Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doink
Paper Tape
Views: 1,480
Message 1 of 16

Yoga C930 BIOS and Battery Update

Hi all,

Has anyone with the Yoga C930 successfully attempted the updates for the BIOS (8GCN32WW - 10 Jan 2019)

and Battery Firmware (17 Dec 2018) from https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-c930-13ikb/downloa... ?

The 8GCN32WW update README doesn't actually say what the changes are Smiley Indifferent just

Update EC to 8GEC32WW version. 

What does the update actually contain? 

and the Battery Firmware zip file for SMP (my version of the battery) does not unzip successfully for me at all. Smiley Sad

Thanks! 

HPFugitive
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,428
Message 2 of 16

Re: Yoga C930 BIOS and Battery Update

I was looking for answers on this as well.  The SMP ZIP file appears to be corrupted.  It won't unzip.   I've downloaded it several times over the past month hoping that Lenovo would fix it.   Now I'm trying to find a way to alert Lenovo to the problem.

Even though I don't know what the BIOS update will do, I'm going to try it, just to get the practice in.  BIOS updates were a regular occurrence on my HP Spectre x360, but the procedure looks very different here.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,424
Message 3 of 16

@HPFugitive wrote:

I was looking for answers on this as well.  The SMP ZIP file appears to be corrupted.

It fails to unzip for me using Windows Explorer, but does unzip to an exe using 7zip.  The SHA1 checksum matches.

I don't have any way to test the exe, so FWIW...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

doink
Paper Tape
Views: 1,420
Message 4 of 16

Thanks @zoltanthegypsy for the tip! I've managed to unzip the SMP ZIP file using 7zip as you suggested. However using Get-FileHash in Powershell to check the checksum in all formats do not match for me unfortunately. Is there anyway we can provide feedback to Lenovo please to check all download links for the zip file and also to update the BIOS readme as it's not descriptive? 

@HPFugitive would be grateful if you could update on how the BIOS update went for you and if you see any difference after the update please? 

Thanks both! Smiley Happy

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,411
Message 5 of 16

All three checksums verify for me.  We're checking the downloaded ZIP file, not the exe.

If you are still concerned with the download integrity - or to report the Win Explorer issue - you can report it here:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Feedback-on-the-support-site/bd-p/Customer_Feedback

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

HPFugitive
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,396
Message 6 of 16

@doink, the BIOS update was fine and easy.  Just double-click an executable and it runs without much fuss.  Interestingly, when I was running the installer for the BIOS update, it told me what the BIOS update was fixing!  But this information is not available anywhere after the update, or anywhere outside of the installer.  Here it is for your information:

Type                   : BIOS
Version               : 8GCN33WW
Release date       : 2018/10/09
Support Module : Lenovo YOGA C930
-----------------------------------------------------------------
RELATED COMPONENT VERSION
EC           : 8GEC32WW
UefiGop  : 9.0.1074
PLATFORM REFERENCE CODE INFORMATION
CPU/SA/PCH/ME/ACPI                  2.2.1
Microcode                      Version
Kaby Lake Refresh U Y-0 MC0806EA_00000095_00000096
CHANGES
[Important updates]
1. update EC to 8GEC32WW
[New]
[Problem fixes]
1. fix touch panel may be triggered after Lid close when OS power option lid close do nothing
[Known issue]
1. none
VERSION INFORMATION
The following versions of BIOS have been released to date.
[Released Versions]
   Versions              The date
  ---------               ----------------
  8GCN32WW         2018-10-09
  8GCN31WW         2018-08-15
  8GCN30WW         2018-07-12
<8GCN32WW>
-(important) update EC to 8GEC32WW
-(fix) fix touch panel may be triggered after Lid close when OS power option lid close do nothing
<8GCN31WW>
-(important) update EC to 8GEC30WW
-(important) update Fan control table for better thermal control
-(important) update DPTF settings to optimize performance
-(new) support ME WU update
-(fix) fix Break key scan code issue
-(fix) fix CapsLock status change to unlock after hibernation
-(fix) fix BIOS major release  flag issue
-(fix) fix panel replacement caused touch panel ID issue
<8GCN30WW>
-(important) initial release for product
UPDATE Method
Windows:
1. run Lenovo BIOS update utility 8GCN32WW.exe
2 after BIOS update, please enter BIOS setup to load default settings
END

@zolthanthegypsy, thanks for pointing us to 7zip, but other ZIP files I have downloaded from here unzip just fine without having to install a third-party software utility.  So...I will work with 7zip, but I still think Lenovo should correct the file on the support site.

HPFugitive
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,395
Message 7 of 16

One more thing, to answer your other question:  No, I do not see anything different on my machine after the update (other than the displayed BIOS version), but I wasn't really having a problem that needed attention.  So nothing different is a good thing, in this case.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,375
Message 8 of 16

@HPFugitive wrote:
@zolthanthegypsy, thanks for pointing us to 7zip, but other ZIP files I have downloaded from here unzip just fine without having to install a third-party software utility.  So...I will work with 7zip, but I still think Lenovo should correct the file on the support site.

Understood.  Please post your concern on the Support Site Feedback page that I linked above.

regards,

Z.

JG130
Paper Tape
Views: 1,302
Message 9 of 16

Hi

If you unzip with 7zip then the exe file will be extracted and you can make the firmware update.

Lenovo did a mistake and 7zip solves automatically the mistake by using rar features to extract the file (see comment after using 7zip).

Lenovo support "Experts" could not help on that after 4 contacts.

Regards, JG130

doink
Paper Tape
Views: 1,241
Message 10 of 16

Thank you @zoltanthegypsy ! You're right I was checking the exe rather than the zip, my bad! @JG130 thanks for explaining what the issue was, will feedback to Lenovo using the link @zoltanthegypsy provided and hope they do something for the future.

@HPFugitive many thanks for your feedback on BIOS update process and posting the details of the updates! That gave me confidence to go ahead with the firmware upgrades and it was easy enough as you said Smiley Happy 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors