Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ddsquire
Paper Tape
Views: 2,436
Message 21 of 39

Re: Yoga C930 4K screen not detected as HDR in Windows 10

Thanks, this worked for me, though I'm still not pleased with the implementation of dolby vision so far.  Will tinker around some more.  

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 2,398
Message 22 of 39

All,

Hopefully a tip will be published on the support site including the following information:

• Check that you have the latest version of Windows 10 installed on your PC. Click here for more information on how to initiate update.

• Select “System Update” in Vantage to ensure your system is up to date, or click here for more information on how to initiate update.

• Visit the Microsoft Store app and make sure you have the latest update for “HEVC extensions”.

• Next, under “Apps” in your Yoga C930 Windows settings menu, make sure that “Stream HDR” is turned on. Then, select “Optimize for video quality.”

• Finally, you can verify that your device is enabled by playing any Netflix title mastered for Dolby Vision. The text “Dolby Vision” will appear briefly in the upper right hand corner of the screen.

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

ww007
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,373
Message 23 of 39

Yes, this seems to work!

Things certainly "look" more HDR now (though not quite as good as on my OLED TV). Only took a couple of months to figure it out lol

Interestingly, the display settings still don't have HDR settings (except for the HDR video settings) and DX diag is still saying HDR is not supported.

So is this an HDR display? The earlier posts in this thread seem to suggest otherwise (Lenovo specs website not listing it as HDR, other Lenovo employees saying it wasn't HDR). The 300 nits maximum brightness also seems to prevent it from being true HDR.

I wonder if it's the Dolby software / drivers turning it from a non-HDR display to an HDR one...

lenovotv
HDMI
Views: 2,300
Message 24 of 39

Hi, I am still a bit confused. Lenovo told us that C930 does not support HDR and we know that the LCD screen on the C930 is not HDR. So, what is working now? If I connect a 4K HDR TV to this laptop, can it play 4K HDR contents with Atmos? Can any existing user please clarify? Thanks

ddsquire
Paper Tape
Views: 2,296
Message 25 of 39

When did lenovo say the screen does not support HDR?  Dolby Vision is a form of HDR, and the C930 supports Dolby Vision.  What appears to be working now is the ability to watch YouTube and Netflix in HDR/Dolby Vision.  You can also watch Vudu in 4k, but not 4k HDR.  Before, users (including myself) were complaining about the inability to watch any content in HDR/Dolby Vision; it wasn't working work on YouTube or Netflix.

ww007
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,290
Message 26 of 39

Read through the entire first page of this thread. Several different Lenovo employees posted that this laptop does not have HDR, and even referenced a Lenovo website with the specs that left out HDR, even though other Lenovo laptops had HDR listed. Now, it could have been that this laptop was very new and they were just not familiar with it yet.

And by "works" I meant that the laptop screen itself was able to display HDR content. I haven't tried connecting it to an HDR monitor yet to see if it can output HDR.

ddsquire
Paper Tape
Views: 2,286
Message 27 of 39

This spec sheet is obviously inaccurate as it does not list the C930 as having Dolby Vision.  Dolby Vision is a form of HDR. 

ddsquire
Paper Tape
Views: 2,285
Message 28 of 39

Since we've now confirmed that videos from Netflix and YouTube are viewable in HDR/Dolby Vision, it appears we can put to bed the idea that the C930 does not support HDR.

ddsquire
Paper Tape
Views: 2,284
Message 29 of 39

I've read through the posts on the first page, and they appear to be filled with inaccurate information.  Lenovo concluded that the C930 lacks support for HDR based on the following complaint:

"I've watched Youtube videos through Chrome, Firefox, and Edge, and videos through the Netflix app, and none of them look like they're in HDR."

But we've since confirmed that HDR/Dolby Vision content on You Tube and Netflix is viewable on the C930.  So it seems the Lenovo support folks on here are mistaken.

ww007
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,266
Message 30 of 39

Yes, I'm well aware that Dolby Vision is a form of HDR. That's why I was rather incredulous when they stated this laptop has Dolby Vision but not HDR.

And if they concluded that this laptop doesn't support HDR based solely on my complaint, well... you don't need me to tell you how ridiculous that would be!

In actuality, I think they weren't familiar with the laptop so they looked up what little information was available through the Lenovo website. Strangely, the product page for the C930 makes no mention of the term "HDR" at all:

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/yoga/yoga-c-series/Yoga-C930-13IKB/p/88YGC900982

So it was conceivable that the laptop did have Dolby Vision but not HDR. It would've been one of the the worst deceptive marketing practices in history, but conceivable. Why not just say "Dolby Vision HDR" like everyone else??

The initial posts made me feel like I was duped, but kudos to Lenovo for sticking with it and finally coming through with a solution.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors