.

I hope this helps anyone who is experiening the same behavior due to Windows Updates destroying there Yoga Book's awesome functionality.

Top Kudoed Authors