Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SDMike
Paper Tape
Views: 565
Message 1 of 11

Yoga C930 Battery Issue - Battery at 25% after sitting for just 4 days

Hello brain trust. - I purchased a Yoga c930 for my daughter to use at college and I noticed that after shutting down (using windoes shut down, not sleep mode), the battery will deplete down to around 25% after sitting totally off for just 4 days. I've tested this a couple of times and it's consistent. In addition, it will then fully charge after around 45 minutes on the charger, even though the charge icon in the systray says it will take around double that time

I've not used it enough to check the battery life in use, but since my Dell laptop will fire up after going weeks and weeks without a charge, there seems to be something wrong with this machine if it's depleting the battery like that while totally shut down. Any suggestions on what to check or how to diagnose why this is happening? 

Thanks in advance

Guru
Views: 544
Message 2 of 11

Re: Yoga C930 Battery Issue - Battery at 25% after sitting for just 4 days

Welcome to the forums.  Similiar thing happened to me on my X1 Yoga.  Have you tried turning off fast-startup?  It helped me.  It reduced drain for me.  With SSD vs HDD boot up is still very fast with it turned off.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/HT501793

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

SDMike
Paper Tape
Views: 538
Message 3 of 11

Thanks. I'll take a look. Does fast startup mean it's sitting there in some kind of standby mode and not really off?

n314
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 532
Message 4 of 11

Hi

I've just purchased a c930 and don't seem to have this issue. I've sent mine for repair due to a defective hinge so I can't experiment on it either.

Could you further describe how this issue occurs? Is it a gradual battery drain of x percentage every day, or does it suddenly start draining until 25% remaining at 4 days.

One thing I would like to point out is the "always on power" feature of the c930. It allows you to plug something into the big usb port and charge it, like your phone even when windows has shut down, basically acting like a big battery pack.

Do you have a mouse/accesories connected to the computer when it is turned off? Perhaps it is leaking power to those accessories unintentionally and slowly draining the battery.

To turn off "always on power"

• Press the FN key and POWER BUTTON at the same time
  • You should see a menu called "Novo Button" come up with several options
  • Use the arrow keys to select "BIOS Setup" and press enter
  • Once inside the BIOS, navigate using arrow keys to the "Configuration" tab
  • Within that tab, there should be an option called "Always On USB"
  • Press enter to select that option, select "disable"
  • Save changes and restart the system

Although that wil prevent you from using your computer to charge phones/other devices when shut off, hopefully it will prevent the battery from continuously draining when shut down.

I recall seeing a review somewhere mentioning the same issue regarding ghost battery drain even with windows completely off. I do not remember if that reviewer has resolved their problem, although replacing the motherboard usually fixes this kind of problem (if it persists after disabling "always on usb"

Guru
Views: 531
Message 5 of 11

Thats my understanding.  Its not really turning off.  I also turned off "always on USB".  

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

SDMike
Paper Tape
Views: 524
Message 6 of 11

Great information! I have a low profile 256GB Samsung USB drive plugged in all the time for extra storage. While I can't imagine that thing draining the battery being solid state and without me accessing anything, it can't be doing me any favors. I will disable the port in the Bios. Thanks for the hint.

I have not checked to see if the degradation is gradual or if it is fast and levels out (or vice versa). I will shut it down and check over the next several days. 

Guru
Views: 520
Message 7 of 11

When you disable make sure you are disabling "always on" not the whole port.  I assume you will still need the port while machine is on.  Sorry for being redundant.

Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

SDMike
Paper Tape
Views: 492
Message 8 of 11

N314 - I was unable to get a response from FN/PWR at the same time. However, before checking other ways to get into the BIOS, I opened the Lenovo utility thaat came with the computer and right there on the first page was a slider for always on USB. The default was on, so I turned it off. Do you think I still need to go into the BIOS or would that be sufficient? I heard the USB disconnect and reconnect when I hit that, so I'm sure it did something

Guru
Views: 484
Message 9 of 11

What you did should be sufficient to turn off Always on USB.  I would also reboot to make sure settings took. BUT if you want to get in to BIOS and are having problems you can get into BIOS through windows 10 by  following the below support article.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-c930-13ikb-glass/s...

Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

SDMike
Paper Tape
Views: 365
Message 10 of 11

I just wanted to update everyone on this. I turned off the "always on" capability of the USB port, and I disabled fast startup as described earlier in the thread. I'm happy to report that in the last 6 days since doing this, the computer has still retained 90% of it's charge. The problem has been solved. Remember, I probably had some of this issue because I always keep a low profile 256GB thumb drive in the USB port, so I suspect the "always on" USB was a large part of the problem. 

-Thanks everyone

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors