Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ww007
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,712
Message 31 of 39

Re: Yoga C930 4K screen not detected as HDR in Windows 10

Actually, I should say the issue isn't fully resolved yet because the screen is still not officially detected under Windows 10 as HDR. I don't know what the deal is with that...

lenovotv
HDMI
Views: 1,708
Message 32 of 39

For me, if I can watch 4K HDR videos and perhaps also play games on my externally connected Sony HDR 4K TV, that would be good enough.

danielee0707
Paper Tape
Views: 1,701
Message 33 of 39

I feel that the laptop just doesn't fully support Dolby Vision inherently given its peak brightness being 300 nits. It shouldn't have passed the Dolby standard. The youtube/netflix enabling thing is just optimization by windows and other companies to somehow fakely display HDR/DV content on a half HDR screen. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I feel now given all these.

Ray_Lenovo_User
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,678
Message 34 of 39

Agreed. Not only is 300 nits nowhere near bright enough to classify as HDR, neither is the 8 bit panel for color. However, I see that there are multiple HDR ratings now besides HDR10. I've seen referrences to HDR400, HDR600, etc. all referring to their lower nits requirements and the device's capability. 

Moorea
What's DOS?
Views: 1,655
Message 35 of 39

I wish I had seen this thread earlier... I'm really disapointed I got tricked into buying this laptop because of dolby vision and it doesn't actually have an HDR screen. This is really bad advertisment.

spikesclone
What's DOS?
Views: 1,264
Message 36 of 39

I was pointed to this forum after posting a review of the C930 on the Lenovo website.

Following the instructions provided, the Dolby Vision does indeed work on YouTube in Edge and Netflix with either the official app or Edge browser.

I do feel misled with the adverstising over the HDR capabilities of the screen, but Lenovo has come up with a solution. Though this should be setup and enabled by default without users having to be pointed to this forum or come across it by searching.

Unfortunately Dolby has broken the app with the last update, for me anyway.

The app no longer gives any of the 3 picture options previously available, and although Netflix app stated Dolby Vision is enabled on the C930 the tell tale Dolby Vision logo no longer appears in the top right when supported titles are started.

So no HDR. Again.

Reinstalling doesn't fix it either.

Good whilst it lasted I suppose.

VerityAuger
Paper Tape
Views: 1,159
Message 37 of 39

My C930 is arriving on Thursday, straight from  Lenovo.  I bought the 1TB glass version after watching a  Dolby Vision demo of Altered Carbon on the C930. I'm going to be really disappointed if I cant do the same with my own laptop which I paid over $2K to get.

bfilipe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 798
Message 38 of 39

I didn't really understand why I wasn't getting the "HDR Support" that Lenovo advertises.
It turns out that I only had HEVC Video Extensions missing from my system for it to work properly, unfortunately Microsoft charges 1$ (or 1€ in my case) for this. I don't really agree with this because, quite frankly, this is a necessary component. 

Turns out there is a workaround for the issue.

Get "HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer", which is exactly the same thing, but its free (and not advertised in any way by Microsoft).

Go to the link below, because if you search for it in Microsoft Store it does not show it as something that exists...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq

Now when I start HDR content in Netflix, I can see the Dolby Vision logo on the screen... Finally...
It's still not the same as watching Netflix HDR on my Sony 4K HDR TV, but it is way better than before. 

Boogey
Paper Tape
Views: 161
Message 39 of 39

QUESTION: Everyone complaining about HDR are you on 1080p panels? Anyone with a 4k panel having problems?

I wish everyone would mention whether they have a 1080p or 4k screen.

People are saying 300nits would make the panel not quality as Dolby HDR capable. 300nits tends to be the typical 1080p brightness.

4k panels tend to be 400 or 500 nits.

One C930 review mentioned the 4k panel goes to 500nits, which sounds about right, considering other 4k laptops (Lenovo and other brands) tend to hit 500nits. https://www.pocket-lint.com/laptops/reviews/lenovo/145564-lenovo-yoga-c930-review

Another review mentioned the 4k panel goes to 400nits. https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/lenovo-yoga-c930

However, here's a 4k review that states much lower numbers:

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/24458-lenovo-yoga-c930-review/

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors